Clint Boling at RT

HoosierCat

Anyone who got to see the game have an opinion? He got 17 snaps at RT, with Pollack in at guard, in what Dehner says was an "experiment" so coaches could see how it looked. He did play both tackle spots in college, though the expert opinion was that he lacked the strength to play the position at the next level.

I went looking through Lance's vines of the game but only saw one that clearly has Boling lined up at tackle. It's a running play to the left though so it really doesn't say much.

/>https://vine.co/v/On3bdlaltve

According to CJ Boling lined up at RT from 2:45 in the first to 0:46 in the second. They only had one offensive snap, an incomplete pass, at 2:35 in the first, and the :46 mark in the second is Dalton's INT before the half. So basically he played the two second quarter drives:

Drive 1: 9 plays, 58 yards, Andy picked in end zone.

Drive 2: 8 plays, 64 yards, Andy runs in for a TD.

Dalton was not sacked on either drive. On the first drive it was all passes or left/middle runs. The second drive had one 5-yard Hill run over RT (at 4:12 remaining in the second).

Here's a couple more from Josh. First the Sanu trick play. Andy stays clean but the right side seems to cave in. Might be the design though.

/>https://vine.co/v/OnP2E5POlBF

And here's the pick in the end zone. The right side is a rock, though Pollack abandons his block for no reason and lets his guy right in Andy's face as he throws the ball.

/>https://vine.co/v/OnPUtj5xU5K

Hobs:

You know the Bengals are still trying to find a right tackle to replace the injured Andre Smith because offensive coordinator Hue Jackson is calling Marshall Newhouse and left guard Clint Boling “candidates.”

In Sunday’s 14-13 victory over the Buccaneers, Newhouse started and played all but 19 of the snaps. Those 19 were filled by Boling in the second quarter when he moved over and Mike Pollak took his spot at right guard.

Since Jackson praised only left tackle Andrew Whitworth and right guard Kevin Zeitler for their work up front, it can be surmised right tackle is still a work in progress.

“We feel like we have two candidates there that you feel good about that can go into a game and actually play. Where we go from there we’ll make that decision as we go,” Jackson said Monday. “I’m trying to find the five best guys that can play at a high level. If it means Boling being over there, great. If it means Marshall Newhouse is the answer, great. Whoever they are we have to put them out there and play.”

Apparently Tanner Hawkinson, the club’s fifth-round pick in 2013, isn’t the answer right now and Jackson indicated it’s because he doesn’t have the game experience. Boling has now played 20 snaps at NFL right tackle, but he also started nine games there at Georgia.

“I thought Andrew Whitworth played his butt off. I thought he played extremely hard,” Jackson said. “I thought Kevin Zeitler did some good things. I thought the rest of the group, it can get better. We can play better.”

Boling played right tackle on the Bengals’ first touchdown drive and Newhouse was in on the second.

Hawkinson will never get game experience if you dont play him, and he doesnt play because he doesnt have game experience

Then again, if I am a NFL QB, I don't want a guy who I can out-lift protecting me

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Maybe the Bengals plan is to wait until someone gets injured or leaves via FA before they play their other talent.

If you have fresh players who are talented enough to be on the 52 man roster, don't you at least want to see what they have?

We got us a new RT. florio:

@ProFootballTalk: PFT confirms the Bengals have signed NFLPA president Eric Winston to a one-year deal.

Winston:

Eric Winston @ericwinston · 17m 17 minutes ago

Who dey! who dey! who dey think goin to beat them Bengals!?!?!

Given how Paul Brown felt about the player's union there's some rich irony in this signing. How times have changed...

Also given how Winston called out Marvin's lame-o comment about concussions "taking longer to heal from".

Given how Paul Brown felt about the player's union there's some rich irony in this signing. How times have changed...

Also given how Winston called out Marvin's lame-o comment about concussions "taking longer to heal from".

Winston: my comments about Marvin's comments not actually about Marvin's comments but about someone else's comments that sounded exactly the same but were said by someone else but I don't know who. Maybe Martians.

/>http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11973654/eric-winston-cincinnati-bengals-says-concussion-rant-not-marvin-lewis?ex_cid=espnapi_public

I don't really care all that much what he said or if it was pointed directly or indirectly at Marvin.

I care if he's going to be able to man the RT spot sooner rather than later.

They don't expect him to be active Sunday, but hopefully that extra week a getting prepared mentally and physically will see him going in Cleveland.