Jaguars @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year we ran consistently behind Moobs and Zeitler. It isn't working this year.

why do you think this is?? Hue asking for slightly different roles or opposing D's having better players/game plans ?????

Last year they didn't want to run the hell out of Gio and we were left to watch BJGE plod his way to very little.

This year, they seem to want to blow Gio up running him through the middle while Hill sits and waits.

While I will say the carries are starting to even out, I think the roles of the two backs are fairly obvious but aren't used in that manner.

The injuries to Zeitler also aren't helping matters much, but I think Pollak has filled in as well as can be expected.

I would just rather see Hill getting used more inbetween the tackles as opposed to sending Gio in there time after time to get beat up.

I could be wrong, that's just my perspective on it.

I'd like to see them use Hill and Peerman as Gio against the Jags and give Burkhead the short yardage pounding running attempts. Burkhead could be a serious threat out of the backfield, he has good hands and is a load to bring down. You only have to look at what the Ravens have done with Jurysk (sp?) in the pass game.

I have not understood the reluctance to use all the RB's as a rotation. We know that Peerman can run, I suspect that Burkhead can handle the NFL just fine. I am at a loss, I expected Hue to use them all.

Another perplexing item is Hewitt, is he hurt?

I think Hewitt got dinged as well.

Burkhead. HE'S the one I want to see get time. I know what Peerman brings to the table already and that's depth.

If Gio is going to be out, which is what it sounds like, I want to see Hill and Burkhead pound the ball.

The two of them in a rotation is something I think would pay dividends for them.

Bring in the heavy o-line formation and pound the hell out of them.

That would be fun to watch.

As much as I had a good feeling going into last week's game, I have a bad feeling going into this one. By all rights the Bengals ought to run away with this game. But they're beat up and wildly inconsistent. Jacksonville comes in with nothing to lose, a defense that, like Indy's, has been playing above its weight and a rookie QB -- which should be an advantage but as we know with this team, might not be.

I hope they win but this feels like an "egg" game.

I hope you are as wrong this week as you were right last week. So far this team seems to beat the teams they should beat, and get crushed by the teams they shouldn't beat. By that paradigm, they should win this game. Since our players are all dinged up, hopefully the Jags will be the Jags and hand it to us with turnovers or something.

As much as I had a good feeling going into last week's game, I have a bad feeling going into this one. By all rights the Bengals ought to run away with this game. But they're beat up and wildly inconsistent. Jacksonville comes in with nothing to lose, a defense that, like Indy's, has been playing above its weight and a rookie QB -- which should be an advantage but as we know with this team, might not be.

I hope they win but this feels like an "egg" game.

I hope you are as wrong this week as you were right last week. So far this team seems to beat the teams they should beat, and get crushed by the teams they shouldn't beat. By that paradigm, they should win this game. Since our players are all dinged up, hopefully the Jags will be the Jags and hand it to us with turnovers or something.

As long as they don't do one of their patented "make the rookie QB look like Montana" bits, they should win. But they're beat up and it's a lot harder to trust them now than it was at 3-0.

There was a write up over on ESPN that was talking about how Bortles throws at 60% completion rate when facing at least a 5 man rush, but hasn't thrown any TD's and HAS thrown picks when facing the pressure. This is still where I think the defense needs to focus. Keep putting pressure on Bortles and force him to make the plays. I'm betting we come out ahead even if he does make some plays.

On the flip side, pound the ball, take some shots here and there, repeat.

The Scene: Game Plan Installation, Offensive Coordinator’s Room, PBS.

Hue Jackson: “Ok men, we’re here to install the offense we’ll use Sunday against the mighty Jacksonville Jaguars. It’s no secret we need to protect Andy from making any mistakes, so we’ll dial it down this week to passes of 3 yards or less only, and we’ll.."

Andrew Whitworth: Interrupting; “Uh, Hue, Andy doesn’t need any protection, did you see the throws he made against the Ravens? He threw that 48 yarder to Mo like it was nothing. Come on, open up the playbook!”

Hug Jackson: “What the hell you talking about Whitworth? Get your thank you card from Ngata yet for letting him run free all over Andy? He ‘bout killed our boy here. Shut up ‘till you learn to play football. Like I was saying, we’re simplifying things. Here’s a little film of the scheme we’ll be using this week.” (turns on video, offense watches video).

Andrew Whitworth: “That’s just a movie scene showing a group of cavemen attacking another group of cavemen.”

Hue Jackson: “Yep, that’s our new offense.”

Andrew Whitworth: “What the hell? We’re playing professional football, those guys are just hacking at each other with bones and shit. That’s not football.”

Hue Jackson: “That’s our new offense Whitworth, I’ve loaded it on all your Ipads, so learn it by tomorrow. Think you can handle it, Dalton?”

Andy Dalton: “Well, as it says in Galatians, Chapter 4, Verse 4, ‘But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law,’”

Hue Jackson: “Seriously? Again? Just try to answer the question. Can you learn this offense?”

Andy Dalton: “Like it says in John, Chapter 11, Verse 14, ‘So then Jesus said to them clearly, “Lazarus has died.”

Hue Jackson: “What the fuck? Speak English Dalton, I’m trying to keep you in one piece and still win this game. I loaded our new offense on your Ipad, can you learn it by tomorrow?”

Andy Dalton: “As it says in Zephaniah, Chapter 1, verse 14, ‘Near is the great day of the LORD, near and very swiftly coming. ”

Hue Jackson: “You have got to be shitting me Dalton. Now you’re just playin’. Everyone know there ain’t no book of Zephernina in the Bible. Whitworth, you love your boy so much, you make sure he learns the new offense for the run through tomorrow.”

Andrew Whitworth: “You got it coach, he’ll know it. What’s his role going to be exactly? From the film it looks like they all just flail at each other until someone falls down.”

Hue Jackson: “His job is to not fall down. You and all your fat friends up front just keep him clean, for once goddamit! Man I’m fucking pissed about last week! Andre Smith! Duckwalk across this room right now, ten times goddamit!”

Andre Smith: “I suppose calling me fat makes you feel better about your own inadequacies? Well, I have feelings.” /Begins duckwalking across the room/

Vontaze Burfict: “Holy shit Andre! You on the Marie Osmond Nutrisystem plan for 6 weeks, got Marie herself callin’ you up and coachin’ you, and you still getting fatter every day! This from the book of Burfict, Chapter Ten, Verse 1, you gonna blow up like a balloon and float away from this place one day.”

Hue Jackson: “Burfict? What the fuck you doin’ in here Burfict? This offense meetin’. You go sit in a dark room somewhere or whatever new age shit you doin’ for your smashed up brain. And quit talkin’ bible talk, you a heathen anyway.”

Andy Dalton: “A heathen in our midst? As it says in Psalms, Chapter 14, verse 1, 'Only fools say in their heart,"There is no God."'

Vontaze Burfict: “What the fuck, Dalton? Don’t call me a fool, Matthew Verse 5, chapter 22, says, ‘Whosoever shall say, “thou fool” shall be in danger of hell fire.” You goin’ to hell at this rate Dalton. Damn! All the cells destined for your simple brain musta got siphoned off to your right shoulder or somethin’. Throw some fuckin’ touchdowns this week so I don’t have to go for the fucking knockout hit every other play.”

Hue Jackson: “Fuck! Focus on this shit, people.” /Plays caveman hacking video again/

Vontaze Burfict: “Now THAT is a fucking offense! We finally getting somewhere in the ‘Nati!”

Hue Jackson: “OK, Burfict you can stay. AJ Green, you gonna be able to go this week?”

AJ Green: “My metatarsal is recovered from the trauma inflicted by the Baltimore Ravens in week 1. Throw me the ball.”

Vontaze Burfict: “You hear that Dalton? Do all that caveman shit from the video, then throw like a couple 80 yard bombs to this motherfucker. Offensive game planning meeting over!”

Hue Jackson: “He’s right. That’s our game plan. Meeting over. You are all dismissed. Dalton, you study that Ipad, I expect you to know that offense tomorrow morning!”

Andy Dalton: “Psalms, Chapter 94, verse 3 - How long, LORD, shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked glory?”

Hue Jackson: “Goddamit Dalton, quit looking ahead to the Steelers. They’re coming in here December 7th, for now just focus on the Jags. The Jags!”

Andre Smith (still duckwalking): “Uh coach, I’ve only made 3 trips across the room.”

Hue Jackson: “You good Andre. Get up. Let’s go get lunch at the Skyline on 4th and Sycamore. It’s on me, big fella.”

You really have a lot of time on your hands huh COB ??

Don't get me wrong, I love it and laugh, but damn.

Andy Dalton: “Psalms, Chapter 94, verse 3 - How long, LORD, shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked glory?”

Hue Jackson: “Goddamit Dalton, quit looking ahead to the Steelers. They’re coming in here December 7th, for now just focus on the Jags. The Jags!”

Nice !!!

Hue Jackson: “His job is to not fall down. You and all your fat friends up front just keep him clean, for once goddamit! Man I’m fucking pissed about last week! Andre Smith! Duckwalk across this room right now, ten times goddamit!”

Andre Smith: “I suppose calling me fat makes you feel better about your own inadequacies? Well, I have feelings.” /Begins duckwalking across the room/

lol.gif

Last year we ran consistently behind Moobs and Zeitler. It isn't working this year.

why do you think this is?? Hue asking for slightly different roles or opposing D's having better players/game plans ?????

Last year more runs were successful to the right. Zeitler has been out and Moobs may be playing hurt. He isn't his normal self for some reason. Hue's offense seems designed to use the base run to disguise quick screens, slants, short curls, HBs running Texas angles, TEs on curls, jet sweep plays.... As far as running off guard or off tackle, there hasn't been much success. Nor behind Center. Even with Hewitt in lead blocking, we have struggled. They get into the first level but the lanes are clogged. Defenses are playing close to the line since AJ , Jones, and Eifert are out. I expect improvement once Little gets up to speed and the others return.