Bengals @ Texans Game Thread

Stripes

I feel increasingly bad about the game as the week goes on. The matchup of JJ Watt against either a gimpy Moobs or Outhouse is a recipe for disaster. My gut says this is a low-scoring affair and I'm afraid it turns on a big defensive play by Houston. But we'll see.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel increasingly bad about the game as the week goes on. The matchup of JJ Watt against either a gimpy Moobs or Outhouse is a recipe for disaster. My gut says this is a low-scoring affair and I'm afraid it turns on a big defensive play by Houston. But we'll see.

I truly believe that this game can play a part in carrying them into Tampa and then again back home with the Steelers. IF that can happen, then who's to say that they can't carry it to Cleveland as well.

As far as Denver, even though it's primetime, it's still at home. Lewis is 12-11 at home, and the Broncos are very beatable especially if they can have everyone back and no further injuries.

First things first, they need to put together three in a row of solid play, before we can consider any kind of a December run.

Got to get the inside running game and quick tosses to the flat going to slow down the outside JJWatt/Clowney pash rush

Good point and in addition to that, this is an area we have missed Eifert big time, and Gresham just isn't athletic enough to be trusted.

How many teams have you seen using the TEs over the middle and for big gains.

During camp that was the weapon and play Dalton was using the most!

It really takes a very strong weapon away from them.

If you read bengals.com Hobson says about how they are doing intense practices again like last week? I'm thinking to myself, where were these so called practices all year? I don't get that at all, but hey whatever it takes I guess.

Good point and not sure anyone could answer that.

On a sidebar volcom, looks like the Eagles were one of the last teams in the NFL to receive a thumping.

I think just about every team has had at least one!

I told my wife and son, they got a thumping from GB at Lameau, a team and place that you would expect it, so now they got it out of the way.

Have concerns with JJ Watt and Clowney ?? Bring in the Jumbo package !!!

Seriously, another guy dedicated to blocking and it aids in establishing a pretty solid run game as of late ?? Yeah, i'm in.

I just want to see Dalton have enough time to get the ball out and Smith / Outhouse (love it) concern me for sure.

Have concerns with JJ Watt and Clowney ?? Bring in the Jumbo package !!!

Seriously, another guy dedicated to blocking and it aids in establishing a pretty solid run game as of late ?? Yeah, i'm in.

I just want to see Dalton have enough time to get the ball out and Smith / Outhouse (love it) concern me for sure.

Okay, I'll bite. Not up to date with all the nicknames, what is the Jumbo Package?

Smith better be ready because Newhouse will get dominated by Watt (and Dalton will turn into a pumpkin again).

In fact, regardless, I hope they come up with a better plan this time around with the Texans than they have in the two playoff games against them (obviously).

Hue better pull out his bag-o-tricks!

Got to get the inside running game and quick tosses to the flat going to slow down the outside JJWatt/Clowney pash rush

I hope Gio will be back as his short receptions on the outside of the pocket could be a very useful tool to have on Sunday

I hope Gio will be back as his short receptions on the outside of the pocket could be a very useful tool to have on Sunday

I don't want Gio back, because if he does get back in that means less work for Hill and right now Hill is playing at a far higher level. As one example look at FO's RB rankings:

/>http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Hill ranks 13th, Bernard 25th. But the real eye-popper to me is success rate. This measure rates rushes on whether they hit certain yardage benchmarks, generally 40% of needed yardage on first down runs, 60% on second down runs and 100% on third down runs. Hill has the third-highest success rate in the league, trailing only Lamar Miller and Jamaal Charles. Bernard is 32nd out of 36 ranked backs.

Success rate converts to a stat FO calls "Running Back Batting Average," a riff on baseball batting averages. Here are the RBBAs:

Hill: .370

Bernard: .190

As far as the passing game is concerned, Hill is beating Gio there as well if you scroll down to their passing tables. If Hill had three more catches he'd move upto the main table and rank 13th, versus Gio who is at 22. Gio has 179 yards on 34 catches, while Hill has 154 yards on 19 grabs.

I know Bernard is a fan favorite but right now I am content to see him sit.

I don't want Gio back, because if he does get back in that means less work for Hill and right now Hill is playing at a far higher level. As one example look at FO's RB rankings:

Hill ranks 13th, Bernard 25th. But the real eye-popper to me is success rate. This measure rates rushes on whether they hit certain yardage benchmarks, generally 40% of needed yardage on first down runs, 60% on second down runs and 100% on third down runs. Hill has the third-highest success rate in the league, trailing only Lamar Miller and Jamaal Charles. Bernard is 32nd out of 36 ranked backs.

Success rate converts to a stat FO calls "Running Back Batting Average," a riff on baseball batting averages. Here are the RBBAs:

As far as the passing game is concerned, Hill is beating Gio there as well if you scroll down to their passing tables. If Hill had three more catches he'd move upto the main table and rank 13th, versus Gio who is at 22. Gio has 179 yards on 34 catches, while Hill has 154 yards on 19 grabs.

If a coach, any sport, truly wants to win, they have to play the best team, salaries and egos a side.

Now that Hill has made his statement, and with Marvin Jones out, I think the best approach the rest of the season would be to use Sanu as the other WR and Gio in the slot.

If a coach, any sport, truly wants to win, they have to play the best team, salaries and egos a side.

Now that Hill has made his statement, and with Marvin Jones out, I think the best approach the rest of the season would be to use Sanu as the other WR and Gio in the slot.

Yes, just pull out some of Hawkins plays from a couple of years ago. Sprinkle in some RB screens and a few outside runs for Gio and that works for me.

Via Harvey, today's practice report:

#Bengals injury report: DNP: Vontaze Burfict, Wallace Gilberry (back), Margus Hunt, Terence Newman. LIMITED: Gio Bernard, Cedric Peerman...Kevin Zeitler also limited (calf). FULL: OT Andre Smith. Looks like the right tackle will be back this weekend. Big lift for #Bengals

Spending time in Cleveland until Friday for work reasons, (is there another reason to be here) and I keep getting asked how I liked that Thursday night game. I respond with, how do you like still being in last place ?? It gets quiet real quick. Silly Browns fans.

In regards to the Texans game, it's going to be almost 80 degrees on Sunday.

HELL YEAH AND F*CK YOU WINTER !!! Can't wait.

Spending time in Cleveland until Friday for work reasons, (is there another reason to be here) and I keep getting asked how I liked that Thursday night game. I respond with, how do you like still being in last place ?? It gets quiet real quick. Silly Browns fans.

In regards to the Texans game, it's going to be almost 80 degrees on Sunday.

HELL YEAH AND F*CK YOU WINTER !!! Can't wait.

Have fun! Make sure you talk to them again after the game in Cleveland on the 14th. Maybe we can knock them out of playoff contention again like 2007.