Bengals @ Colts Game Thread

Stripes

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel tons of pressure for this game. I would imagine Dalton is feeling 100 times that. We have seen him play great, and then of course horrfic. The Bengals slowed the Colts down for a few drives, but could not do anything. Having Hill back there will be huge, and of course AJ. The thing I hate about having a premier WR is that most teams that have one always seem to force them the ball. It seems completely logical that Sanu would have plenty of opportunities. The secondary has been a strength all year, and they cannot run. Just win this game, and it changes the outlook of everything going forward. A loss, and I'm pretty down. This season has sucked because as soon as the Charger game ended last year. I knew no matter what. The only question would be, "yeah but will Dalton win in the playoffs?" - I sure miss Geno Atkins. I'll have grey hair by Sunday.

Don't forget the LB crew. Both Malaluga and Lamur were out for that game. (I don't even count the times Burfict DID play after his hit on Flacco in game one, because he was never 'right', 100% Burfict, since that hit!)

I think there are valid reasons to feel good about this game. The Bengals really didn't look like a bad team in Pittsburgh, they looked like a good team that got in its own way. The week prior, they handled a quarterback just as productive as Andrew Luck. The Colts don't run the ball well and the Bengals have been playing mostly strong defense since the terrible 4th quarter in the home Steelers game. If the Bengals don't have one of their inexplicable playoff defensive collapses against the run and contain Andrew Luck, then it's totally winnable. Feed Hill all day and gut that shit out.

But if I claimed to be confident I'd be lying. Last year's playoff loss really took its toll on my ability to feel good about any playoff game until something good happens.

I listened to Eric Winston on Bengals talk on 700 on Monday. He continued to emphasize the effect of running the ball and what it does to energize the offense and the team. He sounded very confident on this team's ability to force it's will on ANY team.

I agree.

If you want to beat the Colts, you out physical them. Period.

Run the ball. Limit mistakes.

That San Diego game to end it last year was a dagger in the heart.

It was a team we beat in their house, now they were coming to the jungle, and it was a great matchup for them.

They proceeded to lose the game to a QB who didn't throw the ball 20 times.

Unreal and certainly deflating to the fanbase who really thought the Bengals could do some damage.

With this game, I just reverse the teams and situations.

The Colts have already beaten us, we have to go back into their house, and they feel the Bengals are the weakest team (by all accounts i've read).

I think the Bengals win the game with Dalton throwing a limited amount of passes, running the ball, and playing solid defense.

I am confident in a Bengals win this Sunday. I simply think this team was FAR different in the first matchup and they weren't in it mentally.

The Colts ran over them and they are thinking they can do the same again.

I don't think so and outside of Andrew Luck, I don't really even think that much of the Colts.

That San Diego game to end it last year was a dagger in the heart.

It was a team we beat in their house, now they were coming to the jungle, and it was a great matchup for them.

They proceeded to lose the game to a QB who didn't throw the ball 20 times.

Unreal and certainly deflating to the fanbase who really thought the Bengals could do some damage.

With this game, I just reverse the teams and situations.

The Colts have already beaten us, we have to go back into their house, and they feel the Bengals are the weakest team (by all accounts i've read).

I think the Bengals win the game with Dalton throwing a limited amount of passes, running the ball, and playing solid defense.

I am confident in a Bengals win this Sunday. I simply think this team was FAR different in the first matchup and they weren't in it mentally.

The Colts ran over them and they are thinking they can do the same again.

I don't think so and outside of Andrew Luck, I don't really even think that much of the Colts.

Good assessment.

It blows me away that the Ravens get so pumped up and over-inflated this time of year. A team that struggled severely in it's last 3 games on both sides of the ball, notably on the offensive side. Those 3 teams were the Jaguars, Texans, and Browns.

Though I'd like to see a Ravens win on Saturday, I'll be shocked if they do.

The Ravens get pumped up because "everybody knows" they're a great team and Ozzie is a golden god and all that. Same reason Pitt could go 0-16 and be favored to win the division the next year. Blah blah blah tradition blah blah blah Rooneys blah blah blah Steel Curtain etc. Even the Browns get pumped up every single spring.

One of my favorite things about the last few years is watching the frustration on the part of certain talking heads that the Bengals just won't quit mucking up this narrative. The Bengals are "supposed" to be the joke team, the bottom feeder, the patsy, but they just won't play their part, darn it!

If the Bengals win Sunday I expect a massive doubling down on the Bengals hate from the media because that will mean Dalton beat the Anointed One, an offense that cannot be forgiven!

I definitely agree with everyone who's said that the 27-0 drubbing has no meaning now. Essentially all of us saw a disaster coming in that game with all of the injuries and coming off the deflating Nugent miss. It really wasn't indicative of this team's shortcomings (like perhaps the losses to New England and Cleveland were), it was just a throwaway nightmare game that even good teams are going to encounter sometimes. A lot of Colts fans even seem to agree with this sentiment based on what I've read on their message boards. They overwhelmingly expect to beat us, but it's because of Dalton and our playoff pedigree rather than the 27-0 drubbing. The Bengals walked right out of that game and then promptly finished sweeping the Ravens after all.

Bradshaw was a terror in that game and he is no longer a threat. We'll probably have AJ this time (and he has almost as much to answer for in terms of playoff failures to this point as Dalton does). We'll have actual linebackers on the field that started the season on top of the depth chart. Andrew Luck has also been significantly less potent in recent weeks than he was for most of the season, due in part to the absence of T.Y. Hilton. I'm not afraid of Trent Richardson. Actually the Colts runner that I fear most is Luck, given our struggles all year containing mobile quarterbacks. Generally the matchups are all appealing here. I just hope it amounts to something for once.

It actually seems to be the emerging consensus, tho it's just Tuesday. The theory is that the Colts D has fallen off (which it has) and Luck and the O have strugged since they lost Bradshaw (which they have) so Indy is ripe for the picking. Makes me nervous as hell, it does.

I just hope Guenther is working on the most creative blitz package of his life. We need to put pressure on Luck, and that's the #1 key to this game as far as I can tell.

The Colts D isn't tough. We can run it on them as long as we don't fall behind early.

Their run game "shouldn't" be a concern.

It's all about Luck, and not letting this thing turn into a track meet...

Hoosier your losing it lol lol, it will be ok!

It's crazy I didnt think anyone would pick them to win, very suprised to see this.

I agree pressuring Luck is so important in this game, not blitzing much at all hurt them last week I thought. When the blitzed Manning I thought it really threw him off, when he stopped Manning was hitting everything. Paul you were the blitzing guru, time to show it this week, lets get this done!

Yeah, the emerging consensus seems to be built around the idea that the Bengals defense can contain an iffy Colts offense, which looks good on paper...but I can't help think of how the D has gone to pot in the last three postseason outings. They've horked up 542 yards on the ground while generating a whole three (3) sacks and one (1) turnover.

Hobson has it right in his Hobson's Choice column today: the Bengals need their big players to come up big. Dalton, AJ, Hill, Dunlap, Gio, Atkins, Pacman, Hall, Newman, Nelson, the whole enchilada. If our playmakers make play, we win going away.If they all pull the same vanishing act of years past, we're screwed.

I'm hopeful. Optimistic,even. They can do this. They should do this.

I'm gonna be a wreck by Sunday...:D