Reds Offseason Thread

ArmyBengal

The Los Angeles Dodgers acquired outfielder Chris Heisey from the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for right-hander Matt Magill on Tuesday.

Magill, 25, has an 0-2 record with a 6.51 ERA in six starts at the major league level, all in 2013. He posted a 7-6 mark with a 5.21 ERA in 12 starts (36 appearances) for Triple-A Albuquerque this past season.

Also Tuesday, the Reds declined to offer contracts to right-handers Logan Ondrusek and Curtis Partch, making them free agents.

I always liked Heisey and don't know much about Magill, but i'm glad Ondrusek and Partch are gone.

They still need to find a left field bat.

/>http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/11970337/los-angeles-dodgers-acquire-chris-heisey-trade-cincinnati-reds

Oh, I love baseball and especially the Reds. They can irritate me pretty well at times, but I sure do love baseball season.

Taking the family down for a game is always a great time and doesn't usually cost an arm and a leg.

I also don't get my blood pressure up watching a game or seeing them do poorly.

Should there be better working of salary cap concerns and things of that nature ??

Probably, but baseball is more mellow for me and I don't get worked up like I do about football.

Friday night game, head down to the banks, kids play in the park, catch the game, fireworks afterwards, and money well spent !!!

Oh, I love baseball and especially the Reds. They can irritate me pretty well at times, but I sure do love baseball season.

Taking the family down for a game is always a great time and doesn't usually cost an arm and a leg.

I also don't get my blood pressure up watching a game or seeing them do poorly.

Should there be better working of salary cap concerns and things of that nature ??

Probably, but baseball is more mellow for me and I don't get worked up like I do about football.

Friday night game, head down to the banks, kids play in the park, catch the game, fireworks afterwards, and money well spent !!!

Sometime this next season we need our families to hook up and take in a game. I've never taken my 8 year old, he has finally settled down enough to take him to a game though. My 12 year old wants to go again, and my wife and I love taking in a game, just don't get down that way very often.

As I explain to the foreigners I work with here in Japan, (Englanders, etc.). Baseball is good to watch but it is especially fun for those who used to play it. Japanese are into it of course but Europeans can't quite get into it. Though, lots of Europeans are becoming NFL fans

I only played for a handful of years when I was young.

I enjoyed it, but there's this thing with baseball. If you can't hit the ball, you might want to reconsider the sport you play.

As it turned out, I could kick the sh*t out of the ball and run like the wind when I was young. I love soccer as well !!!

I love baseball and I'm in PA so im a Phillies fan. It was great for awhile, but now that they suck it's hard to watch them sometimes lol. They seem to do nothing at all this offseason, they love to keep older pitchers around just for the fun of it, the GM blows and I want to see him go! Ok sorry that's my Phillies bash for the night lol.

I'm going to change the thread title to Reds offseason thread or something.

Anyway, the Reds traded away both Simon and Latos.

They got some in return, but are still left with wondering who is the starting left fielder.

I would have expected them to be able to address that when trading away two starting pitchers, but there are other reasons in play.

Both Simon and Latos will be free agents after this season. Simon doesn't concern me and there was still concern with Latos' injuries.

The moves freed up a ton of cash, but they say they still don't know if they will be able to get Cueto done.

I won't be happy if they don't get Cueto signed long term.

Bailey better have a more consistent 2015 as well.

I'm going to change the thread title to Reds offseason thread or something.

Anyway, the Reds traded away both Simon and Latos.

They got some in return, but are still left with wondering who is the starting left fielder.

I would have expected them to be able to address that when trading away two starting pitchers, but there are other reasons in play.

Both Simon and Latos will be free agents after this season. Simon doesn't concern me and there was still concern with Latos' injuries.

The moves freed up a ton of cash, but they say they still don't know if they will be able to get Cueto done.

I won't be happy if they don't get Cueto signed long term.

Bailey better have a more consistent 2015 as well.

Sounds like a window closing to me.

• 3 weeks later...

So the Reds traded Ben Lively, a 22 year old starting pitcher and their minor league player of the year, to the Phillies for Marlon Byrd.

Byrd will obviously fall into the starting LF role and bring a bat along with him.

I'm kind of in the middle on this one.

On one hand, we now have a starting LF that can certainly generate some power from the position. On the other hand, he's 37, strikes out alot, and is here on the short term. I hear alot of talk about trading potential for immediate impact, but i've always been partial to holding onto strong armed prospects that have been having success. Lively went 13-7 with a 3.04 ERA in both single and double A ball last year.

Anyway, we have a left fielder for 2015 so there we go.

I was just hoping to feel better about it than I do.

That seems short sighted to me. They already lost Latos, so a SP job is up for grabs. Im tired of old guys that might have a year or two left being the answer.

They're still holding out hope that Votto/Phillips/Bruce put it all together and have a magical season.

The odds seem stacked against it, but that's their only real shot at "winning now".

That seems short sighted to me. They already lost Latos, so a SP job is up for grabs. Im tired of old guys that might have a year or two left being the answer.

They're still holding out hope that Votto/Phillips/Bruce put it all together and have a magical season.

The odds seem stacked against it, but that's their only real shot at "winning now".

That seems highly unlikely, but I hope that is what happens.

Lively wasn't going to be competing for a starters spot in the rotation this year anyway and maybe not for 2-3 more.

That being said, I still don't like getting rid of young arms that are having success for what amounts to a patch.

If Lively ends up being a solid part of the Phillies rotation in 2-3 seasons, the Reds will regret this trade.

Couple that with the fact that they need everything else to line up in order to get back to the playoffs and it's why I find myself guessing about this one. Bruce still strikes out a ton and is inconsistent as always. Votto is a question mark at best we keep hoping gets back to MVP form. Phillips is a player the team wishes they could have dumped last year and relations are probably still rough.

I do agree that Byrd helps in the thought of "winning now", but I don't think it's enough.

Always hopeful though !!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Reds agreed to terms with Frazier on a two year deal, so that takes care of that for a couple more seasons.

Chapman looks to be headed to arbitration.

The Reds also signed a couple of relievers, but I can't say what to expect with Burke Badenhop (Red Sox) and Kevin Gregg (Marlins).

Anyway, not much going on while getting close to the start of spring training.

Always talk about what they will do with Cueto by seasons end and the health of players like Votto, Bruce, and Phillips.