Taking a Look at Rules and Penalties

gregcook68

There are 4 rules that I find contradictory and I wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Before that, I was telling my son about an old NFL rule and wanted to see if there were any old timers in here that remember it. Not sure when they changed this rule but it's been a long time.

The rule was that if there was a forward pass and it was tipped by an offensive player, a second offensive player couldn't catch it, UNLESS a defensive player made contact in between the 2 offensive players, otherwise it was ruled an incomplete pass.

On to the contradictory rules.

If a runner gets to the goal with control of the football and sticks the ball over the goal line, it is a TD, even if someone slaps the ball out of his hand after the plane is broken.

However, if a receiver catches a ball in the end zone, not only does he have to have both feet in bounds (which I agree with), the contradictory part is the fact that he has to have control of the ball, EVEN AFTER he goes to the ground. This just seems contradictory to the 'breaking the plane' rule.

Secondly, they have the defenseless receiver rule, yet a defender can hammer a receiver as long as he doesn't get there before the ball.

Totally contradictory to me.

Anyone?

There are 4 rules that I find contradictory and I wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Before that, I was telling my son about an old NFL rule and wanted to see if there were any old timers in here that remember it. Not sure when they changed this rule but it's been a long time.

The rule was that if there was a forward pass and it was tipped by an offensive player, a second offensive player couldn't catch it, UNLESS a defensive player made contact in between the 2 offensive players, otherwise it was ruled an incomplete pass.

On to the contradictory rules.

If a runner gets to the goal with control of the football and sticks the ball over the goal line, it is a TD, even if someone slaps the ball out of his hand after the plane is broken.

However, if a receiver catches a ball in the end zone, not only does he have to have both feet in bounds (which I agree with), the contradictory part is the fact that he has to have control of the ball, EVEN AFTER he goes to the ground. This just seems contradictory to the 'breaking the plane' rule.

Secondly, they have the defenseless receiver rule, yet a defender can hammer a receiver as long as he doesn't get there before the ball.

Totally contradictory to me.

Anyone?

I despise that rule as well. Waving the ball over the imaginary line hanging above the ground is a touchdown?

The word touchdown comes from the fact that the ball ACTUALLY had to be TOUCHED DOWN in the end zone for it to count.

I'd at least rather see the players feet go in the endzone or the ball make contact with ground or pylon for it to count as a score.