Pro Bowl Selections

JaxonFord

Andy Dalton in the pro bowl after the season he had ??

I've got nothing. If that's not an indicator of what's gone wrong with the pro bowl, they'll never get it.

When do the captains pick their teams ??

I could see Dalton and the kicking tee retrieving guy left and it being a hard decision to make.

"Dalton or the guy that runs on the field to get the kicking tee ??? Hmmmmmmm."

The "pro bowl draft" is Wednesday night. Irvin and Carter pick the teams.

Frankly I could see "kicking tee retrieval guy" getting the nod over about half the "pro bowl QBs" this year. With Brady, Manning, Rogers and Jen all out, here's the field:

Andy Dalton

Matt Ryan

Matthew Stafford

Drew Brees

Tony Romo

Andrew Luck

My bet is that Luck and Romo are the first two QBs picked and the rest fall into the category of "who gives a sht?"

All of that said, while Dalton definitely did not have a pro bowl season, the selection ought to serve as evidence that he didn't have a terrible season, either, and isn't the worst QB who ever lived or will live. I say "ought to" because it probably won't, but I can always hope.

Andy Dalton in the pro bowl after the season he had ??

I've got nothing. If that's not an indicator of what's gone wrong with the pro bowl, they'll never get it.

When do the captains pick their teams ??

I could see Dalton and the kicking tee retrieving guy left and it being a hard decision to make.

"Dalton or the guy that runs on the field to get the kicking tee ??? Hmmmmmmm."

The "pro bowl draft" is Wednesday night. Irvin and Carter pick the teams.

Frankly I could see "kicking tee retrieval guy" getting the nod over about half the "pro bowl QBs" this year. With Brady, Manning, Rogers and Jen all out, here's the field:

Andy Dalton

Matt Ryan

Matthew Stafford

Drew Brees

Tony Romo

Andrew Luck

My bet is that Luck and Romo are the first two QBs picked and the rest fall into the category of "who gives a sht?"

All of that said, while Dalton definitely did not have a pro bowl season, the selection ought to serve as evidence that he didn't have a terrible season, either, and isn't the worst QB who ever lived or will live. I say "ought to" because it probably won't, but I can always hope.

I'd take Brees over either Luck or Romo. He is a much smarter QB than either of those two.

Ran across a tweet from Brennen Warner just now listing the top 10 pro bowl vote-getters at QB:

1. Rogers

2. Brady

3. Luck

4. P. Manning

5. Romo

6. Roethlisberger

7. Brees

8. Stafford

9. Ryan

10. Dalton

Now, here's how the top 10 looked during voting in mid-November:

1. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos

2. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

3. Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts

4. Tom Brady, New England Patriots

5. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers

6. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

7. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

8. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

9. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks

10. Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions

And again on December 10, about two and a half weeks before the winners were announced:

1. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos

2. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

3. Tom Brady, New England Patriots

4. Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts

5. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

6. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

7. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers

8. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

9. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks

10. Brian Hoyer, Cleveland Browns

Of course, that represents the fan vote, which is one-third the final vote, the rest coming from players and coaches. Eight of the eventual top 10 appear on the fan lists. However, two "fan favorites" -- Wilson and Rivers -- are replaced in the end by Ryan and Dalton. That can only be due players and coaches voting.

I think that says something about Dalton. Fans may hate him but the guys who actually coach and play the game seems to feel differently.

No Dalton did not have the worst season ever, but seeing that list just shows how desperate they were becoming.

They asked Flacco, but he and his wife are expecting a baby any day.

That's amazing. Big Joe wasn't even showing a baby bump during his playoff game against New England. He carries is well.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for Dalton. I really am and I agree that the players and coaches obviously think he's a value at the QB spot.

Maybe it's that i'm use to seeing the "best of the best" in the probowl and this new way of doing things waters it down too much for my liking.

19 TD's, 17 INT's. While Dalton has some stats that put him in the conversation with some of the elite, those stats from this season don't.

I completely agree that Dalton hardly had a "pro bowl season." But this kind of thing happens every year; between injuries and the Super Bowl there's almost never a "best of the best" situation. But given that situation and the need to fill a spot, Dalton isn't a crazy reach, either.

If reports that Rivers turned down a chance to play due to injury and Flacco bowed out because he's in labor are true, then there weren't a lot of elite choices left. The guy you can make the strongest argument for getting screwed is Eli Manning. He actually didn't have a bad year -- for those who like QBR he finished 9th, versus Andy at 23 -- but the Giants finished 6-10 and it doesn't look like Giants fans did much in the way of voting to back their horse.

After that, you're looking at a pool with the likes of Dalton, Tannehill, Alex Smith, Fitzpatrick, Sanchez and Jay freakin' Cutler. And at least Dalton made it to the post-season. I do have to say that I really wish it would have been Cutler. If you think Bengals fans were laughing about Dalton going to the pro bowl, Chicago would have entirely collapsed in helpless howling hysteria. That would have been fun to watch.

Really, it all comes back to something hokie and I have been tossing around in the QB thread: there just aren't a whole lot of great QBs out there right now, and things appear to be trending in the direction of even fewer in 2-3 more years.

I still stick with what I said earlier - the pro bowl is a joke! But seeing the newest member of the pro bowl.... This could be a really good thing guys. If they put Dalton in the game and he gets other teams wide outs blown up like he did our guys this past season, we might have a chance next season against some of those teams...

So, based on the general disinterest expressed and dearth of commentary, I presume there weren't many on here who watched the game. Neither did I.

But I did just read a blurb about it. Unfortunately, it sounds like our own Red Rifle may have been shooting blanks (9/20 - 69 yds).

So whoever still argues he just needs more talent around him to excel ... may have just been proven wrong.

Okay, well, that was quick. Just January 26 and I have my first nominee for dumbest post of the year.

Now I just need someone to argue that AJ Green would suck with any other QB but Dalton because he caught 0 balls for 0 yards last night...

Hey, did you see Adam Vinateri missed 3 of 4 kicks? Colts should cut his ass right now...

Okay, well, that was quick. Just January 26 and I have my first nominee for dumbest post of the year.

Now I just need someone to argue that AJ Green would suck with any other QB but Dalton because he caught 0 balls for 0 yards last night...

Hey, did you see Adam Vinateri missed 3 of 4 kicks? Colts should cut his ass right now...

Well I feel just awful now.

But seriously, like I said I didn't watch the game. Did you?

I watched thew whole game with my sons. For whatever reason, they thought is was cool and who was I to spoil their fun.

It was very much "Bad Andy" who showed up last night. All the things we've seen that make up "Bad Andy" were there but an INT. Of course, there is no doubt that a myriad of reasons why a QB has a bad game under circumstances like a Pro Bowl. But it was vintage "Bad Andy" on display: Sailing passes, locking on one target, really bad touch and accuracy and an overall look of panic and confusion. He looked so out of place, almost like he was on standby for the game and had to dress and come in with zero preparations, it was that level of suck.

As for a point about Green not having any catches, it was interesting when they'd show some replays as to how wide open Green was. For example, on the Nelson TD, Green was on the same side, outside of him, running a corner to Nelsons inside post. Green fully smoked the CB, Haden, and if thrown his way would have been the same TD result.

At any rate, the looks on the faces of his defensive teammates told the whole story. With every botched throw on the drive, they'd show Watt, or one of the other guys, with their jaws hanging and eyes wide looking more stunned with each dreadful throw or decision. To the point that I started to feel kind of bad for Andy.

He looked so out of place, almost like he was on standby for the game and had to dress and come in with zero preparations,

Which was...pretty...much...the...case. :frustrated:

Dalton looked fine to me. But if you want to break down someone's performance in the pro bowl, be my guest. I could use a laugh today.

He looked so out of place, almost like he was on standby for the game and had to dress and come in with zero preparations,

Which was...pretty...much...the...case. :frustrated:/>

Dalton looked fine to me. But if you want to break down someone's performance in the pro bowl, be my guest. I could use a laugh today.

No, not really. they only got assigned to their teams on Wednesday. It's not like all the other QBs had some extra volume of prep time to install offense and reps but Andy missed out. Now, true, he could have spent his last several weeks on the couch or on vacation and his physical shape could be less than desired but what I saw was essentially the same old Bad Andy everyone has seen over the past 4 years. I feel bad for him because he's not as bad as he showed, it's just that anyone who watched or has read about it has an impression that Andy is simply a not very good quarterback.

That game was akin to a game of pick-up on the street - tackle flag football, so spare me the "preparation" excuses (isn't there always one when little Andy goes bad?)

The guy was so bad he got BOO'D by the Pro Bowl crowd!!

I really don't know what more needs to be said, other than he still sucks. It's too bad we'll have to put up with him (and Marvin) for at least another season.

Andy Dalton got booed off the Pro Bowl field

That game was akin to a game of pick-up on the street - tackle flag football, so spare me the "preparation" excuses (isn't there always one when little Andy goes bad?)

The guy was so bad he got BOO'D by the Pro Bowl crowd!!

I really don't know what more needs to be said, other than he still sucks. It's too bad we'll have to put up with him (and Marvin) for at least another season.

Andy Dalton got booed off the Pro Bowl field

You mean you actually 'watched' the game?

You know Andy will be back for 2015. Are you still going to root against him, in order to be 'right', disguising it as 'being real'?

I'm going out on a limb to say that EVEN if the Bengals were to win the SB, I'm guessing you would say they won in 'spite' of Dalton, rather than to reluctantly admit that a team can win a SB without a top 10 QB! (For the sake of redundancy, I won't repeat the list of QBs that have already done this)

I don't think anyone is rooting for him to be crappy in order to "win" an argument.

I personally think Dalton is a limited QB that can still get us there with the rest of the team staying healthy.

While i'm hopeful (as I am every year) that we win a Super Bowl, I don't expect that to happen in 2015.

If things don't go well I could see 2015 as the last years for both Dalton and Marvin.

With that line of thought, I still can't say as I would be expecting the next regime to have better results.

New coach, new QB, new coordinators (more than likely) and so on and so on, equals rebuilding and few expectations.

Close one window and wait for the next to open I suppose.

Oh yeah, the Steelers won a Super Bowl in spite of Big Ben. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals winning one in spite of Dalton.