Ravens @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

Despite the Indy game, I think this game is winnable. Getting Green back would be a big boost and that seems to be possible. Might get Lamur too.

On the Baltimore side they had to sign a new long snapper. That's thr kind of little thing that might impact the game.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now Ravens are far more physical, and are attacking well. The bengals are playing soft, getting thrown back, not attacking, o-line not pushing anyone. That does not sound good at all.

However I still don't think the bengals are as bad as they looked on Sunday, but the team better show up and every player better give 100% or we will see the same as last week. Still pisses me off about the effort against the Colts, so hopefully will see better.

Get some guys back hopefully and see where they are

Dont forget that Boling is coming off a season ending knee injury too. Interior of the oline is a rookie and two gimps. Need some bootlegs and rollouts in the game plan to give the downfield game time to open. And they have to find some way to run the damn ball.

Despite the Indy game, I think this game is winnable. Getting Green back would be a big boost and that seems to be possible. Might get Lamur too.

On the Baltimore side they had to sign a new long snapper. That's thr kind of little thing that might impact the game.

I'm going to drop this in and then move on from Sunday, because today is Monday.

On the website, Lap was stating some reasons that contributed to the Sunday performance.

The one thing he said that I never thought of was the week before the Bengals and Panthers played 75 minutes of gut wrenching, gassed football.

Yesterday BOTH teams got smashed! Definitely could have been a contributor.

Also, yesterday they played most of the game with 7 starters/key personnel on the sideline, and one that's still trying to get his legs back. (Green, Jones, Eifert, Thompson, Atkins,Burfict, Malaluga, Lamur)

Also, watching the tape, the Colts defense played 'lights out'. Yes, adjustments could have been made, but without your top 3 receivers, the adjustments would have had little affect because the Colts were gambling with their corners to press cover and giving up the deep stuff, gambling the blitzes and rush would be effective to nullify the deep threat without Green or Jones.

He didn't use those things as 'excuses' but 'reasons' that contributed to the end debacle result.

Okay, on to the Ravens! We'll see what kind of healing and adjustments can be made in this very important game coming up.

The Colts are better than anyone in the AFC North at this time. They handed Baltimore their heads when they went to Indy too, and I've little doubt they will obliterate Pittsburgh next week.

As for Baltimore, six games into the season I'm convinced of one thing. The AFCN is a reeking mess of slop. For whatever reason or reasons you care to ascribe it to, the Bengals are a big fat pile of nothing right now. Baltimore has gotten to the top of the rankings by beating such 2014 powerhouses as Tampa Bay and Atlanta. No one fears the Steelers anymore. And Cleveland is the leagues biggest tease.

At this point I'd say Baltimore has the best shot at the division simply because they're ahead now and their schedule is a cakewalk. But I don't see the north sending a wild card team this year, and whichever team makes the dance is one and done.

So yeah, big game. If the Bengals want to lose another playoff game, the run to postseason disappointment starts this week.

:frustrated:/>

Before the season we all knew injuries, penalties, and turnovers should be the only thing that keeps this team from the division, and like Lap said, no team in the league that loses it's top 3 receiving targets will NOT be affected. Plus there are too many 'key' people out. The only chance they have is to have zero turnovers and minimal penalties, and hope that AJ can play Sunday, to at least keep the Baltimore defense somewhat honest.

Green's status "up in the air."

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/21/a-j-green-says-his-status-is-still-up-in-the-air/

I feel the Jimmy Graham option coming on: they'll suit him up but limit him to certain packages. Red zone, second and shorts, third and forevers, those kind of things. It would be very nice to get a big play to him early just to establish that he has some zip and isn't just a decoy.

In reading some worthless power rankings, a blurb caught my eye.

The Bengals will play 3 games in an 12 day period with the Thursday night game against the Browns as the 3rd.

For the talk about how the Bengals were tired after playing a long winded game against the Panthers, that can't be viewed as a positive.

A win against the Ravens would have to be considered HUGE at this point and set them up for the next two against the Jags and Browns.

6-2-1 would be far from a bad thing.

After the Ravens, they have ton of games against very beatable teams (Jags, Browns x2, Steelers x2, Texans, and Bucaneers) with the Saints and Broncos looking like the biggest challenge in the 2nd half of the season. I don't want to see another one and done, but this team is still more than capable of getting to the playoffs.

In reading some worthless power rankings, a blurb caught my eye.

The Bengals will play 3 games in an 12 day period with the Thursday night game against the Browns as the 3rd.

For the talk about how the Bengals were tired after playing a long winded game against the Panthers, that can't be viewed as a positive.

A win against the Ravens would have to be considered HUGE at this point and set them up for the next two against the Jags and Browns.

6-2-1 would be far from a bad thing.

After the Ravens, they have ton of games against very beatable teams (Jags, Browns x2, Steelers x2, Texans, and Bucaneers) with the Saints and Broncos looking like the biggest challenge in the 2nd half of the season. I don't want to see another one and done, but this team is still more than capable of getting to the playoffs.

Agree totally, but wanted to clear up one thing. Lap never mentioned anything about being tired. All he said was, that it was ironic that after such a long, hard fought, emotional game, BOTH teams got slammed on Sunday. That's all that was said.

Also, I was in between gigs and decided to research the Thursday night football scenario, particularly reasons, outside of the obvious, why the players want it either moved to Saturday, or stopped all together. (Saturday will probably never happen because of college football).

I found it interesting how the players week unfolds. All players that are playing most of the snaps, usually don't start getting past the aches and pains until Wednesday, despite the Tuesday practice.

Depending on how the game goes, most of the players don't really get back to the 'healing' point until Thursday or Friday, which is why they want TNF gone.

Of course the older the player is the longer it takes to heal.

I've never played so I never realized what a beating they take, and the lingering affect, regardless of how good of shape they are in.

Lap said they were playing on heavy legs, so I take that as tired. I love listening to Lap during the broadcast he tells it like it is.

That's why I would rather hear his opinion on most football situations, than talking heads, since he has lived the football week scenario I described above. Just wish I could get a venue where his broadcast was live with respect to the NFL Ticket.

I've heard that from other talking heads as well in regards to them being tired, but they were probably just piggybacking off of Lap.

That being said, I can't help but think this Ravens game is going to have huge implications on the remainder of the season.

And I wish I were upbeat about the expected outcome.

I've heard that from other talking heads as well in regards to them being tired, but they were probably just piggybacking off of Lap.

That being said, I can't help but think this Ravens game is going to have huge implications on the remainder of the season.

And I wish I were upbeat about the expected outcome.

If they lose, there's a chance that they land in last place. At least 3rd behind the Browns and Ravens.

There are some fundamental flaws on the defense that it appears were being hidden very well by Zimmer. But a team that's starting subpar D-lineman like Geathers and Peko, etc, isn't going to do well. The LBs outside of Burfict weren't solid to begin with. Now, with all the injuries, the depth of the team is being exposed.

Yep, they could very well be in last place with a loss and wins by both the Browns and Steelers.

The Raiders are going into Cleveland and the Colts are going into Pittsburgh.

Ugh...

The LB's were thought to be a concern, but I don't think Lamur has played well. Couple that with both Maualuga and Burfict being dinged and it's bad.

The D-line has gotten little to no push. Geathers keeping Hunt on the bench confuses me and Geno still isn't himself, which Peko pays for.

The secondary isn't getting the luxury of a front 4 that puts pressure on the QB and that rarely works well regardless of who is back there.

I don't know how much of that is really the loss of Zimmer and lack of planning on Guenther's part however.

They weren't having these concerns through the first three games, but it is what it is.

I can't say as there is a fix for it either. Anyone see Flowers needing to start any games this year ??

Also, Vinny Rey looks like a different player than the one that made good on his opportunity last season.

I doubt Zim would have done much better. Geathers and Peko are another year older. Still and Hunt are busts. Thompson and Geno are hurt, and MJ is in Tampa. As of last week they were down their nos. 1 thru 4 linebackers. Marquis friggin Flowers played half the game. And to top it off, Hall went down and the rookie got tossed into the fire. The only scheme that helps you there is long drives by the offense that keep you and Luck off the field. But with all the deep threats hurt the Colts D could stuff the box and rush Dalton all day. That's the puzzle the have to solve before Sunday.

Lanc McAlister, who I normally cringe at, made a great point last night on his show.

You are only as strong as your weakest players.

The lack of depth on this team is alarming. Heck, some of the starters really shouldn't be starters. On top of it, they've looked ill prepared to say the least.

Sunday will be telling. I honestly don't think it's going to go well. Nor do I think the rest of the season will. Very hard schedule with tough away games.

I think they can still lose this game Sunday and find themselves in the race at the end of the season.

I just think they make it MUCH harder if they do in fact drop this game against the Ravens.

Being 2-0 in the division will help them greatly.

Only the Saints and Broncos games are ones I say as the most challenging.

Don't get me wrong, we always get tough games from the Steelers and Browns, but they are beatable teams.

They just can't overlook the other teams they should clearly beat like the Jags, Texans, and Bucs.

Getting healthy would go a long way in making sure that doesn't happen.

I think they can still lose this game Sunday and find themselves in the race at the end of the season.

I just think they make it MUCH harder if they do in fact drop this game against the Ravens.

Don't get me wrong, we always get tough games from the Steelers and Browns, but they are beatable teams.

They just can't overlook the other teams they should clearly beat like the Jags, Texans, and Bucs.

I wouldn't place any money that the Bengals would beat the Texans in Houston. That crowd, stadium, and noise. Arian Foster? J.J. Watt? Ha. In fact, I don't see the Texans as an inferior team to the Bengals at all.

Look at it this way. If the Bengals lose and go 3-3-1, to have a realistic shot at the division they'd have to go 7-2 the rest of the way. I can't see them losing only 2 games in that stretch.

Sunday is huge. Put up or shutup.