Burfict

gregcook68

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the Bengals do in the offseason with the LB positions will tell a lot.

Not necessarily, I think they needed to upgrade the LB corps even if Burfict had been 100% all season long

I saw that as well and am glad they finally got the surgery complete. I was wondering what the hell was taking so long.

Marvin seems to think he will be ready to go at the start of the season, but i'm more inclined to believe that when I see him on the field.

Heal fast Vontaze !!!

From the dot com:

while there has been some concern he might have to start the season on the physically unable to perform list and miss the first six weeks, Lewis said the plan is he’ll be back for the season.

I think most of you guys will agree with me when I say, if there's a concern that he will have to be pup'd, there has to be at least some concern that that will translate into a slow/ineffective return (or could turn into another year on IR). That being the case I would really prefer to hear Lewis talking more about creating a plan B via depth. We need to draft another young guy with a similar aggressive style to understudy.

I was already on board with going after another LB (maybe two) via free agency and the draft WITH Burfict being 100%.

With the concern this presents (regardless of what Marvin says) I think that's a lock to happen at this point.

True. I guess Plan A is to draft that understudy. Plan B will be a veteran FA to be signed in the event that 'Tez is sent to PUP. There has to be a sense of urgency to make a splash now or there wouldn't be talk of Mikey "leading the charge" into FA. Fingers crossed.

They appear to be leaning toward playing free agency like both Burfict and Marvin Jones are out. Since that's what I've been advocating I can only applaud.

I really hope Burfict gets well but I can't say I'm optimistic. Between Lap throwing around phrases like "career-ending" and Marvin saying that Vontaze will have to work even harder than he did to get into the league to get back, it just doesn't sound promising.

They appear to be leaning toward playing free agency like both Burfict and Marvin Jones are out. Since that's what I've been advocating I can only applaud.

I really hope Burfict gets well but I can't say I'm optimistic. Between Lap throwing around phrases like "career-ending" and Marvin saying that Vontaze will have to work even harder than he did to get into the league to get back, it just doesn't sound promising.

Who's on your radar as a FA that could be an upgrade over what we already have? Brian Orakpo, Jason Worlids and Derrick Morgan fit the bill - but none of them will be available/at a price Mike will pay. Fans wouldn't be super-excited about it, but Dan Skuta looks like he could be the move here...

EDIT: based on team cap space, it looks like Worlids should at least hit FA. But, like I said before, he'll get a fat deal from the someone else while the Bengals troll the CFL for the next Rashad Jeanty.

To be honest I'm not excited about any of the LB prospects in FA. Slim pickings this year.

I always like Skuta but I think he's demonstrated with his play in SF that he's best suited for the 3-4.

The one under-the-radar guy I would kick the tires on is Sean Weatherspoon. He's had injury issues the last couple years but is a good player when healthy. I don't know if Atlanta will try to re-sign him or not. I'm not thrilled about the health issues but could be a low-cost/high reward scenario.

I'm not thrilled about the health issues but could be a low-cost/high reward scenario.

As opposed to the Antonio Bryant way of doing things huh ??

As long as they don't guarantee some massive chunk of coin (like this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5509631), it'd be worth exploring things for Weatherspoon.

WIth the inordinate number of Bengals LBs being hurt this year, that group is a real question mark. How many of those injured guys will be ready, and if ready, will they be effective?

I pleaded for a LB last year, which went ignored.

Hoping they don't make that mistake again.

Ignored?!?! They drafted future HOFer Marquis Flowers! Sheesh, some guys are never happy... :P/>/>

Funny. I just recall how they thought they were all set with a bunch of nobodies and late rounders.

Even they acknowledged in a recent article that Flowers didn't do enough in 2014.

Wow, who would have seen that coming.

It is the annual rhetoric. Man, we have found a future star! He is the next Joe Greene!

Meanwhile, guys who really are future stars, like Lawrence Timmons or AJ Hawk, go to the NFL's superior franchises.

Why we cut Ahmad Brooks... A guy that actually fell into our lap, I can't figure.

Why we cut Ahmad Brooks... A guy that actually fell into our lap, I can't figure.

Well, to be fair, we took a chance on him in the supplemental draft and alot of teams weren't willing to go there either.

He admitted himself that he didn't take that opportunity seriously, which led to his release.

He then further stated that getting cut was what led to him pulling his head out and that he was going to improve his focus.

All of that and being used in a 3-4 defense is pretty telling.

I wish he had figured it out while in stripes, but it's hard to say how that would have looked in our 4-3.

Skuta is looking pretty studly in that San Fran 3-4 as well. Justin Smith turned all world when he went there to boot.

Details on Burfict's micro fracture surgery.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000463388/article/bengals-vontaze-burfict-had-microfracture-surgery

Doc is optimistic but it's still a roll of the dice.

I like that the doc is optimistic, but the microsurgery has always been very concerning for football players.

While i'm hopeful, I won't be surprised when he's not on the field to start the season.

to be honest, I'm more concerned about his brain than his knee. his knee will heal up just fine. His head however is far more fragile and delicate to heal and recover (if at all). A player with a chronic history of concussions is dicey, especially for a guy who dishes out hits like VB.

Both the head and the knee are bad mojo, IMO. As I understand microfracture surgery, once it gets done it will probably have to be repeated every couple of years. So to the chronic concussion issue you can now add a chronic knee issue.

If I had to bet, I would bet against us getting back the player he was. Which is a damned shame.

• 1 month later...

Little bit of a non-update update on Burfict.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/16365/bengals-vontaze-burfict-microfracture-surgery-rehab-unique-juggling-act

Given that the Bengals are usually eager to tout good rehab news at this time of year (so-and-so is "ahead of schedule," etc.) this only increases my fears that we may never see the guy on the field again. Or if we do, he'll be a shadow of his former self.

Little bit of a non-update update on Burfict.

http://espn.go.com/b...ue-juggling-act

Given that the Bengals are usually eager to tout good rehab news at this time of year (so-and-so is "ahead of schedule," etc.) this only increases my fears that we may never see the guy on the field again. Or if we do, he'll be a shadow of his former self.

Perhaps it's just too early to tell?? (I know nothing of the procedure or recovery regime in such instances)

IF it was bad news then the Bengals would be very well aware of it and would have pursued LB more fervently in Free Agency (other than AJ Hawk) ??

I guess only time will tell but an indication will be what happens in the rest of FA and the importance of the pick up of a LB in the draft. Although Marvin has said he hopes no draftee has to make an impact this year .... perhaps that's a positive indication of Burficts recovery or perhaps Marv will have to eat his words.

??????