Ravens @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

Preface this by saying this has nothing to do with any of the Bengal games we've been talking about.

Sidebar :

Have you ever watched a game, any sport, where 2 closely matched teams play, they both play a good game, but one team was just a step ahead that game?

The losing team made any possible adjustments and substitutions but still lost? Didn't beat themselves, just got beat?

If yes how often would you say that happens?

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the Broncos were outcoached. The Seahawks are playing uninspired. They just won the SB.

So yes, part of the coaching is to establish the mentality and tempo. They are not getting it done.

Losses due to injury are understandable. Getting smoked 3 straight weeks signals something isn't right.

A tie is getting smoked?

So two games, 2014 SB, and last Sunday, that has 2 teams dominate the other, in all phases, one is outcoached, the other is uninspired?

The defense got smoked.

How does an uninspired team make the SB? Seriously.

The Bengal defense got smoked, but the Panthers D, did not?

They did, indeed.

Preface this by saying this has nothing to do with any of the Bengal games we've been talking about.

Sidebar :

Have you ever watched a game, any sport, where 2 closely matched teams play, they both play a good game, but one team was just a step ahead that game?

The losing team made any possible adjustments and substitutions but still lost? Didn't beat themselves, just got beat?

It happens. Most of it is simply a perspective difference. How a team got beat is all someone's perspective.

This is kind of my point. I'm not saying that them playing uninspired is damning them to the dregs of the NFL. In fact, I'm complementing the things that they have accomplished. There is talent on this team. In fact, in recent years, their inspired play has allowed them to overachieve. Maybe the better word is lack of focus.

That's where they're playing right now. With a lack of focus. Why do I say this? Because over the last 4 years, this team has inexplicably not shown up. Especially in big games. Why? Lack of focus. Not talent or gameplanning. Though, that is a factor to some extent. I'm not making this up, this team can get into some weird funks that seem to mentally based. Injuries are a factor. Sure. Marvin Jones and Tyler Eifert have played in a combined 10 minutes this season. It's not like the coaches and team didn't have time to make a suitable game plan. The defense? They're in a funk, playing some unfocused ball.

All of this points to some inability to overcome distraction and uncontrollable circumstances. Uncontrollable. Injuries don't even need to be discussed. They don't need to be a part of this team's psyche. Period. But they are human. They even said "we were embarrassed." Ok. Pick your shit up and get it done next week. I don't know about you, but I've never been embarrassed when "I've given it my all." They know damn well they played like they wanted to go home. Ok. Fix it. No big deal. Most importantly. Stop allowing a poor effort to happen. Of course that required leadership to keep guys in focus. These are kids we're talking about. 24 year old kids.

I like this team. I like the players. Some need to go but I do like these guys. They just need to figure their shit out.

Science teaches us that if you listen to some heavy kick ass rock you will be held in high regard by your colleagues, and your NFL team will arise from the ashes and smite jackass wife beating idiots from Maryland. Caution! Sasquatch is a band not to be trifled with. If you bail 40 seconds into this thing, they will come to your house and steal your aluminum siding and gutters, take it all to the recycling center, then spend all that sweet cash on frivolous beads, trinkets, and lighters with their favorite NASCAR drivers on them. If, on the other hand, you carry your balls around in a wheelbarrow and you make it through this whole song, you will ascend to Mt. Olympus where you will be feted by the Gods and asked to give a speech explaining how a mere mortal like yourself came to be such a complete carnivorous savage.

Sir, I see Sasquatch heavy groove and raise you.... to a level that will require your willful submission to the dominant bass line and epic storytelling contained herein. I present Red Fang - Prehistoric Dog

/>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VufilzHKTqk

be frightened not

I knew there was a reason I liked you guys.

"Hey Gandolf, nice dress !!!"

Loved the video. It reminded me of being a private in the Army when I was stationed in Germany at age 19 with no drinking age.

Good times !!!

Science teaches us that if you listen to some heavy kick ass rock you will be held in high regard by your colleagues, and your NFL team will arise from the ashes and smite jackass wife beating idiots from Maryland. Caution! Sasquatch is a band not to be trifled with. If you bail 40 seconds into this thing, they will come to your house and steal your aluminum siding and gutters, take it all to the recycling center, then spend all that sweet cash on frivolous beads, trinkets, and lighters with their favorite NASCAR drivers on them. If, on the other hand, you carry your balls around in a wheelbarrow and you make it through this whole song, you will ascend to Mt. Olympus where you will be feted by the Gods and asked to give a speech explaining how a mere mortal like yourself came to be such a complete carnivorous savage.

Sir, I see Sasquatch heavy groove and raise you.... to a level that will require your willful submission to the dominant bass line and epic storytelling contained herein. I present Red Fang - Prehistoric Dog

be frightened not

Loved the video. It reminded me of being a private in the Army when I was stationed in Germany at age 19 with no drinking age.

Good times !!!

If I were stationed in Germany at the same time you were, I suspect we would have done some damage. Early Army days, work hard, play hard. Later Army days, power point hard, catch up on sleep in free time.

be frightened not

Ummm...this is badass.

be frightened not

I've watched this thing about 3 times in a row...

So what I'm taking away from all this is that we're meeting at COB's Sunday for Dungeons & Dragons. Cool. I'll bring the Cheetoes and Mountain Dew.

I'll play the cleric. Really, I don't mind. ;)/>

I'll geek out if it means the Bengals win Sunday. I'm in. I'm Gandalf. That's my condition.

Sidebar :

It happens. Most of it is simply a perspective difference. How a team got beat is all someone's perspective.

This is kind of my point. I'm not saying that them playing uninspired is damning them to the dregs of the NFL. In fact, I'm complementing the things that they have accomplished. There is talent on this team. In fact, in recent years, their inspired play has allowed them to overachieve. Maybe the better word is lack of focus.

That's where they're playing right now. With a lack of focus. Why do I say this? Because over the last 4 years, this team has inexplicably not shown up. Especially in big games. Why? Lack of focus. Not talent or gameplanning. Though, that is a factor to some extent. I'm not making this up, this team can get into some weird funks that seem to mentally based. Injuries are a factor. Sure. Marvin Jones and Tyler Eifert have played in a combined 10 minutes this season. It's not like the coaches and team didn't have time to make a suitable game plan. The defense? They're in a funk, playing some unfocused ball.

All of this points to some inability to overcome distraction and uncontrollable circumstances. Uncontrollable. Injuries don't even need to be discussed. They don't need to be a part of this team's psyche. Period. But they are human. They even said "we were embarrassed." Ok. Pick your shit up and get it done next week. I don't know about you, but I've never been embarrassed when "I've given it my all." They know damn well they played like they wanted to go home. Ok. Fix it. No big deal. Most importantly. Stop allowing a poor effort to happen. Of course that required leadership to keep guys in focus. These are kids we're talking about. 24 year old kids.

I like this team. I like the players. Some need to go but I do like these guys. They just need to figure their shit out.

This may help the situation, but I do like the responses of some of the players.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Vocal-Guenther-tackles-slump-urges-Tez-to-adjust-style-/3633ce19-3add-4b51-a9b8-18d7f9617008

Injury Report for Weds from the dot com

Did Not Practice:

AJ (toe), Geathers (toe), Hall (back), Pollack (knee)

Limited Practice:

Gio (ribs), Brock (neck), Burfict (neck), Gilberry (eye), Lamur (shoulder), Moobs (shoulder), Newhouse (back), Thompson (knee)

Out:

Maualuga (hammy)

lets hope this list dwindles as the week rolls on

be frightened not

Good times !!!

If I were stationed in Germany at the same time you were, I suspect we would have done some damage. Early Army days, work hard, play hard. Later Army days, power point hard, catch up on sleep in free time.

I loved those times in Germany.

19 years old, no drinking age, single, no bills and buddies in the same situation. We pooled our money together and felt like oil tycoons.

Rent the luxury BMW's, Mercedes, Audi's and so forth and take trips all over Europe. Get out on the autobahn prior to speed limits and simply tear shit up all over Europe. It was really maddening when looking back at it. I still can't believe none of died in all the shit we got into. Red light district in Nurnberg, Octoberfest in Munich, trips to Portugal, Spain, France, and Italy. Pure chaos with a bunch of young kids with money to burn, no drinking age, and legalized prostitution.

In regards to that music video? Yeah, watched it a few times now.

I have a wife, kids, and responsibilities in life, but I don't think i'll ever grow up.

Dick and fart jokes still make me laugh and having an 8 and 3 year old boys don't help.

BEST pregame chatter thread ever !!!

Go Bengals !!!

Sidebar :

This may help the situation, but I do like the responses of some of the players.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Vocal-Guenther-tackles-slump-urges-Tez-to-adjust-style-/3633ce19-3add-4b51-a9b8-18d7f9617008

Good read!

be frightened not

Holy crap. It's a good old fashioned metal-off. You brought the big guns early, put me in quite a quandrey. Do I just pull out the Orange Goblin and nuke the whole thing? Go viking and drop an Amon Amarth death dirge right into an unsuspecting Bengalszone? Nope. Keep it on the level. Since we're playing the Ravens this week I'm going with Maryland's finest, Clutch launching a coordinated attack on common decency.

Injury Report for Weds from the dot com

Did Not Practice:

AJ (toe), Geathers (toe), Hall (back), Pollack (knee)

Limited Practice:

Gio (ribs), Brock (neck), Burfict (neck), Gilberry (eye), Lamur (shoulder), Moobs (shoulder), Newhouse (back), Thompson (knee)

Out:

Maualuga (hammy)

lets hope this list dwindles as the week rolls on

Look at Sundays comparison so far:

/>http://is.gd/aZtKfw

be frightened not

Holy crap. It's a good old fashioned metal-off. You brought the big guns early, put me in quite a quandrey. Do I just pull out the Orange Goblin and nuke the whole thing? Go viking and drop an Amon Amarth death dirge right into an unsuspecting Bengalszone? Nope. Keep it on the level. Since we're playing the Ravens this week I'm going with Maryland's finest, Clutch launching a coordinated attack on common decency.

Clutch! Dang, you beat me to 'em. I was gonna take the low road with

Baltimore and Oh-hi-oh! To the North! :cheers:/>

OK - back to the Ravens game.

I'm much happier seeing Jones return kicks rather than Tate, but is anyone else concerned with Pacman's style of carrying the ball whilst he's returning? I can see his single handed hold as being susceptible to a swipe from a tackler and the ball coming loose.

Hope it never happens but it's just something that plays on my mind a wee bit

Scottish, the first rule of metal-off is, you don't interupt metal-off.

The second rule of metal-off is, YOU DON'T INTERUPT METAL-OFF !!!

All joking aside, I won't worry about Jones' handling of the ball until I see it being a problem.

Could that happen? Sure, but so could many great returns and possibly points.

I just want to see him doing it on a regular and not so here and there.

Scottish, the first rule of metal-off is, you don't interupt metal-off.

The second rule of metal-off is, YOU DON'T INTERUPT METAL-OFF !!!

I accept the scolding and make recompense ......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Fb8TArDz4

Hall back at practice today. Only guys not in during the part of practice open to the media were Whit (vet rest) and Green. AJ was apparently out of the boot and Dehner suspects they were going to test the foot in the closed session. Atkins came off during practice and they were looking at his foot but it doesn't sound serious at the moment.