Gio Having a Sophomore Slump?

gregcook68

I think the Bengals have encountered a particularly difficult problem with the running back duo. They seem to be employing a strategy which sees the same offensive game plan in motion regardless of which back is on the field, and it's understandable why they would. Both backs have good hands and can break long plays. More importantly, they can't make their intentions obvious to defenses based on which back is out there. We might spend weeks begging them to get Gio the ball in space, but if they make that concerted effort too aggressively then Gio's function on the field will become plainly obvious and defenses will be prepared. So they send him in between the tackles with just the same sort of blocking schemes that Hill exploits for bigger inside runs. It doesn't work consistently because Gio simply isn't very good at it.

I think the best solution, if there is any good solution, is to spread the offense out more often with BOTH running backs. So far Hue seems to be playing both backs to Hill's strengths to maintain a degree of unpredictability. They might be better served to play both backs more to Gio's strengths instead though. I suspect Hill would be better able to make plays in space typically designed for Gio than Gio is to churn tough yardage inside. Even then though you still have to give Gio some inside carries. It really comes down to him just playing better if he can.

I'm sure the injuries have impacted his performance/confidence, and in the time he was out Hill emerged as a decent smashmouth RB.

Gio is much better suited to running around the edge and Hill up the middle but you can't go that obviously else the defences will know what to expect. Gio could well be a very capable short yardage dump-off receiver and then let him run in the open field ...a sort of short-ass TE as it were.

I'm sure the injuries have impacted his performance/confidence, and in the time he was out Hill emerged as a decent smashmouth RB.

Gio is much better suited to running around the edge and Hill up the middle but you can't go that obviously else the defences will know what to expect. Gio could well be a very capable short yardage dump-off receiver and then let him run in the open field ...a sort of short-ass TE as it were.

The good thing about Hill and Bernard is that they are both multi-dimensional threats. Gio can go into "two-hand touch" mode and avoid contact, he can catch, and we've also seen him "get skinny" and squeeze through the middle of the line really well. Hill is excellent at following blocks and can keep his legs churning to move a pile, but he can also catch and is shifty/speedy enough to make guys miss.

I applaud Hue for trying to avoid pigeon-holing either of these talented football players -- but at the same time something isn't working currently. I can't put my finger on it, but I wonder if the blocking schemes that they use when Hill is successful are different than those used when Gio is successful. Anyone with knowledge of such things care to comment on that?

Anyways, that all might be moot. Word is, Hill will be the "official" bellcow. I hope they can recapture that magic they had going back when Gio was injured, whatever it was.