hy cna't we make changes?

combatbengal

Coach John Fox went 46-18, wins four division titles in four seasons with a Super Bowl appearance as let go after last week's loss! We have Marvin that hasn't won a playoff game in how many years and he's still our coach! Just shows how bad we really want to win! I'm sitting around this past weekend watching football wondering why we can't have an Aaron rogers type of QB!!

Hey Mike Brown, here is an idea, bold one at that. Promote Marvin to GM and Hire Fox as our Coach!

I think we have to all agree that the Brown's run this team to a different, "sub-excellent" standard measure for success. I see them defining success as being just good enough to keep fans baited in to buying PSLs and tickets but not so good that the fan base comes to expect constant elite level teams, which in turn can mean big lulls in support (and revenue). Steady eddy business.

Elway and Bowlen are only interested in another Lombardi trophy. That is their standard. All the titles, championship games, "almost" don't count. I think they knew that they'd hit the ceiling with Fox, and I think Fox probably thought that this was Manning's final big push to get another ring, so the thread had played out.

I'm of the belief that some of what the Brown's do is good. A certain level of continuity, as a strategy, is one of the keys that have helped this team emerge from the dark times <shudder>. Now that the team has emerged, and stabilized into a more than average team, the net effect is the fans want more. Like win a simple playoff game. Do we talk about the season they dominated the AFC North (8-0) with a serious running game, or do we talk about getting man handled by the Jets in the playoff game that year? the latter.

Under our current conditions, I don't see Hue leaving, and I don't see Marvin leaving at least until after 2015. So that means unless Dalton regresses into Brian Hoyer, he will be pulling the trigger. No meaningful, read risky, change will occur until after the 2015 season.

What I would like them to do is get some fresh blood under Hue. Let Hue choose his QB coach, WR coach, TE coach, O-line coach and build it to be what he needs. I think that to fully express his offensive philosophy, he should have that latitude (if he does not already). It also would mean he'd have a coaching staff if Marvin exits after 2015 and Hue could slide over to HC, again the continuity point.

Even if I were the owner, I'd probably not outright "fire" Marvin right now to go after Fox or Shanahan or some other mega change. Not unless we'd had a drastic season and Dalton had performed far worse tan he did. Then I'd immediately fire Marvin and most of the offensive staff, dump Dalton, and have moderate roster purge. Fresh start.

I think they knew that they'd hit the ceiling with Fox, and I think Fox probably thought that this was Manning's final big push to get another ring, so the thread had played out.

To this point, I think every team's situation is unique.

Is Elway more committed to winning a championship than Brown? I doubt it. But you are right that, committed or not, they were at a crossroads. Even if Manning comes back for one last hurrah, he's only a caretaker for the QB Who Will Come After Him. Perfect time for a regime change, especially if it buys you time to sit a rookie QB for a year to learn.

To the question asked in the title of the thread, I don't think you're seeing any changes this year for two reasons. One, they did just make the postseason for a fourth straight year, and contrary to popular opinion that's a pretty big deal. They aren't a bad team. And two, because blowing it up this year doesn't make sense from either a free agency or cap point of view. Going into 2016 is a different story.

Coach #1

Last 5 years: 41-31

Winnng records: 2

Playoff seasons: 1

Playoff record: 1-1

Division titles: 1

Result? New $30 million contract!

Coach #2

Last 5 years: 44-35

Winning records: 4

Playoff seasons: 4

Playoff record: 0-4

Division titles: 1

Result? FIRE HIM FIRE HIM NOT COMMITTED TO WINNING SETTLING FOR MEDIOCRITY ARGLE BARGLE BLAAAAAAAGH!!!!

It's hard to argue that making the playoffs the last four years means little. It's huge.

I see the stats. I agree. To an extent.

The biggest thing that I got from these playoff games this far is that this team is not near on the level of what kind of coaching it will take to advance in the playoffs. Compared to other teams, like the Ravens, the Bengals looked like they were stuck in first gear.

Marvin is 0-6 now. He's been outscored 84-13 in the second half of his playoff games. None of his teams have scored more than 17 points in any one of those games. I'd even argue that none of those playoff games were even close.

So, while I see 4 years of playoffs as a high mark, I have to ask can Marvin get them to the next level? How many years of the same thing, or less, is ok?

Everything has it's turning point and everything has it's end. I'm beginning to wonder if his time here isn't short lived.

I don't know if Marvin has it or not, but...well, let me put it this way. I live in the Chicago area, but I still fly the colors. There's a Bengals plate on my car, a Bengals church key on my keychain and a Bengals case on my iPhone. On football Sunday I walk the dog before the game in my old Chad jersey. And no one bats an eye. No one laughs. I can talk football in bars with Colts and Bears fans, and we're just another good team out there.

The only place I hear all this massive moaning about Dalton and Marvin is online. The one place I go to talk about the Bengals...and I'm talking the net in general not specifically here...is the miserablest place, as far as Bengals talk, that I know. it bums you out after a while. But like I said, I'm apparently not typical. I'm the outlier.

Now if you'll excuse me I have clouds to go shout at and kids to get off my lawn...

Yep! I'm the same except that I live in Norwood and have a David Fulcher jersey. I've been a fan since I was 5 back in 1982. I had season tickets from 2005 to 2010. So, you could say things got pretty serious.

I do know this. You can be critical of parts of the team and still be a fan. You can hold different opinions than other fans and still be a fan. I have an opinion and it's nothing more than that.

I do think changes are inevitable for this team. I think it starts in 2016 with Marvin potentially not renewing his contract. I could be wrong but we'll see.

Hobson's latest Choice column:

Question 1: ANDY DALTON SUCKS!

Question 2: FIRE MARVIN!

Question 3: FIRE MARVIN!

Question 4: Why didn't Rex Burkhead get more carries in the playoff game?

Question 5: ANDY DALTON SUCKS!

Question 6: What's with all the injuries?

Question 7: Whitworth is awesome!

Question 8: ANDY DALTON SUCKS!

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-debates-abound/0d521ea7-8787-48f4-ade1-e4996c0d43d2

It's gonna be a looooooong offseason...

Hobson's latest Choice column:

Question 1: ANDY DALTON SUCKS!

Question 2: FIRE MARVIN!

Question 3: FIRE MARVIN!

Question 4: Why didn't Rex Burkhead get more carries in the playoff game?

Question 5: ANDY DALTON SUCKS!

Question 6: What's with all the injuries?

Question 7: Whitworth is awesome!

Question 8: ANDY DALTON SUCKS!

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-debates-abound/0d521ea7-8787-48f4-ade1-e4996c0d43d2

It's gonna be a looooooong offseason...

Indeed. This is what Mo Egger was referring to. The dullness and stale state of discussion topics.

Hopefully things shift with FA and draft talk.