Ravens @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Patriots blowout and the Colts blowout are a mountain to me. A good NFL team competes. They don't always win, but they compete hard when they lose. We looked totally outclassed in both games. Then again, the Jags just beat the Browns, so we could theoretically beat the stupid ass Ravens. Defenses have figured out our screen and dink and dunk stuff so Hue Jackson better put on his thinking cap, hopefully not the same one that recommended Orson Charles duckwalk around the office.

The Patriots blowout and the Colts blowout are a mountain to me. A good NFL team competes. They don't always win, but they compete hard when they lose. We looked totally outclassed in both games. Then again, the Jags just beat the Browns, so we could theoretically beat the stupid ass Ravens. Defenses have figured out our screen and dink and dunk stuff so Hue Jackson better put on his thinking cap, hopefully not the same one that recommended Orson Charles duckwalk around the office.

Agree they've looked like shit in those games, but again, I simply think it's hard when losing so many starters and then your "next man up" plays like shit. Injuries haven't been kind and they haven't adjusted well in my opinion. What are they waiting for with Hill ?? He's getting paid to be the bell cow, so let him do that. Swing Gio out or do whatever, but I worry about Gio's long term health if he keeps taking shots like he did against the Colts because they keep forcing that dump off pass.

There are things they can't do when missing AJ, Eifert, and Marvin Jones.

Agree they've looked like shit in those games, but again, I simply think it's hard when losing so many starters and then your "next man up" plays like shit. Injuries haven't been kind and they haven't adjusted well in my opinion. What are they waiting for with Hill ?? He's getting paid to be the bell cow, so let him do that. Swing Gio out or do whatever, but I worry about Gio's long term health if he keeps taking shots like he did against the Colts because they keep forcing that dump off pass.

I see all of the injury facts but they looked like an inferior opponent in their losses. Ill prepared and uninspired. Outcoached and simply a bottom tier team.

When it comes down to it, that's the difference in great teams and average teams. The ability to overcome injuries and make adjustments. All teams have injuries. It just seems like the Bengals have more because we follow them closer than any other team.

Science teaches us that if you listen to some heavy kick ass rock you will be held in high regard by your colleagues, and your NFL team will arise from the ashes and smite jackass wife beating idiots from Maryland. Caution! Sasquatch is a band not to be trifled with. If you bail 40 seconds into this thing, they will come to your house and steal your aluminum siding and gutters, take it all to the recycling center, then spend all that sweet cash on frivolous beads, trinkets, and lighters with their favorite NASCAR drivers on them. If, on the other hand, you carry your balls around in a wheelbarrow and you make it through this whole song, you will ascend to Mt. Olympus where you will be feted by the Gods and asked to give a speech explaining how a mere mortal like yourself came to be such a complete carnivorous savage.

All teams have injuries. It just seems like the Bengals have more because we follow them closer than any other team.

Possibly. I guess if I were so inclined (which i'm not) I would go to look at how many of the other teams have lost as many starters.

Then I would probably look at if that starter is a key part of what they do or simply another player in the scheme.

I would argue that the Bengals injuries to Green, Eifert, and Burfict are huge to their respective side of the ball.

Add in Marvin Jones, Maualuga, Zeitler, Thompson, and more and I think ours are pretty significant.

Again, I could be wrong but I don't care to take the time to figure that out. I'd rather continue speculating without any real evidence.

All teams have injuries. It just seems like the Bengals have more because we follow them closer than any other team.

Possibly. I guess if I were so inclined (which i'm not) I would go to look at how many of the other teams have lost as many starters.

Then I would probably look at if that starter is a key part of what they do or simply another player in the scheme.

I would argue that the Bengals injuries to Green, Eifert, and Burfict are huge to their respective side of the ball.

Add in Marvin Jones, Maualuga, Zeitler, Thompson, and more and I think ours are pretty significant.

Again, I could be wrong but I don't care to take the time to figure that out. I'd rather continue speculating without any real evidence.

I go back to Lap's point that he doesn't see ANY team that loses their top 3 receivers NOT being affected at some level

Science teaches us that if you listen to some heavy kick ass rock you will be held in high regard by your colleagues, and your NFL team will arise from the ashes and smite jackass wife beating idiots from Maryland. Caution! Sasquatch is a band not to be trifled with. If you bail 40 seconds into this thing, they will come to your house and steal your aluminum siding and gutters, take it all to the recycling center, then spend all that sweet cash on frivolous beads, trinkets, and lighters with their favorite NASCAR drivers on them. If, on the other hand, you carry your balls around in a wheelbarrow and you make it through this whole song, you will ascend to Mt. Olympus where you will be feted by the Gods and asked to give a speech explaining how a mere mortal like yourself came to be such a complete carnivorous savage.

Nice COB. "Stoner Rock". Had me wanting to head to the bar, order up some cold ones and get into some trouble.

We really need to start up another music thread for real !!!

With 7 in the box, and wides going vertical, doest that leave a hoke for the Eifert types, in the middle?

I go back to Lap's point that he doesn't see ANY team that loses their top 3 receivers NOT being affected at some level

Affected yes, though I still don't think it's an excuse to get pummeled twice.

The Cardinals lost their top 2 QB's for multiple games. They're 5-1.

I guess we'll see the true Bengals as the season shakes out. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Honestly though, I don't see it getting better.

Talk of AJ not being right until 2015, same for Burfict, Eifert missed half the season and needs time, LB's beat the f*ck up, etc.

It's why I don't think their home unbeaten streak goes any further than this Sunday.

Hope i'm wrong about that as well.

Hobs:

A.J. Green didn’t practice Wednesday and instead worked on the rehab field, which still puts him in play for Sunday's 1 p.m. game against the Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium. Green did some running, as well as high-stepping and stretching.

Pro Bowl WILL linebacker Vontaze Burfict, who suffered a cervical strain last Sunday in Indianapolis, worked in the uniform of the day, helmets and shoulder pads. Rotating defensive tackle Brandon Thompson, one of their best run players, returned to practice for the first time since spraining his knee in the Sept. 14 victory over Atlanta and not a moment too soon with his defense giving up nearly five yards per carry. Both were listed as limited, as was starting SAM backer Emmanuel Lamur (shoulder), who missed last week after his injury on the next-to-last-play of regulation against Carolina.

Also limited Wednesday were running back Giovani Bernard (ribs), defensive lineman Wallace Gilberry (eye), and right tackle Andre Smith (shoulder).

Starting cornerback Leon Hall, who strained his lower back last Sunday, didn’t work. Neither did rotational defensive lineman Robert Geathers (toe) nor backup right guard Mike Pollak (knee).

Green didn't talk to the media before practice and indications are his injured big toe is an hour-to-hour proposition

Head coach Marvin Lewis didn’t or couldn’t shed much light on the situation before practice.

"When he’s significantly healed, he’ll be ready to play. He’ll know it, I’ll know it. Then he’ll move forward,” Lewis said. “He’s had the best people in the world, at least in our country, examine him and be consistent with their message…we’ve felt good about that.”

But Lewis did suggest that Green for about 20 snaps would be better than no Green.

“It’s hard for me to put a guy out there Sunday that I don’t think can last a full game,’ he said. “If we have A.J. for part of the game doing certain things, that would be great. I think we could operate offensively…I guess we’ll cross that bridge when the time comes.”

If it's all about playoffs and SB, do we expect them to get three with the following guys probably not getting to 100% until next year; Jones, Green, Eifert, Burfict, and Geno? I would have to say no.

If not, then, for me it makes little difference if they get pummeled or lose competitively.

This is where I differ. Uninspired football is the sign of a weak team. Get those players back and it won't matter if they aren't mentally resilient.

So, yes. It makes a huge difference in how they lose.

Sir, I see Sasquatch heavy groove and raise you.... to a level that will require your willful submission to the dominant bass line and epic storytelling contained herein. I present Red Fang - Prehistoric Dog

/>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VufilzHKTqk

be frightened not

If it's all about playoffs and SB, do we expect them to get three with the following guys probably not getting to 100% until next year; Jones, Green, Eifert, Burfict, and Geno? I would have to say no.

If not, then, for me it makes little difference if they get pummeled or lose competitively.

This is where I differ. Uninspired football is the sign of a weak team. Get those players back and it won't matter if they aren't mentally resilient.

I'm not counting the Pats game because any of the other 30 teams would have lost that night. The Panthers game was on penalties, turnovers and Nugent.

Last week they got beat in every phase of the game, with 8 key players out.

IF you are claiming that the Colts loss was due to uninspiration, would you say that the Broncos played uninspired against Seattle in the SB? I see very little difference in either game as far as domination by the Seahawks and Colts.

Speaking of Seahawks, the dominant defense of 2013, just gave up 88 points in 3 games with 3 losses.

I'd say the Broncos were outcoached. The Seahawks are playing uninspired. They just won the SB.

So yes, part of the coaching is to establish the mentality and tempo. They are not getting it done.

Losses due to injury are understandable. Getting smoked 3 straight weeks signals something isn't right.

The Cardinals lost their top 2 QB's for multiple games. They're 5-1.

They play good defense

We (now) don't

My point is that an injury riddled team is finding ways to compensate and get it done.

If the Bengals win it's because "they've fought through injury and adversity", if they lose it's because "they're injured".

What's the variable? Looks like it's the "fight". No?

I'd say the Broncos were outcoached. The Seahawks are playing uninspired. They just won the SB.

So yes, part of the coaching is to establish the mentality and tempo. They are not getting it done.

Losses due to injury are understandable. Getting smoked 3 straight weeks signals something isn't right.

A tie is getting smoked?

So two games, 2014 SB, and last Sunday, that has 2 teams dominate the other, in all phases, one is outcoached, the other is uninspired?

I'm not counting the Pats game because any of the other 30 teams would have lost that night. The Panthers game was on penalties, turnovers and Nugent.

Last week they got beat in every phase of the game, with 8 key players out.

IF you are claiming that the Colts loss was due to uninspiration, would you say that the Broncos played uninspired against Seattle in the SB? I see very little difference in either game as far as domination by the Seahawks and Colts.

Speaking of Seahawks, the dominant defense of 2013, just gave up 88 points in 3 games with 3 losses.

Well I can tell you some guys efforts sucked. There was a small clip that Shula posted that showed Newman going to make a tackle and pulled back for whatever reason as the RB ran by. In the game rewind tape you see guys like Andre Smith not even getting out of his stance when the ball is hiked, and the colts DE runs right by him for a sack. Injuries or not, there is no way these players are that bad, and I'm talking about the depth guys, and if they are then there drafts must be bad, when I thought they were good.

They need to count on certain guys, like where is Magus Hunt, is he that bad?

Geno Atkins in 55 snaps he didn't even record a tackle? I understand he might not be 100% but come on not 1 tackle. If that's the case then find somebody who can play.

They were counting on Lamur I've not been overly impressed, hopefully he gets better.

Peko great leader, has lost step on the field

Gilberry looks great at DT, but who do you put outside, old man Geathers or Margus Hunt who is so non existant?

Burfict is so hurt this year, he is not the same you can tell.

I could go on but when I look at this, the injuries suck, but maybe at the same time we all thought they were better then what they really are. We all thought this might be the most talent this team has had, but maybe guys who we thought were really talented are not. I guess time will tell, but if not every guy puts in the effort, this team will struggle no matter who is on field.

A tie is getting smoked?

So two games, 2014 SB, and last Sunday, that has 2 teams dominate the other, in all phases, one is outcoached, the other is uninspired?

The defense got smoked.

How does an uninspired team make the SB? Seriously.

A tie is getting smoked?

The defense got smoked.

How does an uninspired team make the SB? Seriously.

The Bengal defense got smoked, but the Panthers D, did not?