Panthers @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I sure am glad my son had his birthday party on Sunday !!!

I did however go back and watch it on DVR. Scanning through the crap made it much more tolerable.

1. I hated seeing those INT's by Dalton, but he's obviously not the biggest problem with this team. (33/43 for 323 and 2 TD's)

2. Bernard is a tough little son of a gun coming back into the game when it looked like he might be done.

3. I think I mentioned something pre-game about them having a tough time if Newton was able to run. Hate being right.

4. Nugget should be canned and Quinn Sharp should be brought in. I don't care about if he's a good guy, I care about hitting an OT chip for the win.

5. This defense needs Geno to get better sooner rather than later. I know he's coming along, but his pre-injury self needs to report ASAP.

6. Peko? Gilberry? Hunt? Whomever in the front 7? Yeah, see point #5. Geno makes all of those guys better when he's 100%.

7. Injuries suck.

8. Seeing this offense put up those numbers against the Panthers was pretty impressive considering our losses with players out.

9. Burfict was back and still wasn't the answer. Wasn't that a debate last week? I don't think those call sucked. He needs to be smarter.

10. Expecting a loss next week, but they need to focus on the next 3 game stretch after the Colts that includes the Ravens, Jaguars, and Browns.

I wouldn't complain about 6-2-1 after the Browns game.

1st INT his arm was clearly hit as he released it. Otherwise he has Sanz for a TD.

This is true. But given that protection broke down immediately I think you can make the argument that it's just one of those times you tuck the ball away and take the sack. But in any event Army's point holds, Dalton wasn't the issue Sunday. the defense was.

Oh yeah, in the draft thread we've been mentioning a LB in the first couple rounds.

I think that is a lock at this point and they probably need to hit that spot a couple of times.

I'm curious to see what they will get out of Fortt with the injuries, he should come into play with DiManche and/or Schaffer.

Oh yeah, in the draft thread we've been mentioning a LB in the first couple rounds.

I think that is a lock at this point and they probably need to hit that spot a couple of times.

I'm curious to see what they will get out of Fortt with the injuries, he should come into play with DiManche and/or Schaffer.

I hate to see Maulaluga go down. At the same time, I don't think they're missing much.

Looking forward to seeing what DiManche can bring. And Fortt. Schaffer is IR.

Speaking of the draft I was just looking at the last few years and it kind of sums on the problem in a nutshell. Here's where our first, second and third round picks in the last five drafts are right now:

Darqueze Dennard – stuck on teams

Tyler Eifert – out injured

Dre Kirkpatrick – stuck on teams, likely bust

Kevin Zeitler – out injured

AJ Green – stud but out injured

Jermaine Gresham – bust

Jeremy Hill – possible stud but can’t get many snaps

Gio Bernard – stud

Margus Hunt – inc. but so far bust

Devon Still – bust

Andy Dalton – stud

Carlos Dunlap – stud

Will Clarke – usually inactive

Shawn Williams – bust

Mo Sanu – stud

Brandon Thompson – out injured

Dontay Moch – bust

Totals:

Bust/inactive/hurt: 10

Struggling for PT: 3

Stud playing: 4

The first round really jumps out at you. five years, six picks and right now not one single solid contributor. This isn't to knock the team's drafts, a lot of this is due to injury, but it just emphasizes how much raw talent is on the sideline.

Notice what you don't see over the last 3 draft in any of the first three rounds ?? A true linebacker.

I say "true" linebacker because Moch was a DE in college and was moved to LB. Didn't we know how that story was going to end ??

Anyway, they need to address LB early next year.

In regards to the game and just so we don't turn this into a "draft thread" (sorry for the departure), they clearly need to play more disciplined football on the defensive side of things. Adam Jones eluded to it, but when I watched the game (after knowing the outcome) the defense just seemed to constantly be in the wrong place, miss tackles (two games in a row now), and take absolutely sh*tastic angles when pursuing. Clean it up !!!