Other team's QB situations across the league

cincyhokie

Looking a bit closer at the QB situation across the NFL, you can see that it's the hardest position in the NFL to find consistent winning play.

16 of the 32 teams have starters that the team seems to be currently built around. However, only 9 of these starters are going to remain in the league after the next 3 years, more than likely. Brady, Brees, and Manning will all be retiring or severely declining in the next 2-3 years.

That means that teams like the Patriots, Saints, and Broncos are going to have to start over.

Some of the teams outright need a QB period. Some teams like the Bengals, Vikings, Jaguars, Bills, Dolphins, Eagles, Redskins all have QB's where the verdict is still out on them.

What it tells you is that the Dalton situation is far from clear. You could go away from him but what we're going to see in the next couple of years and more is a HUGE demand for QB's. It's going to make it that much harder to replace him if the Bengals decide to part ways with him after 2015.

AFC

North

Browns- Need QB

Bengals- Questionable

Ravens- Committed to QB

Steelers- Committed but QB needs replacing in 2-3 years

East

Bills- Questionable

Dolphins- Questionable

Jets- Questionable

Patriots- Committed but QB needs replacing in 2-3 years

South

Colts- Committed to QB

Jags- Questionable

Texans- Need QB

Titans- Need QB

West

Broncos- Committed but QB needs replacing in 1-2 years

Chargers- Committed to QB

Chiefs- Committed to QB

Raiders- Questionable

NFC

North

Bears- Questionable

Lions- Committed to QB

Packers- Committed to QB

Vikings- Questionable

East

Cowboys- Committed to QB but needs replacing in 2-3 years

Eagles- Questionable

Giants- Committed to QB but needs replacing in 2-3 years

Redskins- Questionable

South

Bucs- Need QB

Falcons- Committed to QB

Panthers- Committed to QB

Saints- Committed to QB but needs replacing in 2-3 years

West

Cardinals- Committed to QB but needs replacing in 2-3 years

49'ers- Questionable

Rams- Questionable

Seahawks- Committed to QB

Yup. I've thought of it as The Great QB Desert. Look at football outsiders' QB rankings for 2014.

/>http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

They rank 44 QBs with a minimum 100 passes. Dalton is smack in the middle at 22. But if you look at the guys above Andy, only about 3 (Tannehill, Wilson and Luck) are guys who've come out in the last few years. But if you look at guys below Andy, it's all the guys who have been picked from 2011 on.

It doesn't get any better this year. After Winston and Mariota, who both have their own warts, there's no one.

Looking back the 00s were really a golden age for quarterbacks. These days the well is dry.

It could be. That's the big knock on Mariota, that he plays in a very college system and will need time...and like you say NFL QBs rarely get that anymore.

My guess is that what you will see going forward is a revival at the RB position. Its already starting in some places like Cincy, Indy, Dallas, even GB where IMHO Lacy is criminally underrated. I don't think its a coincidence that Kapernick went to pot right when they seemed to dial back Gore, either.

It could be. That's the big knock on Mariota, that he plays in a very college system and will need time...and like you say NFL QBs rarely get that anymore.

My guess is that what you will see going forward is a revival at the RB position. Its already starting in some places like Cincy, Indy, Dallas, even GB where IMHO Lacy is criminally underrated. I don't think its a coincidence that Kapernick went to pot right when they seemed to dial back Gore, either.

Good points.

I'd really like to see Dalton with Eifert, Jones and Hill. I'd also like to see what a change from Zampese could do for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Broncos fans are FREAKING out right now. Not only because of the loss in the playoffs again but because Manning is probably done.

Yet, their fans are clamoring for a rebuild. Simply get "another" QB. Who?

This is just the beginning of a major shift in the change over with the QBs. Next will be Brees, then Brady. Not too far after will be Ben and Eli Manning.

I fully agree that Dalton is limited and can only be asked to do so much. But I'm really curious to see what happens in the next few years with him as he is elevated into possibly the top 10 best Qs. Not by talent but by attrition. Really curious.

Yup, ninth one-and-done. Even Andy has a ways to go to break that record.

If it wasn't for 2006, P. Manning would probably go down as the most disappointing QB in NFL history. And even that ring isn't much of a defense. The Colts won more in spite of Peyton (3 TDs, 7 INTs in four games, including the Super Bowl) than because of him.

If it wasn't for 2006, P. Manning would probably go down as the most disappointing QB in NFL history. And even that ring isn't much of a defense. The Colts won more in spite of Peyton (3 TDs, 7 INTs in four games, including the Super Bowl) than because of him.

And I would still have loved to have him play for a team I was rooted for, because he gets you to the post-season consistently. That is the only way your team can win a SB in spite of the QB.

And I would still have loved to have him play for a team I was rooted for, because he gets you to the post-season consistently. That is the only way your team can win a SB in spite of the QB.

Agreed. All I would add is that we sort of have that guy now. And no, I'm not trying to say Manning= Dalton or anything like that. But just getting to the postseason consistently isn't something to be tossed aside lightly.

Agreed. All I would add is that we sort of have that guy now. And no, I'm not trying to say Manning= Dalton or anything like that. But just getting to the postseason consistently isn't something to be tossed aside lightly.

I'm more concerned with the coaching staffs ability to get the team to advance in the playoffs than I am Dalton.

From what we've seen so far, I have no reason to believe that Lewis can match up with the other coaches come playoff time.

Watching that Denver-Indy game, there was something weird about Denver's playcalling. It was like all of the sudden, they had the spirit of Al Davis take over the offense. Vertical throws, again and again. just baffling. It was really odd and out of the blue.Deep throw, seep throw, deep throw.... anyone else scratch their head, too?