Would You Trade for Michael Johnson?

HoosierCat

So, that whole MJ thing in Tampa hasn't worked out real well.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/bucs-face-7-million-question-on-michael-johnson/

PFT raises the possibility that the Bucs could trade or even cut MJ outright. Last year he signed a five-year, $44 million deal, of which one year and $9 million are already gone. PFT's contract breakdown is different that spotrac's and I think I believe the latter more:

/>http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/michael-johnson/

That's a very, very friendly deal. It would basically be a four-year, $35 million with zero guaranteed money (and thus zero dead money) after this season.

Given that the Bengals are almost certain to get 3rd and 5th round comp picks (and that 5th may be higher) I would be happy to hand our normal 3rd round pick over. Fills a huge hole on the d-line with a known quantity who knows the system, and who can slide right in to provide instant impact.

So, that whole MJ thing in Tampa hasn't worked out real well.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/bucs-face-7-million-question-on-michael-johnson/

PFT raises the possibility that the Bucs could trade or even cut MJ outright. Last year he signed a five-year, $44 million deal, of which one year and $9 million are already gone. PFT's contract breakdown is different that spotrac's and I think I believe the latter more:

/>http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/michael-johnson/

That's a very, very friendly deal. It would basically be a four-year, $35 million with zero guaranteed money (and thus zero dead money) after this season.

Given that the Bengals are almost certain to get 3rd and 5th round comp picks (and that 5th may be higher) I would be happy to hand our normal 3rd round pick over. Fills a huge hole on the d-line with a known quantity who knows the system, and who can slide right in to provide instant impact.

Didn't the Bengals offer him 40 million for 5 years? For me, money is not my God. I would much, much rather stay on a competitive team for 40 million, then go to the basement for an extra 4 million. Sorry, but if I can't ride the rest of my life on 40 million, then something is seriously wrong! IMHO! ;)

Yeah, I would think giving up a draft pick (3rd or 4th) would be a no brainer when considering how poor our pass rush was and that MJ has good knowledge of the system and personnel. I know I wouldn't be even a little bit upset with that thought. I would think Zimmer would have an interest in seeing MJ up in Minny as well.

The Bengals offer wasn't as close as it looked because there's no income tax in Florida.

Income tax or not, I'm still staying on a winner and making my 30 million, after taxes. When does the fan get to the point where they aren't willing to continue to support these guys, who will NEVER make enough money in their eyes! There are millions of fans across the country who live and breathe this stuff. That's why I love to see the rookies come in, and particularly the undrafted FAs, at least until the novelty wears off on them. They are just thrilled to be IN the NFL. For them, initially, it's not about all the millions they are going to make or try to make, they just feel blessed to have a job that they don't have to work for minimum wage at. (Manziel the exception)

IMHO.

When does the fan get to the point where they aren't willing to continue to support these guys, who will NEVER make enough money in their eyes!

When apathy sets in.

Good luck!

Yeah, I was going to say never.

We root for the team to win regardless of who's wearing the uniform.

There are players I like more than others, but they come and go.

For those that have been here a while, they will remember a time I couldn't envision this team without Chad Johnson.

Boy did that take an odd turn.

I have absolutely no problem with a guy chasing the money in the NFL. The average NFL career is three years, and even for those who make it beyond that, they are one injury away from it all being over. How many Bengals have we watched go poof? Dennis Weathersby, Charles Fisher, David Pollack, Peter Warrick, Levi Jones, Kenny Irons, Ki-Jana Carter, Ickey Woods, Kahlid Abdullah (remember him?). It might just have happened again to Vontaze Burfict.

No, I don't blame MJ one bit.

I get that their playing days might not last long for sure. I don't think much about the overall aspect of a contract, but rather the guaranteed money. I think MJ got like 24 million guaranteed when he signed with the Bucs. Any ideas what the guaranteed coin from the Bengals was reported to be at ??

I think about a number like 20 million and it's staggering to me.

Without going into detail, i'm doing well in life these days and am a blessed man for it.

That being said, I could work another 20 years (and will) and not come close to seeing even a quarter of that kind of money.

Crazy to think about.

This should be done without any hesitation. Can they wait to see what compensatory pick they get? If so, then send the other pick we'd have in that round for him. That, or wait till they cut him.

Whatever the issue was down there, MJ never had any issue making an impact in the Cincy group.

. Can they wait to see what compensatory pick they get?

I don't think you can trade away comp picks .....i may be wrong and no doubt someone more atune to the rulings will be able to give confirmation of how it stands

I can't see this happening. I'm guessing the Bucs see MJ as integral to their defense. It is funny to see members of this board wanting MJ back. I remember many on here didn't want to sign him. It is similar to the hate Gresham and Rey M receive. When those guys go to another team, people will realize that they brought very good football play to the Bengals.

The local media and the national media shape people's views on players often. Marcus Hunt is a big white foreigner who impress Bengals fans with his unique size in a league where black players dominate every position aside from QB. But he never was going to replace MJ. He just became a fan favorite.

On TV, Gresham's penalties are easy to spot since the camera is focused on the line of scrimmage before the snap. What you can't see on standard broadcasts is how incredibly well he blocks in all aspects as well as how good of s route runner he is. Sure, it is easy to see he sticks his hand out for extra yardage and makes tv viewers nervous. The truth is, he rarely fumbles. When he leaves, the bengals are one step close to the days of some no name Reggie Kelly or Matt Schoebel lining up at TE.

This brings me to our savior, Tyler Eifert. The guy has shown nothing other than the tendency to get injured. Yes, again he is a hyped big college prospect who looks a lot more white than he does black. I'm not pulling the race card at all. I'm more commenting on the fact that I live in a country where white is in the .05% minority so Ibe a unique perspective on how people feel closer to those who are more similar to them. Back to football, if Eifert gets the same stats as Gresham has in his career, I predict fans will say he is the better player.

Nice to see you back Gap. I won't comment about the black / white thought process, as I just want a player that I feel is an upgrade to what we currently have on the roster. I can't say as I was thrilled with the Hunt pick as there were other players on the board that I felt would have made an impact that year. His play had nothing to do with MJ leaving in my book, but the potential must have made the coaching staff comfortable seeing MJ leave. That being said, I didn't see any situation where both MJ and Dunlap would have stayed at that price as the organization wasn't going to sink that kind of money into the d-line.

In regards to Gresham, I will be more than happy to comment (and I have before) that he's a very good blocker. However, I don't think much more of him that that. I think he has yet to live up to the hype that came with him coming out of college for a first round player. It has nothing to do with him being black and Eifert being white. Eifert hasn't been injury prone either. This hasn't been a trend of his and it wasn't like his injury was some odd occurance. He got hit with a helmet straight to the arm. I think Eifert has some concerns with route running (rounding them off) early on, but am more than comfortable moving forward with him, Hewitt, and another TE through FA or the draft. Gresham could very well move on and have greater success. It happens all the time in the league. I won't miss him though.

Rey Maualuga has certainly earned coming back in 2015, but that wasn't a foregone conclussion heading into this season. I will give him all the credit in the world for what he did this season and his run stopping ability was very evident when he wasn't in the game. That being said, the LB position is still one of the weakest positions on the whole team and needs to be upgraded further.

How fans feel about Gresham appears to be moot at this point. Jermaine has reportedly worn out his welcome with the coaching staff and is 100% gone. So that's that. I agree they will miss his blocking, but good blocking TEs aren't that difficult to find or expensive to sign.

Eifert hasn't proven much yet one way or another.

Everyone had high hopes for Hunt. Hasn't panned out yet, though getting hurt this past season didn't help. I think we all would have been happy to keep MJ (I seem to recall willy wanting to cut Hall and use the money for MJ) but it was a case of having already given big $$$ to Geno and Dunlap.

As for Maualuga, he's had some good years and bad years and run-stuffing MLBs aren't that tough to find.