Why do fans get so optimistic about Bengals every yr?

kodak

I don't understand why fans think we will become the best team under Lewis. He's proven time and time again he can't get a team ready for the playoffs. He's always had a "play not to lose" style. That is never successful long term in any sport.

Go read the description of the word FAN, if you really want an answer.

I don't understand why fans think we will become the best team under Lewis. He's proven time and time again he can't get a team ready for the playoffs. He's always had a "play not to lose" style. That is never successful long term in any sport.

Look at the statistical history of this franchise and you will back off this post some.

Why do "fans" get so optimistic ??

Is that a trick question ??

God knows it would be much easier to simply not bother rooting for a team to do well that has more talent than most Bengal teams in the history of the franchise right ?? Is that what we as "fans" should do ?? It's not going to work, so why bother ?? However, that would beg the question of why would someone come to a message board to discuss a team there is no reason to be optimistic about ??

Define optimistic in regards to this season.

Optimistic for..

Super Bowl? I don't know, we aren't in February yet.

Winning a playoff game? I don't know, we aren't in January yet.

Winning the AFCN? We are 3-1. 1-0 in the division.

Having a winning record? We are 3-1.

Are you saying that fans shouldn't be optimistic? Because they lost to the Patriots?

Look at the statistical history of this franchise and you will back off this post some.

What a terrible argument. You're happy with mediocrity because teams were worse in the past? You dont think anyone could do better with the team than Lewis does?

Define optimistic in regards to this season.

Optimistic for..

Super Bowl? I don't know, we aren't in February yet.

Winning a playoff game? I don't know, we aren't in January yet.

Winning the AFCN? We are 3-1. 1-0 in the division.

Having a winning record? We are 3-1.

Are you saying that fans shouldn't be optimistic? Because they lost to the Patriots?

Every year fans say this is the yr, yet we have same results yr after yr with Lewis. I feel talent is wasted under Lewis with in game ineptitude.

Why do "fans" get so optimistic ??

Is that a trick question ??

God knows it would be much easier to simply not bother rooting for a team to do well that has more talent than most Bengal teams in the history of the franchise right ?? Is that what we as "fans" should do ?? It's not going to work, so why bother ?? However, that would beg the question of why would someone come to a message board to discuss a team there is no reason to be optimistic about ??

I'm saying this because we have seen over and over that Lewis doesn't get the job done. Thank you for your service to the greatest country ever.

I think you're asking the wrong group of people. I don't know of anyone on this board that picked this team to go beyond 11-5 and an AFCN title. They're on track to do that.

Optimism? I'm pretty sure most of us here are fans that like discussing the team. We prefer when they win. We cringe when they lose. There's always another great win around the corner, and probably another crushing defeat.

Ask the Steelers how they feel since going to the SB in 2010?

What a terrible argument. You're happy with mediocrity because teams were worse in the past? You dont think anyone could do better with the team than Lewis does?

You can't argue with the facts. It is what it is. Are you issuing the franchise an ultimatum?

What is your trump card? Stop supporting them financially?

If that's the case I guess Mike will have go to his personal savings to pay for Dalton's and Burfict's extensions.

I think you're asking the wrong group of people. I don't know of anyone on this board that picked this team to go beyond 11-5 and an AFCN title. They're on track to do that.

Optimism? I'm pretty sure most of us here are fans that like discussing the team. We prefer when they win. We cringe when they lose. There's always another great win around the corner, and probably another crushing defeat.

Lewis gives no reason for optimism. We know what he gives us. That's not enough. The fans optimism every yr has bought Lewis time with contract extensions multiple times. This keeps the team spinning it's wheels. Do you never want a Super Bowl win?

You can'A argue with the facts. It is what it is. Are you issuing the franchise an ultimatum?

If that's the case I guess Mike will have go to his personal savings to pay for Dalton's and Burfict's extensions.

Facts are that Lewis is a mediocre football coach that hurts the team. How about Brown goes into his savings and hire a better coach. I would not have signed Dalton, though he seems like a nice guy.

He's always had a "play not to lose" style. That is never successful long term in any sport.

Can you support this assertion with evidence? Because my evidence to the contrary is as follows: When my daughter was in kindergartgen I coached her coed soccer team. We sucked mainly because my coaching methods were ineffective. Then last game of the year comes around. We somehow get a 1-0 lead, and at halftime I told them to hold the ball in our end, pass, play keep away, just don't shoot. Then near the end of the game, their aggressive little ruffian, Christian, steals the ball and goes on a breakaway. Christian had spent the whole game kicking and holding our pituitary case, Matthew Grossman. Matthew sees the breakaway, and takes off at a sprint with a look in his eyes that would best be described as rage fueled homicide. He catches him, gets his shoulder under Christians arm, then completely lifts him off his feet and body slams him. All the coaches run on the field because Christian is squealing like a stuck pig. The other coach and myself agree that we should just end the game. We won, 1-0, by playing not to lose. Suck on that. As a postscript, Matthew's family moved away to Danville, Indiana, he'd be a freshman in high school by now, and is probably starring as a lineman on his football team. The kid was huge.

He's always had a "play not to lose" style. That is never successful long term in any sport.

Can you support this assertion with evidence? Because my evidence to the contrary is as follows: When my daughter was in kindergartgen I coached her coed soccer team. We sucked mainly because my coaching methods were ineffective. Then last game of the year comes around. We somehow get a 1-0 lead, and at halftime I told them to hold the ball in our end, pass, play keep away, just don't shoot. Then near the end of the game, their aggressive little ruffian, Christian, steals the ball and goes on a breakaway. Christian had spent the whole game kicking and holding our pituitary case, Matthew Grossman. Matthew sees the breakaway, and takes off at a sprint with a look in his eyes that would best be described as rage fueled homicide. He catches him, gets his shoulder under Christians arm, then completely lifts him off his feet and body slams him. All the coaches run on the field because Christian is squealing like a stuck pig. The other coach and myself agree that we should just end the game. We won, 1-0, by playing not to lose. Suck on that. As a postscript, Matthew's family moved away to Danville, Indiana, he'd be a freshman in high school by now, and is probably starring as a lineman on his football team. The kid was huge.

You just learned me. It should work in any sport if it works in five year old coed soccer.

Lewis gives no reason for optimism. We know what he gives us. That's not enough. The fans optimism every yr has bought Lewis time with contract extensions multiple times. This keeps the team spinning it's wheels. Do you never want a Super Bowl win?

Fair enough. I don't think Marvin's a SB type HC either.

So the title of your post should be: "Why do I get so optimistic about the Bengals every year?" Seeing as how you feel about Marvin Lewis, maybe you should explore that question more. What's that famous saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

So the title of your post should be: "Why do I get so optimistic about the Bengals every year?" Seeing as how you feel about Marvin Lewis, maybe you should explore that question more. What's that famous saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

I don't get optimistic, but it is baffling fans think they will do anything more than a first round playoff loss under him.

I don't get optimistic, but it is baffling fans think they will do anything more than a first round playoff loss under him.

I'm not sure, either. I guess we'll have to see what happens if they make the playoffs. There might be some people who are really upset over at the bengals.com site, but here, no so much.

You can'A argue with the facts. It is what it is. Are you issuing the franchise an ultimatum?

Facts are that Lewis is a mediocre football coach that hurts the team. How about Brown goes into his savings and hire a better coach. I would not have signed Dalton, though he seems like a nice guy.

You got two choices; Suck it up, or change teams. I don't think anyone from Mike Brown to the locker room custodian is shaking in their boots because Kodak is pissed off.

You are basically saying you are rooting for expected failure?? How's that working for you? I don't see how that's possible.

Your feelings and experiences are not universal to an entire fanbase. Some people choose to hope for the best, others expect the worst. Most of us are somewhere in the middle.

And do you know what?

That's ok.