Burfict

gregcook68

I am the first one to say that this concussion thing needs to be handled very carefully!

This kid has too much ahead of him to put his career in jeopardy.

At the same time, I believe out of all the teams in the NFL currently, there is no one player on defense, that has the impact Burfict has while he is on the field, and who is missed as much as when he is off.

Marvin himself said it, that if Burfict stays healthy and out of trouble, he feels like he could be better than Ray Lewis was! No one should know that better than Marvin.

How many believe that Lewis had that same impact for the Ravens when he was on and off the field?

Burfict not only has his abilities but his leadership and knowledge of the defensive situations!

He inspires others to play better.

So much of this game is mental.

Why do you think the Pats played like they did last night?

They were inspired by Brady's leadership and his skills. I believe that it even affected the defensive play last night as well.

Burfict has that kind of affect on both sides of the ball with the Bengals.

Just watched the radio analysts tape with Hoard and Lap. Lap said Bengals defense was chirping early at one another in the game and that is not like them and needs to be nipped in the bud. That frustration needs to be directed at the other team's offense, not at each other.

From the little bit I have heard from Burfict, mostly from the coaches talking about him, I don't think that happens with Burfict out there because he would be on them about it and getting them to focus it on the offense instead of each other.

Let's hope he recovers quickly and fully, so we can get him back out there!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good news today:

@pauldehnerjr: Burfict is cleared to speak with media, which is a hurdle in concussion protocol. Still has medical hurdles to pass.

@GeoffHobsonCin: word on Tez is close to working when Bengals return to practice Wednesday afternoon

Yea that bothers me also, no way should this defense look that bad after losing one guy. I get that he is a big part if not the best player on this team, but to fall apart like that is not right.

Burfict missed time last year, missed time this year and they never looked that bad. This team has huge holes in the defense with or without Burfict. To be giving up over 5 ypc is horrible, and if the other team has the lead and wants to run the ball they can.

There is no pass rush this year if its not Dunlap then it's nobody. Geno is still not right, guys are not winning there one on one battles, getting pushed around, and the worst thing is guys are out of position not playing there gaps good at all.

If Burfict comes back and the defense turns it around great, but the other night from what I saw it is a defense with a lot of holes in it, that Paul's game plans better cover up.

Was it the loss of Burfict ?? Paul's gameplan ?? Or maybe the Patriots offensive gameplan ??

For anyone to simply think this is Burfict's absence is a bit shortshighted in my opinion.

They didn't fall apart on the defensive side of the ball after he left the Falcons game.

That would be more of an indication of the play calling on both the Bengals and Falcons in that game.

I think the Patriots just had a better game plan for what they wanted to force and the Bengals were never able to adjust.

No one could cover a TE, there was no pass rush, they couldn't stop the run, and they seemed to forget what "tackle" meant.

Burfict being out of the lineup simply can't account for all of that. Maybe part, but hardly the answer to all the crap we saw.

Was it the loss of Burfict ?? Paul's gameplan ?? Or maybe the Patriots offensive gameplan ??

For anyone to simply think this is Burfict's absence is a bit shortshighted in my opinion.

They didn't fall apart on the defensive side of the ball after he left the Falcons game.

That would be more of an indication of the play calling on both the Bengals and Falcons in that game.

I think the Patriots just had a better game plan for what they wanted to force and the Bengals were never able to adjust.

No one could cover a TE, there was no pass rush, they couldn't stop the run, and they seemed to forget what "tackle" meant.

Burfict being out of the lineup simply can't account for all of that. Maybe part, but hardly the answer to all the crap we saw.

I was listening to Lap last night and he said it was a combination of a few things. They've come to rely on Burfict making the adjustments and when he didn't play that fell to someone else. They were slow to get the plays in and guys in position and the Pats were taking advantage of it. How many times did they snap the ball before we were even set? Hard to cover or tackle someone when they are already by you.

The other issue was that they specifically targeted Lamur who is still learning on the job. Without VB for support, they took advantage of his inexperience.

I hope it is a learning lesson for PG and the rest of the D.

Obviously, having Burfict out hurts a lot, esp in the run game. However, another injured player whose absence has been felt (but not discussed much) is Brandon Thompson. He did yeomen's work in Geno's absence last season and, if healthy, would surely be an asset now as a rotational lineman as Geno works his way back up to speed. Any word on when he is supposed to be back??

I was listening to Lap last night and he said it was a combination of a few things. They've come to rely on Burfict making the adjustments and when he didn't play that fell to someone else. They were slow to get the plays in and guys in position and the Pats were taking advantage of it. How many times did they snap the ball before we were even set? Hard to cover or tackle someone when they are already by you.

The other issue was that they specifically targeted Lamur who is still learning on the job. Without VB for support, they took advantage of his inexperience.

Why was Vinny Rey not the guy making adjustments? This not the first time they didnt have Butfict on the field, last year he missed some time during games as well. So who took over calling the defense last year?

I believe that any of the other 30 teams would have been manhandled by the Pats Sunday night.

Malaluga is the logical choice for the green helmet, based on veteran status, since he's been there the longest, but obviously they don't trust him for that role.

I think Burfict does for the Bengals what Tom Brady did for the Pats Sunday night.

They lose more than just his skill, but also his knowledge and instinct for the game.

Guenther and Marvin say that his instinct cannot be taught. It's a gift, both coaches say, that few have.

I saw Brady positively influence his defense Sunday night. The defense fed off of him, and I think our offense feeds off Burfict in a very similar way.

Why was Vinny Rey not the guy making adjustments? This not the first time they didnt have Butfict on the field, last year he missed some time during games as well. So who took over calling the defense last year?

I think they mentioned that VR was the guy making the calls but part of the problem was it was taking too long to get the calls in from the sideline. The Pats were going on a quick count once they figured out we were slow to get ready.

I'm not sure why this game was any different than last year or the week before but they seemed extremely slow or confused at times. I hope that Paul G. didn't get too caught up in playing Brady and tried to over-think the defense for that game.

The good thing is that we play all of the heavy hitters in the AFC this year with the exception of SD and we know them well. This should go down as a big learning experience for all and I would hope it would motivate everyone to not get embarrassed like that again. I am not sure if this team or staff has that in their DNA but not only was it a loss but it should be taken personal for the rest of the season.

The same can be said when Burfict went out of the Falcons game. Getting guys set fell on Lamur and you had Matt Ryan on the other side of the ball.

What happened there ?? The Bengals blitzed the hell out of Ryan and made him uncomfortable all game long. That wasn't the absence of Burfict or having Lamur or lastnameRey getting guys set. It was the gameplan implemented by Guenther.

Did they see something different from the Pats that made him think of changing that philosophy ?? Who among ANY football fan thinks their team has a better than average chance of winning in Foxborough when Brady has all day long to sit in the pocket with little to no pass rush on him ?? I would look there before I simply pin everything on missing Burfict.

Look the Pats were going full on Oregon the other night on top of that the helmet transceivers were not working for at least part of the game (funny how that keeps happening in Gillette but I digress). Without Burfict, whose knowledge of the defense is almost instinctual, the Bengals had trouble communicating. The thing is there maybe 3 or 4 QBS in the NFL capable of playing that style of offense and if you don't pull it off you will lose by 50. I don't think we have to worry about this until New Orleans and Denver and by then the issue will probably be resolved.

Look the Pats were going full on Oregon the other night on top of that the helmet transceivers were not working for at least part of the game (funny how that keeps happening in Gillette but I digress). Without Burfict, whose knowledge of the defense is almost instinctual, the Bengals had trouble communicating. The thing is there maybe 3 or 4 QBS in the NFL capable of playing that style of offense and if you don't pull it off you will lose by 50. I don't think we have to worry about this until New Orleans and Denver and by then the issue will probably be resolved.

I was wondering about the transceivers -- I noticed VR banging on the side of his helmet as he ran to the sidelines during a timeout but never heard anything after the game about it. Where did you hear this?

I honestly can't remember where I read it but one Bengals coach (I believe it was Marvin Lewis) said that Lamur's helmet transceiver was not working for a 5 play period during one of the critical first quarter drives.

That happens far too often to teams when playing the Pats at home. Of course St. Roger couldn't be bothered look into it.

Burfict isn't going anywhere, nor do I want him to.

I want him to be the smart player he is capable of being.

Take the fine for the stupid decisions and clean that sh*t up.

We have enough stupid at the moment.

I don't want him going anywhere either but fines are one thing, suspensions are a different horse.

I was also disapppinted at Marvin's response. The no comention was fine but adding the WWF comments and the laugh, not come across in his favor to me.