2015 Draft Priorities

TJJackson

I'm still hoping for that 3rd round comp pick. If that happens, they are set up pretty nicely for the draft.

DL, OT, LB, and TE all in the first three rounds.

I say TE because I do hope 2014 was the last for Gresham even though I think the team would like him back.

DL could be either DE or DT, whichever one presents the best pass rush option.

OT needs to be addressed now. I like what they have with Whit, Winston, and Moobs, but that won't last forever.

LB is a huge need in my book and I don't care about the likes of the backups and injured guys outisde of Burfict.

I want both a FA vet WR, I will gladly jump on the "Bring Fitzgerald to Cincinnati train" with Skyline, as well as a youngster in the draft.

What does it tell you when you have guys like Tate, Little, and Hamilton getting less targets in a playoff game than Burkhead ??

If that guy has some return abilities, all the better, just bring the speed with that pick.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still hoping for that 3rd round comp pick. If that happens, they are set up pretty nicely for the draft.

DL, OT, LB, and TE all in the first three rounds.

I say TE because I do hope 2014 was the last for Gresham even though I think the team would like him back.

DL could be either DE or DT, whichever one presents the best pass rush option.

OT needs to be addressed now. I like what they have with Whit, Winston, and Moobs, but that won't last forever.

LB is a huge need in my book and I don't care about the likes of the backups and injured guys outisde of Burfict.

I want both a FA vet WR, I will gladly jump on the "Bring Fitzgerald to Cincinnati train" with Skyline, as well as a youngster in the draft.

What does it tell you when you have guys like Tate, Little, and Hamilton getting less targets in a playoff game than Burkhead ??

If that guy has some return abilities, all the better, just bring the speed with that pick.

Love it.

However, the Fitzgerald hype should be buried with the MB hiring a GM hype.

Yeah, you know how it goes here in Cincy...

[Geoff Hobson]

March whatever (bengals.com) - The NFL free agent signing period opens in less than 48 hours, but don't expect the Bengals to bid for Larry Fitzgerald or Ndamukong Suh. As usual, the Bengals will not overpay for talent in free agency. Instead, will sit back and let the market come to them.

Even if they wanted to, the Bengals couldn't afford a top-dollar free agent. After extending Robert Geathers ($25 million), Jermaine Gresham ($30 million) and Leon Hall ($50 million), they need to save money to re-sign AJ Green after this season.

[/Geoff Hobson]

Want to have some fun, while looking at who may or may not be there come draft day ??

Try this one -> http://www.first-pick.com/Default.aspx

It's free to sign up and while they haven't updated things yet in regards to draft order, it presents a good way to kill some time.

I don't like the fantastical trades they propose and go strictly with what's there.

When looking at that and some of the prospect rankings out there, I really do wonder how they go with this come draft day.

I'm thinking the best player available will really be challenged when looking at their needs vs. depth at some of those positions.

[Geoff Hobson]

March whatever (bengals.com) - The NFL free agent signing period opens in less than 48 hours, but don't expect the Bengals to bid for Larry Fitzgerald or Ndamukong Suh. As usual, the Bengals will not overpay for talent in free agency. Instead, will sit back and let the market come to them.

Even if they wanted to, the Bengals couldn't afford a top-dollar free agent. After extending Robert Geathers ($25 million), Jermaine Gresham ($30 million) and Leon Hall ($50 million), they need to save money to re-sign AJ Green after this season.

[/Geoff Hobson]

I'm really hoping this is satire.

[Geoff Hobson]

[/Geoff Hobson]

Would not surprise me one bit.

I do think there is some level of roster turn-over this off-season.

I think Geathers, Peko and Hall are all goners. There's no shortage of D-line FAs or talent in the draft. Bengals should be active for a FA DT or DE. Thinking a guy like Adrian Clayborn or maybe bring back Nick Hayden.

I've expressed my feelings, business side, for Hall and his decline in play has never been more vident over the last 5-6 weeks. I have to think they will not keep paying him at the current level. Kirkpatrick and Dennard showed me enough to feel good about Hall moving on. Now, whether Newman and Jones keep going is also another question, so CB could be another area in FA or the draft to have a look.

At TE, with Eifert coming back and Brock looking decent blocking, adding a veteran and/or drafting a decent prospect makes sense. I just can't see Gresham back.

To me, the draft must focus on the following:

DE/DT - At DT, they need more better talent and depth than Thompson or Still. I think there are enough DEs with r1 grades to grab one of the top guys there, since I doubt they go after a high $ FA.

LB - I think they are one key guy away from securing this group. Much of the LB group has had challenges avoiding injury. Burfict simply needs to take the time to get right before he comes back, and him being shut down is probably a shining moment for the Bengals management this season. Smart. I can't complain about the depth they brought in like Nico Johnson and Chris Carter. They showed OK in the limited sample size. certainly they didn't botch it up grotesquely.

WR - without Jones or Green, there is not much on the cupboard. Sanu is a nice player but can't carry the load of a #2. Tate and Sanzenbackup are just lucky to actually have jobs. Still mystified at the team ignoring WR, knowing Hawk was a goner, and Jones still being a question mark. Guys on the board in r3 like Martavis Bryant and Donte Moncreif should have been considered. There will be guys like that from r2-5, maybe Funchess or Coates and I hope they really look hard there. Guys like Little and Hamilton will not stick.

OT - Winston has been solid, and maybe if they keep him as the new Collins (veratile back-up) as they add another high-upside propsect, they will be set. Newhouse was hot/cold. Whitworth had a nice year but is another year older. Moobs injury history is troubling at best.

so, those are my thoughts.

Let me ask you this and I'm not being rhetorical because I do not know the answer to this.

Have the Bengals ever recently bought a veteran free agent? I know they have gotten free agents that didn't get drafted and I know they've gotten free agents to replace injured players but here they ever drafted and bought a veteran free agent?

Good thoughts as usual willy.

I doubt Peko goes since they just gave him an extension in 2014. The silver lining is at $3.7 million his paycheck is likely to be a much better match for his performance than it was this season (nearly $6 million).

Hall has a $7.7 million salary due this year. I can't see him getting that, either, but I could see some sort of 2-3 year extension getting worked out than brings it down to more like $3-4 million. Or they could just part ways but that isn't like them.

Moobs is due $5.6 million in salary and roster bonus, Whitworth $6 million in salary and bonus. And both are free agents after 2015. I have to think they won't want to lose both tackles at the same time, but what do you do? Both guys have injury histories. Whit has leadership, Moobs youth. I think in the end they would go with Whit but it could depend on what happens in 2015.

Pacman stays I think. He's only making like $1.6 million in 2015. Newman's deal is up and I think his time here is, too.

One other guy to consider: Mike Nugent is a free agent. I would move on.

Info taken from the "roster" page of the .com

C - Bodine, TJ Johnson and Pollack if needed, I think we're set here.

CB - we seem fairly strong here although Terence Newman is 36, perhaps we need to look at an option either via the latter rounds of the draft or through the undrafted players. Perhaps Ontario McCalebb will step up into the roster spot and we can fill his position on the PS squad??

DE/DT - the lack of pass rush defies the personnel on the roster. Perhaps the play-calling was at fault?? Whatever, I think Peko and Geathers have maybe lost their edge and Geno still needs to prove full recovery. Clarke, Dunlap, Hunt, Still, Thompson, Gilberry are the core but we need that extra dynamic that Geno once provided ...got to address that in the draft early IMHO.

G - Boling, Pollack, Zeitler. All set here.

K - Nugent is 32 and is reliable so set here.

LB - it's a pretty youthful corps with Burfict (24), Maualuga (27) , Vinny Rey (27), Lamur (25), Johnson (24), Di Mache (24), Carter (25), Flowers (22), Porter (23), Fort (25). So although we have longevity in the squad I think we lack some quality and would absolutely love to see a monster LB added in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

OT - Whitworth (33) and Winston (31) are the old men of the line. Moobs coming back should help. I don't know anything about Dan France on the PS but I do know I won't shed any tears if Outhouse leaves town.

P - Huber is the man.

QB - lets not debate the scenario, Dalton is the guy whether you want him to be or not. Campbell and McCarren will back up. Npthing to be added here unless McCarren loses out in a training camp battle to A.N.Other.

RB - Hill is the guy, Gio, Burkhead, Peerman,....depending on how the coaches see things perhaps a latter round draft pick to stir it up for Rex and Cedric??

S - Iloka and Reggie Nelson are in. Taylor Mays and Shawn Williams are the other guys although I can't see a draft pick going on a S, nor can I see the FO making a play for a vet FA at this spot.

TE - hope Eifert comes back in full vigour. Hewitt has played really well, especially with his run blocking. Gresham (IMHO) is a penalty machine with false starts, offsides, and his dropped catches all take away from his positive contribution. May be best for both parties to move on here especially as we have Brock and Smith too. TE taken in the draft.

WR - AJ needs some help and a decent reliable No.2 would be a godsend. A vet via FA would be nice but the Bengals don't do business that way. Sanzenbacher and Tate are FA's and I wouldn't mind seeing Tate go. Another young crop of the squad AJ (26), Hamilton (24), Little (25), Sanu (25), tate (27), Wright (23), Jones (24), Reese (24), ward (24) ... perhaps a late round or an undrafted will be taken.

So, on the basis of the above, the draft/FA period may include in no particular order CB, DL, LB, OT, TE, S, WR, RB

Let me ask you this and I'm not being rhetorical because I do not know the answer to this.

Have the Bengals ever recently bought a veteran free agent? I know they have gotten free agents that didn't get drafted and I know they've gotten free agents to replace injured players but here they ever drafted and bought a veteran free agent?

How do you mean "bought"? Have they signed a veteran Free Agent? sure. lots of times. They've made some notable FA signings, some have worked out, like Tory James, and some have been a debacle, like Antonio Bryant.

back a ways, they signed the SB MVP, Dexter Jackson to a rather large (overpaid) deal. They signed WR Michael Westbrook, when it was thought he'd come in and make a splash. They also signed Antonio Freeman, Lavernaeus Coles, Bobby Williams.... there've been a bunch.

But they don't go usually get into the big names. Recent flubs to land Shawn Rogers and Dashon Gholson stand out to show the front office getting played.

But they don't go usually get into the big names. Recent flubs to land Shawn Rogers and Dashon Gholson stand out to show the front office getting played.

add Warren Sapp to that category too

How do you mean "bought"? Have they signed a veteran Free Agent? sure. lots of times. They've made some notable FA signings, some have worked out, like Tory James, and some have been a debacle, like Antonio Bryant.

back a ways, they signed the SB MVP, Dexter Jackson to a rather large (overpaid) deal. They signed WR Michael Westbrook, when it was thought he'd come in and make a splash. They also signed Antonio Freeman, Lavernaeus Coles, Bobby Williams.... there've been a bunch.

Okay, so since Lewis, there haven't been any 'big name' FAs signed? I'm just trying to eliminate or add any possibilities of things we know management would do or not do, as far as improving the team.

Again, I hate to always use history as an indicator for what will or won't happen with this team moving forward.

They haven't or have done something until the do or don't do it again.

With the cap increasing and pending free agents, maybe this is the year they make a big move.

Maybe they trade up in the draft to fill holes with better (perceived) talent.

Who knows ?? I don't think you can eliminate anything with this team.

Again, I hate to always use history as an indicator for what will or won't happen with this team moving forward.

With the cap increasing and pending free agents, maybe this is the year they make a big move.

The good OR the bad!

I don't know army when history keeps repeating itself as some point you gotta give it some credibility

I think the only thing worth talking about is what they "should" do, or opinions on it.

The two areas they need immediate help are WR and DE. I think FA is the place to address these spots.

At WR, one guy I just realized that is a FA is Randall Cobb. I think he'd look pretty good in stripes, and would complement AJ and Jones in a serious manner. Moreso than other WR names getting bandied about. Could be that a TE is another option in FA but I see Eifert being the focus next year as it is. Money better spent on a more productive WR.

At DE, a guy that fits the team's pattern of subdued signings could be Adrian Clayborn. He's only 26 and has lots of talent but hasn't had great luck in TB, with their coaching changes as well as injuries. Maybe a fresh start is what he needs.

Obviously so much of this can change if Hue ends up leaving to be a HC. I doubt he gets hired away, so I'll assume he stays unless otherwise occurs.

There are plenty of players out there, but I don't suspect many of them (including Cobb) will actually hit the market.

It is nice to go on about how great it would be to gain their services, but I don't expect it to come to fruition.

I made a comment about them going full stupid last draft and taking a WR early, while naming Benjamin as a possible target.

He has a pretty nice season as a rookie on a crappy team and we certainly could have used him.

I don't know that i'd give up Dennard when looking at things long term, but in the short term, it would have been huge.

I'm left to wonder again if they would consider going that route this coming draft ??

I'm left to further wonder how stupid they could get with it ??

Dorial Green-Beckham anyone ?? ^_^

EDIT: There was no, ducking while things are thrown, smilie...