Bengals @ Buccaneers Game Thread

HoosierCat

It's definitely a winnable game...but it has loss written all over it.

It's game three of a three-game road stretch, and comes after an emotional victory against Houston. Both physically and mentally I think energy levels will be low. And the Steelers are looming the following week.

On the other side of the ball you have a Bucs squad who nearly pulled off a win in Chicago, and which despite being 2-9 is still in the hunt. Now they're home with an improving defense and a couple guys in AC and MJ who will definitely be up for the game.

It's just a tough spot. The Bucs are bad enough that it could still go the Bengals' way, but in any event I'm not expecting a pretty game.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go completely off the homer deep end, criticize and laugh if you wish................BUT...

if they win Sunday, and do it as convincingly as they have the last 2 games, meaning that they control the game from start to finish, regardless of the score, AND, Burfict back 100%, with no further key injuries,,,,,,, they will WIN OUT!

Pittsburgh at home, after the last home embarrassment and with momentum, a win.

Cleveland away, revenge, a win.

Denver at home, primetime. Denver is beatable. The Bengals have a winning 'home' primetime franchise record, Marvin himself is 12-11 at home. They just lost the last home primetime game, time to turn the primetime curse around, and do it in style...another win!

Pittsburgh away..........just to put the exclamation mark on, what has clearly been a rollercoaster NFL season, for sure, another win!!

It's a must win. I know it isn't literally, but, it is. And we all know it.

They must win it.

I feel that way for the next three weeks.

When/if they beat the Bucs, get a game up on the Steelers, and even the score with the Browns, then I might take a breath for the season.

I feel those three games are ALL "must wins".

I suppose they and the rest of the AFCN teams could all lose and make it a mute point, but I don't expect that to be the case.

I think they take care of the Bucs.

I'm actually feeling like they are the underdogs and have nothing to lose from then on out.

Lose to the Browns? Already did. Still in first. Get it done in Cleveland.

Lose to the Steelers? Maybe. Last season they got it done at home. Steelers have weaknesses for sure.

Broncos in prime time? The experts have already penciled it in as a loss. Let it all hang out and see what happens.

Last season, at this point, it felt more nerve wracking as if they were barely hanging on. This season at the 12 game mark, it just seems they are playing with more identity and a "we're going to take what we want" approach.

Beating Tampa Bay would certainly make the path to the playoffs easier.

But when has this team ever made it easy on themselves? They specialize in self-inflicted wounds. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. And now, with hopes rekindling thanks to two straight road wins, the fan base (Charlie Brown) is teed up by the Bengals (Lucy) one more time.

/>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z30VTXwvOc

(alternate, more Bengals-appropriate, ending version)

a win over the heavily favored Broncos in Prime Time would be HUGE towards getting over two different humps - of less importance (imho) the ability to beat good teams, and FAR greater importance, the ability to win under the bright lights

a win in this game would be one of the biggest in the regular season for the bengals in recent history

all that said - I am expecting them to roll over and die as usual

Some roster shuffling in Tampa today.

With injuries to all three tight ends in Sunday's loss at Chicago, the Bucs have made a flurry of moves at the position, promoting rookie Cameron Brate from the practice squad, signing former Packers and Patriots tight end D.J. Williams and adding Evan Rodriguez and Taylor Sloat to the practice squad.

Rookie Austin Seferian-Jenkins said his back, which tightened up Sunday, limiting him to 20 snaps, is already improving, and Brandon Myers said the calf injury that limited him to 17 plays is feeling better as well. Myers was no longer wearing a walking boot Tuesday in the locker room.

To meet the newcomers: Brate is a Harvard grad who has been on the practice squad since final preseason cuts, while Williams was with Bucs director of player personnel Jon Robinson in New England, and among the Patriots' final cuts this preseason. Sloat, a rookie from UC-Davis, is in his second stint on the practice squad, and Rodriguez played fullback and tight end for Lovie Smith with the Bears in 2012, though he's wearing No. 86 and is listed as a tight end.

To make room for the new additions, the Bucs put fullback Jorvorskie Lane on injured reserve, released returner Marcus Thigpen, and also cut tight end Ted Bolser and cornerback Quinton Pointer from the practice squad.

/>http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/amid-injuries-bucs-add-tight-ends-brate-williams/2207863

The one thing with this team that worries me is they only have 16 sacks! There is Dunlap and then nobody, with these games coming up they better find a pass rush. Peyton, and Ben will kill this secondary without some pressure or sacks. So far they have been ok without it, but I worry about the up coming games, so hopefully they find something. Man I miss that year where they had over 40 some sacks that was awesome.

The one thing with this team that worries me is they only have 16 sacks! There is Dunlap and then nobody, with these games coming up they better find a pass rush. Peyton, and Ben will kill this secondary without some pressure or sacks. So far they have been ok without it, but I worry about the up coming games, so hopefully they find something. Man I miss that year where they had over 40 some sacks that was awesome.

Geno has been a big part of that sack problem. He depends on his leg strength big time, and because his injury was in his leg he couldn't work his legs while healing. From what I understand, next year, provided no further injuries, he should be back to form.

Geno has been a big part of that sack problem. He depends on his leg strength big time, and because his injury was in his leg he couldn't work his legs while healing. From what I understand, next year, provided no further injuries, he should be back to form.

Geno has improved as the year has gone on, hopefully when they need him the most he can come through. Like I said I'm just hoping the pass rush picks up, and maybe Clarke can some how help out as well.

I think it was noted somewhere along the line that teams have been wary of the Bengals pass rush and have been getting the ball out quicker.

Sort of like of we dealt with JJ Watt and the Texans defense. Dalton had the fastest release of all QB's last week.

I'd be interested in seeing those release times for QB's against the Bengals through the season.

Not so much that i'd be willing to attempt to research and find those stats, mind you, but interested nonetheless.

That's part of it but it's mostly Geno not being 100% and MJ leaving. As a result the front four can't get the push they did the last couple years. Gunther was going to counter with more blitzing but all the injuries at linebacker severely limited him there.

Geno is what he's going to be. I think he has improved as the season has progressed, but simply think it's going to take until 2015 when we see the Geno of 2013. I've heard many times where players take some time mentally to trust that the surgery went well and they won't injure themselves going to hard.