2015 Bengals Free Agents

HoosierCat

What do you want to do with Cincinnati's free agents? My thoughts:

Franchise tag:

Jermaine Gresham – yup, franchise. I don’t want to give him a big-money long-term deal because he’s just not that good, but he was the last healthy TE left standing (barely) at the end of the regular season. With Eifert still recovering they need to stabilize the position at least for 2015. The 2014 tag amount was $7 million.

Re-sign medium-to-long term:

Cedric Peerman – special teams standout, locker room leader.

Clint Boling – not a special player but likely as good as anything we could find in FA.

Re-sign short-term:

Rey Maualuga – good against the run but is it really that hard to find a run-stuffing MLB?

Terence Newman – may retire. Would be great depth if willing to accept a reserve role.

Taylor Mays – provides good depth, cheap, knows the system, etc.

Alex Smith – if he is healthy.

Eric Winston – played well all things considered. Would be good to have around considering how often Moobs gets dinged.

Buh-bye:

Jason Campbell – McCarron takes over as No. 2 in 2015.

Marshall Newhouse – sucks

Brandon Tate – see Marshall Newhouse

Mike Nugent – it’s time. So long and thanks for all the kicks.

Devon Still (RFA) – see Marshall Newhouse

Tender:

Emmanuel Lamur (RFA) – servicable.

Who cares:

Chris Lewis-Harris (ERFA)

Kevin Brock (RFA)

Tyler Hansen (RFA)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No real objections, Hoosier.

I read a twitter comment this morning that several Bengals coaches want nothing to do with Gresham. Don't know what validity there is to that, but if so he'll be a goner. Not the worst thing ever as long as Eifert is healthy and that money is well spent elsewhere.

Also, I think I value Maualuga more than many around here. His return tot he lineup made a noticeable difference, and I think he's come a long way in the passing game. Maybe you find his replacement in the draft, but he's a known quantity, plays at least acceptably well, and shouldn't break the bank. We can get a couple more affordable and effective years out of him.

Gresham can eat a dick. Let him go and take the comp pick in 2016. Whatever else works for me, just move on.

Maualuga proved himself this year in what he means to the run game. Too bad it's taken this long, but I would be good with his return.

Getting Burfict back and someone worth while on the other side would be huge.

Others ?? Can't really say. I don't see anything that couldn't be upgraded.

Gresham can eat a dick. Let him go and take the comp pick in 2016. Whatever else works for me, just move on.

I'd be happy to see Gresham walk and surprised he hasn't already started walking drawing a flag on the play !!

Eifert back and complimented by Hewitt (who I thought progressed really well as he got more playing time), Alex Smith and Kevin Brock ....take a developmental TE in the draft or pick up a reasonable replacement as a FA.

I read a twitter comment this morning that several Bengals coaches want nothing to do with Gresham.

So I see. That's...challenging. Hue's system was supposed to use lots of multiple TE sets, or so we all heard last offseason. Obviously that plan went out the window 10 minutes into the season, but even if they get Eifert back they'll need someone decent opposite him. (And yes I like Hewitt too but I'd prefer he stay at fullback.) Since I doubt there will be much available in FA other than blocking TEs and old washed up dudes, that points to the draft. And the TE class sucks.

Well, if they don't want Gresham back, then they should just let him go and shut up about it. These kind of bush-league rumors trickling out of the locker room basically stopped after the Palmer era went belly up and I'd rather not see those times return.

I'd like to see Still tendered at the 'draft selection' level. Fairly cheap, and gets us a r2 pick on the off chance that some team wants to import a feel good story, and now that Leah seems stable I really think he still has some upside and could be better than average in 2015. Worst case - let Peko go, keep him, and get average DT play same as Peko for far less money than we pay Peko

I'd like to see Still tendered at the 'draft selection' level. Fairly cheap, and gets us a r2 pick on the off chance that some team wants to import a feel good story, and now that Leah seems stable I really think he still has some upside and could be better than average in 2015. Worst case - let Peko go, keep him, and get average DT play same as Peko for far less money than we pay Peko

It'd be good to see some reciprocal commitment from Still towards the Bengals organisation. Also with his daughter (hopefully) not on the decline, then Devon may be able to give a bit more mental attention to his game (human nature that in his circumstance your heads not 100% on the job) and we should (again hopefully) see an upward swing in his performance.

It'd be good to see some reciprocal commitment from Still towards the Bengals organisation. Also with his daughter (hopefully) not on the decline, then Devon may be able to give a bit more mental attention to his game (human nature that in his circumstance your heads not 100% on the job) and we should (again hopefully) see an upward swing in his performance.

She still only have a 50/50 shot. There's a long road to go...

Not sure where that leaves Devon, football-wise.

As ar as I'm concerned Gresham can go too! He is either hurt and can or wont play, gets a 15 yard penalty in every game or fumbles the ball! Not that great of an asset. Tate should have ben gone years ago!

What do you want to do with Cincinnati's free agents? My thoughts:

Franchise tag:

Jermaine Gresham – yup, franchise. I don’t want to give him a big-money long-term deal because he’s just not that good, but he was the last healthy TE left standing (barely) at the end of the regular season. With Eifert still recovering they need to stabilize the position at least for 2015. The 2014 tag amount was $7 million.

Re-sign medium-to-long term:

Cedric Peerman – special teams standout, locker room leader.

Clint Boling – not a special player but likely as good as anything we could find in FA.

Re-sign short-term:

Rey Maualuga – good against the run but is it really that hard to find a run-stuffing MLB?

Terence Newman – may retire. Would be great depth if willing to accept a reserve role.

Taylor Mays – provides good depth, cheap, knows the system, etc.

Alex Smith – if he is healthy.

Eric Winston – played well all things considered. Would be good to have around considering how often Moobs gets dinged.

Buh-bye:

Jason Campbell – McCarron takes over as No. 2 in 2015.

Marshall Newhouse – sucks

Brandon Tate – see Marshall Newhouse

Mike Nugent – it’s time. So long and thanks for all the kicks.

Devon Still (RFA) – see Marshall Newhouse

Tender:

Emmanuel Lamur (RFA) – servicable.

Who cares:

Chris Lewis-Harris (ERFA)

Kevin Brock (RFA)

Tyler Hansen (RFA)

According to Hobbs, looks like Gresham is gone and Hewitt is expected to take over TE. Not sure what will happen st FB.

Of course they will. :rolleyes: why not take a perfectly good FB, the best they've had since JJ, and start up the always-a-failure combo FB/TE experiment?

According to Hobbs, looks like Gresham is gone and Hewitt is expected to take over TE. Not sure what will happen st FB.

Of course they will. :rolleyes:/> why not take a perfectly good FB, the best they've had since JJ, and start up the always-a-failure combo FB/TE experiment?

I have no problem adding some TE routes onto what Hewitt was doing this season. I don't want him to be just a TE though, that would be very dumb.

Of course they will. :rolleyes:/>/> why not take a perfectly good FB, the best they've had since JJ, and start up the always-a-failure combo FB/TE experiment?

I have no problem adding some TE routes onto what Hewitt was doing this season. I don't want him to be just a TE though, that would be very dumb.

Not disagreeing with this whatsoever. I like seeing everyone's opinion about what they 'should' do and there are some very logical ideas. I also like to see what the franchise is 'actually' doing, so we know what cards we have in our hand!

If you want a TE, sign a TE. If you want a FB, sign a FB. This hybrid stuff very rarely works. See Coates, Dan; Charles, Orson; and about every OLB/DE hybrid they've ever tried.

Besides, if there's one guy I don't want coaching a good player like Hewitt it's Jonathan "can't develop a TE to save my life" Hayes.