Whitworth Speaks Up

gregcook68

I copied and pasted this for anyone that might be interested:

“I don't think it's behind us, to be honest with you. You can't play like that in a big game and put it behind,” Whitworth said. “It's not one of those games to be put behind. You've got to fix what you need to fix and keep it as a reminder of so far, this is what you've shown and you deserve everything you get. You also get an opportunity to go earn what you want. So we deserve all the junk that we're going to hear, but we also still have the opportunity to go get what we want. That's got to be our focus.”

Whitworth and wife Melissa usually spend time with some of his teammates during the week, so it was nothing out of the ordinary that the family got together with quarterback Andy Dalton and wife Jordan this past off weekend.

What was out of the ordinary is that Dalton was coming off the worst game of his career with a 2.0 passer rating.

“He's a competitor. He's ready to get back at it and prove who he is,” Whitworth said. “We all have bad nights and all of us share losses. It's not just him. He's always going to take blame because he's the signal-caller. He's got the ball in his hands, but at the end of the day, all of us share in it. He just wants our team to win. That's what he wants more importantly. He believes in this team. That's what's important. And that's what's going to help us be successful.”

Whitworth and Dalton are the offensive captains, but since Whitworth has been here nine seasons he’s part coach, part brother, part psychologist for a lot of the young guys. Football, it seems, was barely discussed.

“When they get a chance to get away from here, get away. And have a chance to come back to reality. A lot of times for those guys it can be too much if they allow it to be,” Whitworth said. “That's the biggest thing for me is that I want guys to understand, if you gave everything you had and played the best you could play and it was just the other guy's day that you were facing, then that's just life. There's not anybody in any other profession that's not experienced that every week. You just play a profession where everyone gets an opportunity to critique you. If we went and followed around a lot of welders all day, you'd probably be able to hammer a lot of welders that hammer things the wrong way.”

I'm confident the Bengals will come out and play a hard fought game this week. Heck, they might even win.

However, why does this team need to consistently find motivation to play after getting embarrassed. What I am doubtful of is their ability to consistently play with motivation and fire.

Would it surprise anyone to see them beat New Orleans and then lose big to Houston?

I'm confident the Bengals will come out and play a hard fought game this week. Heck, they might even win.

However, why does this team need to consistently find motivation to play after getting embarrassed. What I am doubtful of is their ability to consistently play with motivation and fire.

Would it surprise anyone to see them beat New Orleans and then lose big to Houston?

I just wish they could go to New Orleans with some more punch.

I know one guy doesn't make a team, but when Burfict is 100%, everyone else feeds off of him, even the offense!

I just wish they could go to New Orleans with some more punch.

I know one guy doesn't make a team, but when Burfict is 100%, everyone else feeds off of him, even the offense!

Regardless of what the Bengals do this season, I will be looking forward to the rematch with Cleveland and the games against Pittsburgh. Add the Monday night game against Denver. Very curious indeed.

I think AJ Green is the real leader of this team. He is our only all-pro. Adam jones as a returner is next in my opinion. Burfict coming in as the third. Those are the players other players respect the most. Whit is not be of the smarter guys so he has that but I have never even consider him pro bowl level much less all-pro.

Anyone know how the saints pass rush is? One thing I had expected from Andy when he came out of TCU was a greater ability to run with the ball. He piled up pretty good yardage in college. It hasn't translated to the pro game at all. He doesn't even escape pressure in the pocket!

Anyone know how the saints pass rush is? One thing I had expected from Andy when he came out of TCU was a greater ability to run with the ball. He piled up pretty good yardage in college. It hasn't translated to the pro game at all. He doesn't even escape pressure in the pocket!

That's what always bothered me, I remember watching him in college running, moving in the pocket, making throws on the run. Makes me wonder what ever happened to that, now he is like a statue back there. I always wished he would step up, or run out of the pocket and allow his WR to get open for him.

I remember watching him in college running, moving in the pocket, making throws on the run. Makes me wonder what ever happened to that.

Ken Zampese

I remember watching him in college running, moving in the pocket, making throws on the run. Makes me wonder what ever happened to that.

Ken Zampese

This may be a little closer to part of the problem.

After watching the last 2 Eagles games, and listening to Gruden last night, it appears that being in the right environment can mean a lot as we are seeing, SO FAR, with Mark Sanchez.

Sanchez looks to be tailor made for the offense at Philadelphia, and look how that has fed into the defense.

We know from Andy's college days and from some of the numbers he has put in his first 3 years here, that the ability is there.

I would be curious to know what kind of offense they ran at TCU?

Did they have a balanced running game?

How was the offensive line?

How was the defense at TCU?

All I know is that as Thursday has receded I've gotten more and more of an ugly vibe off this team...a vibe I haven't felt since the Lost Decade.

It feels like the team is mailing it in. They've checked out, given up, thrown in the towel. The objective now is to get through the last seven games without a bad injury and then get the heck out of Dodge.

No one is talking, except Whit, who's sort of the designated media rep. The QB is trying to find himself outside the facility or whatever. The injury report is clogged up and no one seems to be working real hard to get off it. The head coach admits to being confounded. The OC gives his QB a dreaded vote of confidence. Both backups and starters have played poorly (with a few exceptions like Sanu and Dunlap) all year. It certainly wouldn't be a surprise if they've lost faith and confidence.

I hope I'm just over-reacting. After all, it's what I do. :)

So glad to see the "team leaders" are chillin' during the week at each other's homes eating dinner after a horrible game, instead of watching film, getting to bed early, working out, or preparing for Sunday.

I guarantee you guys like Brady and Manning aren't doing that.

Welcome the Bengals' Country Club of mediocrity and low expectations.

So glad to see the "team leaders" are chillin' during the week at each other's homes eating dinner after a horrible game, instead of watching film, getting to bed early, working out, or preparing for Sunday.

I guarantee you guys like Brady and Manning aren't doing that.

Welcome the Bengals' Country Club of mediocrity and low expectations.

Football is their job. Yes, believe it or not they do have a life outside of their job, just like most everyone else does.

They just happen to be making millions at this job because fans continue to support them financially, something I made a decision NOT to do after the strike in the 80s.

I imagine they are ALSO doing all the other things you mentioned as well.

I want to say that i'm getting sick of Whitworth, but if it wasn't for him, you wouldn't hear much.

I thought it was funny that Hill said the Browns were worse than he thought they were.

Had me laughing quite a bit actually, but people just chalk that up to him being a rookie.

That's the kind of talk I would rather hear though. Get behind a guy that hangs it out there like that.

Instead it was quieted and it just went away. We then get treated to stories of dinners and deep thought.

THIS TEAM IS NOT MOTIVATED

I want to say that i'm getting sick of Whitworth, but if it wasn't for him, you wouldn't hear much.

I thought it was funny that Hill said the Browns were worse than he thought they were.

Had me laughing quite a bit actually, but people just chalk that up to him being a rookie.

That's the kind of talk I would rather hear though. Get behind a guy that hangs it out there like that.

Instead it was quieted and it just went away. We then get treated to stories of dinners and deep thought.

THIS TEAM IS NOT MOTIVATED

Don't forget your perspective Army:

"....I feel the same way Hoosier. Not near as upset as I used to get with the team.

I got my basement all cleaned out this past Sunday and finished my garage last night !!!

Getting both of those things done brought me more joy than a Bengals win would have.

That being said, i'm hoping to pick up a couple of tickets to take my son down to catch the game Sunday.

I will be rooting and yelling like always. Maybe more knowing my basement and garage are clean !!! "