Marvin Knows Defense!

gregcook68

• 2 weeks later...

Yea this defense is lost, and I'm not sure how they are going to fix it. Pass rush is just not there, once was the best now they are no good. They forgot how to tackle, guys out of place, have not seen them look this bad since Zim first took over. Without a defense I'm not sure how many games they can win. Hope they figure something out.

Look, I can explain the defense's problems in four letters:

G E N O

He is the engine that makes the whole thing go. And he's getting there. He's pulling double teams regularly now. But he still needs a few weeks.

That doesn't excuse the discipline issues or the lack of contribution by some highly drafted players like Hunt and Dre. But the bottom line is this d doesn't get healthy until Geno does.

G E N O

He is the engine that makes the whole thing go. And he's getting there. He's pulling double teams regularly now. But he still needs a few weeks.

The defense was better earlier this season when Geno was even less sure of his footing, so I can't accept this alone as an explanation

But yes, right now, our defense (and our placekicker) just flat out sucks

G E N O

The defense was better earlier this season when Geno was even less sure of his footing, so I can't accept this alone as an explanation

But yes, right now, our defense (and our placekicker) just flat out sucks

D looked better early because of the competition. It's becoming obvious that Atlanta and Tennessee stink, and Baltimore helped by making a bunch of mistakes. Last couple weeks they have faced more potent teams and it shows.

No, Geno isn't the whole explanation, but I think he's the biggest missing piece. Thompson getting hurt has killed the run D and our other two DTs Still and Peko are just guys. Burfict has missed time. Hall isn't at full speed. Lamur is learning and Maualuga has regressed. A healthy Geno covers up a lot of that tho.

G E N O

That doesn't excuse the discipline issues or the lack of contribution by some highly drafted players like Hunt and Dre. But the bottom line is this d doesn't get healthy until Geno does.

In regards to Geno even last year before he got hurt he didnt seem like himself. He does get double teamed and guy used to take advantage of that, but this year I have not seen that at all.

After Geno got hurt last year, the defense didnt take a turn for the worse, not saying they got better but they did finish 5th I believe. Until the playoff game it's like they didnt miss him that much. This year is a joke, you may be right with Geno but it's not just him I think it's a lot of things, fundimentals, and nobody being where they are suppose to be. I'm not blaming it all on Paul either, but maybe it's the guys who we all thought were really good, really are not. Hopefully they figure something out, but if not I'm not so sure we will see them in the playoffs. Still a long season.

That's just a cheap shot by Florio and the Enquirer. Almost every quote you read in the papers has been airbrushed to one extent or anothr because lots of people, like Marvin, get garbled, don't finish sentences and wander a bit in extemporaneous speech. I very much doubt that Lewis believes that the media cause concussions. I suspect what he was trying to say was that because of all the media attention we've learned things we didn't know before. And that pretty much is the company line when it comes to the NFL (and yes lots of people including me think it's BS, they always knew and covered it up as long as possible).

Bottom line, Marvin isn't the greatest off-the-cuff speaker, and it's examples like this that explain why he hates the media.

Maybe, but that's a stupid comment to make. "I don't know why they linger longer".

They linger longer because of advances in medicine and the need to make things safer.

When I joined the Army as a medic in 1990, they still taught opening the airway by using the "Head tilt, NECK lift" method.

No regard to a spinal injury, just open it up and handle your business.

Today, that is method that is mentioned when trying to point out how stupid things used to be.

I don't make comments like, "I don't know why people think neck injuries are serious".

While i'm not overly concerned about where this goes, I think it was a poor choice of words.