Bengals @ Patriots Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt NE will play this poorly at home next week after getting hammered on national TV.

If the Bengals win, it will be a hard fought win. They'd better come prepared. Brady isn't the Brady of old but he'll play much better at Gillette Stadium.

Agreed. Interestingly Gruden commented on how the Pats have struggled all 4 games this year and he believes it will take awhile to fix.

BUT, at home the haven't lost to an AFC team since 2008.

I know there's only 3 of us in here now, but IF you were Lewis, how would you use this game, and the hostility and desperation they will be facing, next Sunday, to motivate? What angle would you use?

Shrug. Let them be the desperate ones. Bengals are 3-0. For the rest, see my sig. :bengal:/>

Agree with the thought of preparing for a Tom Brady that is capable of running things up.

That might not be the case for the Pats "at the moment" but they are a tough team at home period.

What they can and should take from that game is to dial up the running game.

Get both Hill and Gio involved and keep the Pats defense off balance.

Hue has done a good job of that so far this season and it would be nice to see it continue.

Yeah, it would be nice to have Eifert back, but Marvin Jones will add another piece that should prove helpful.

I don't really think this team needs some sort of huge motivational speech to make it happen.

They appear pretty self motivated and focused to this point. Just get a good game plan together and execute it.

If the Bengals can do that and don't wilt under the lights, they bring home a win.

That Pats team looks pretty under-talented all-around.

Bingo. Boston.com sports columnist Eric Wilbur lays out the case here this morning. A small taste:

Everything is an ordeal it seems, not exactly the best environment for a team working toward a common goal, but if Monday taught us anything, this team’s problems won’t be solved as easily as plugging in Bryan Stork. The offense is in shambles, the defense isn’t using its personnel properly, and, perhaps worst of all, there seems to be a bubbling sense of disenchantment with this team. Guys make plays and get up without much hoopla surrounding them. Receivers come up with a big catch and they walk back to the huddle as if it were the green mile. The quarterback looks and acts as if he’s working with 10 bumbling idiots on the field of play with every incomplete pass he piles up.

The Pats are 10+ years removed now from their heyday. They've been getting to the playoffs by feasting of a division full of crap teams, but the wheels are coming off now against quality opposition.

The Bengals might still lose, but I don't fear the Pats at all.

Tom Brady, trade bait? The Globe's Ben Volin thinks that's where this eventually goes post-2014.

Garoppolo had good numbers — 6 of 7 for 70 yards and a touchdown to Gronk — but it came in garbage time. Garoppolo is still only nine months removed from playing mid-level college football, and needs more time to marinate. Brady still gives this team the best chance to win each week.

But it’s time to start wondering if the clock is running out on Brady’s Patriots tenure a lot more quickly than we thought. He says he wants to play well into his 40s, but the way he has opened the 2014 season, the Patriots look smarter each day for drafting Garoppolo in the second round this past May.

Everything should be on the table now with Brady and the Patriots, if Belichick truly wants to do what’s best for the team, as he constantly stresses.

Brady will be 38 next Aug. 3, and his contract is insanely team-friendly — if he is on the Patriots’ roster on the final game of 2014, his salaries for 2015 ($7 million), 2016 ($8 million), and 2017 ($9 million) become fully guaranteed, but at less than half the going rate of top-tier NFL quarterbacks ($20-plus million). That’s cheap money for the Patriots, but it’s also cheap money for a team desperate for a quarterback — like, say, Houston, where the coach (Bill O’Brien) is a close ally. Or, say, Tampa Bay, where the general manager (Jason Licht) used to work for the Patriots and is close with Belichick.

Trade Brady now? Of course not. But this four-game stretch certainly has opened some eyes about Brady’s level of play.

I could see Brady to Houston. That would be scary with their D. But Brady in NE? Yeah, not so much anymore.

And a nice look at the game and implications for next weekend from Hobson. One nugget worth mentioning:

It will be recalled that when Jackson last called plays against the Patriots in 2011 as the Raiders head coach with an offense nowhere near as explosive as what the Bengals have now, Oakland had 504 yards but gave up 404 to lose by 12.

Sic 'em, Hue!

No screaming here

I just want the Bengals to take this game seriously

Its an away game

Its a nationally televised game

They will still need to play hard to win, no matter how bad the Patriots looked against the Chiefs last night

Well, you have to play hard to win every week in this league (unless of course you're playing Oakland). And gawd knows the last thing I want to see is another prime-time bed-crapping-fest by this team. The only thing more annoying than another week of "Bengals can't win the big game" stories will be the retroactive discounting of a victory as meaningless for Cincy because the Pats are so bad. It's the proverbial no-win scenario, though given the choice I'll take the latter, obviously.

I'm sure the Pats will be angry and fired-up and all that next Sunday...but you can't get blood from a stone. What I saw last night was a team that was just not very good. Heart and determination are great, but you need ability, too, and there was a distinct lack of horses out there last night. Their oline was bad, their receivers couldn't get open and even when Brady had time he was throwing high and off his back foot. Their defense got dominated at the line of scrimmage.

If the Bengals lose this game it will be because they came out of a bye flat again.

Agree with the thought of preparing for a Tom Brady that is capable of running things up.

That might not be the case for the Pats "at the moment" but they are a tough team at home period.

What they can and should take from that game is to dial up the running game.

Get both Hill and Gio involved and keep the Pats defense off balance.

Hue has done a good job of that so far this season and it would be nice to see it continue.

Yeah, it would be nice to have Eifert back, but Marvin Jones will add another piece that should prove helpful.

I don't really think this team needs some sort of huge motivational speech to make it happen.

They appear pretty self motivated and focused to this point. Just get a good game plan together and execute it.

If the Bengals can do that and don't wilt under the lights, they bring home a win.

I guess, deep down, I agree, wilting under 'away' primetime pressure is the ONLY way they lose. I don't think Pats have the horses if the Bengals play error free football with no turnovers and minimal penalties.

So, bottom line is, IF they lose like that, no, it's NOT the season, but it doesn't bode well for confidence in winning primetime playoff games if they can't win primetime seasonal games.

I'm right there with you TJ. Just f*cking win.

I don't care what that win looks like, just get it.

Seriously though, if they lose this game, it's not the end of the world.

However, if they win this game, this teams confidence is going to be ridiculous.

I want to see what this team does after going into Foxboro and taking a win home with them.

Color me excited !!

Skimming Pats fan forums today, while there's hope they can turn things around, the consensus is that last night wasn't an aberration. Rather, it was of a piece with what they had seen in the first three games. They are really down on their chances Sunday night.

Skimming Pats fan forums today, while there's hope they can turn things around, the consensus is that last night wasn't an aberration. Rather, it was of a piece with what they had seen in the first three games. They are really down on their chances Sunday night.

Sounds like the crowd will be out of it quickly if the Bengals can play well early and get out to an early lead or at least put together some lopsided time of possession.

As a side note, I'll be holding Brady in my fantasy roster for one more week. If I dropped him now, the fantasy gods would surely exact bitter revenge upon the heads of our own black and orange.

And nobody wants that.

I distinctly remember Patriots fans on forums across the Internet lamenting the coming matchup with the red hot 3-0 Bengals, anticipating a long day.

We all know how 2006 went from that game on.

I'm not projecting doom in 2014 -- just acknowledging that a precedent has been set here under very similar circumstances. Ignore the noise, Bengals.

Sounds like the crowd will be out of it quickly if the Bengals can play well early and get out to an early lead or at least put together some lopsided time of possession.

As a side note, I'll be holding Brady in my fantasy roster for one more week. If I dropped him now, the fantasy gods would surely exact bitter revenge upon the heads of our own black and orange.

And nobody wants that.

Your sacrifice is appreciated.