Bengals @ Bye Gameday Thread

HoosierCat

I know they've been playing well but I'm worried about the bye....:lol:

Consider this a thread to talk about other games and teams while we wait for the Bengals to get back on the field in 13 days.

Looks like a tough week for the rest of the AFCN injury-wise. Baltimore TE Dennis Pitta remained overnight in Cleveland with a hip injury. It's the same hip that cost him time last season. There's been some chatter it could be season or even career ending. That would be terrible, obviously. And while it's of secondary importance compared to his health, losing Pitta is a big blow to the Baltimore offense.

The Steelers lost Ike Taylor to a broken arm, Ryan Shazier to a sprained MCL (MRI today) and Jarvis Jones to a wrist injury that will require surgery according to reports this morning.

Steelers, however, get Tampa at home this week. They ought to win that even if Brett Keisel has to play QB. Meanwhile, Carolina travels to Baltimore. After their performance last night I have no faith in Cam Newton, and Steve Smith will definitely be pumped for the game, but without Pitta I don't know what offense Baltimore will be able to muster.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone recall the threads that resembled this:

"Bengals at Bye week: Bye week favored by 7" ??

Nice to see things have taken a turn for the better.

Yeah, injuries have been brutal. I know many are saying the early bye week helps us with some of our injuries and I agree, but we can only hope that they remain relatively injury free the rest of the way. Jumping up big on a team and allowing some starters to rest doesn't hurt much. They should just plan for that each week. :sure:

Anyone recall the threads that resembled this:

"Bengals at Bye week: Bye week favored by 7" ??

Of course! After all, I started enough of them! And yeah, nice to say they're in the rear-view mirror.

Early chatter today around the Pittsburgh injuries is that Taylor could be a candidate for the IR/return designation. He would still be back in time for both Cincy games. Wrist surgery for Jones would put him out "indefinitely."

Also on the "injuries involving upcoming opponents" list: the Panthers may have lost both their top RBs last night. Johnathan Stewart (knee) and Mike Tolbert (leg) are getting MRIs today. Cirrently they have an undrafted rookie, Darrin Reaves, on top of the depth chart.

Paging Mr. BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Mr. BenJarvus Green-Ellis to the white courtesy phone please...

It's funny how a handful of injuries can totally change the dynamics of the schedule.

I don't see anything in the next month that is insurmountable. With key Bengals coming back, I see the lights getting brighter on this team through the Fall.

It all depends on the depth at the position where the injury bug hits.

The Bengals have been fortunate, for the most part.

Sanu comes up big in the absence of AJ.

Pollak has played wonderfully with Zeitler out.

Lastname Rey played well and Lamur took over the headset yesterday with Burfict not going.

They don't appear concerned with how they are using the TE spot either.

Gresham was targeted once in yesterdays game. When Eifert comes back, it should be interesting.

Just like getting Jones back in New England. Just another wrinkle to account for.

With Eifert out they have really focused on Gio in the passing game. Bernard has been targeted 19 times, more than any other player, even AJ (18) and Sanu (17). Yardage-wise he is their third-leading receiver, but in total yards from scrimmage it's not even close. Gio is at 333, the next-closest is Green at 238.

With 102 total team rushing attempts to 88 passing attempts, it's fair to say that not only are the Bengals running a run-first offense, but that sophomore RB Gio Bernard is in the driver's seat.

I know they've been playing well but I'm worried about the bye....:lol:/>/>/>

Consider this a thread to talk about other games and teams while we wait for the Bengals to get back on the field in 13 days.

Looks like a tough week for the rest of the AFCN injury-wise. Baltimore TE Dennis Pitta remained overnight in Cleveland with a hip injury. It's the same hip that cost him time last season. There's been some chatter it could be season or even career ending. That would be terrible, obviously. And while it's of secondary importance compared to his health, losing Pitta is a big blow to the Baltimore offense.

The Steelers lost Ike Taylor to a broken arm, Ryan Shazier to a sprained MCL (MRI today) and Jarvis Jones to a wrist injury that will require surgery according to reports this morning.

Steelers, however, get Tampa at home this week. They ought to win that even if Brett Keisel has to play QB. Meanwhile, Carolina travels to Baltimore. After their performance last night I have no faith in Cam Newton, and Steve Smith will definitely be pumped for the game, but without Pitta I don't know what offense Baltimore will be able to muster.

I think all 3 division teams will be big games this year. Didn't the Bengals sweep the division in either '05 or'09? I think this team, overall, is better than either of those 2 teams.

It's easy to get stuck in that mentality that they can't beat Pitt and Baltimore, simply because of the past. Just like the past as far as prime time games go. I tried to Google but was unsuccessful, but I have to believe the Bengals record for 'away' prime time games is horrific!

IF the Bengals can go to Foxboro, and win, I think they will make many statements that night.

1. They win an away prime time game against one of the greatest QBs and coaches of the 21st century.

2. They show Pitt, Baltimore, AND Cleveland that they are for real

3. It would just increase their confidence level even more so.

Not sure how many of you saw this, but the confidence level seems to be on the rise:

Sound FX: Bengals Offense Explodes

If the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns don't know the Bengals are legit, then something is wrong.

It's always a tough division and if Hoyer continues to play as he has, Cleveland will continue to surprise some teams.

I hope the Bengals aren't one of them, but it's always a tough game.

Winning a prime time game on the road against the Pats would be huge on many levels for this team.

I'm thinking they get it done.

It's easy to get stuck in that mentality that they can't beat Pitt and Baltimore, simply because of the past. Just like the past as far as prime time games go. I tried to Google but was unsuccessful, but I have to believe the Bengals record for 'away' prime time games is horrific!

The Finders under the play index menu at profootball-reference.com are useful for this sort of thing. The Bengals have played 37 Sunday night, Monday Night and Thursday night road games. They've won 7.

Ouch. But the numbers are a bit skewed by opponent. More than a quarter of those games (10) have been against Pittsburgh. They are 2-8 in those. Their next most-common opponent has been Miami, against whom they are 0-5. So they look a little (emphasis on little) better at 5-17 versus teams not named Steelers or Dolphins.

In the Lewis era, they are 1-10 in these games. In those games they have only scored more than 20 points once, and only reached 20 three other times. They've given up 30 or more points four times.

Interestingly, they have never played a prime time game in Foxboro before. This game is a first for that. They have met the Patriots once in prime time at PBS, a 2007 game on MNF. That ended badly. Tom Brady shredded the secondary for 231 yards and 3 TDs, while world-beating RB Sammy Morris gained 117 of his season-total 384 yards on 21 carries. Meanwhile, Carson Palmer did his usual choke job, throwing 2 picks to just one TD. Kenny Watson actually had a decent average, getting 55 yards on 13 carries, but Bombs-Away-Bratkowski quickly abandoned the run as Cincy fell behind. But they did provide entertainment, for example Carson screaming at Chad on the sideline, and Marvin screaming at the whole team after the game.

"If you don't want to be on this team, please don't show up!" Lewis said, yelling so loud that reporters outside could hear. "You don't call the offense, you don't call the plays. You just play. "Nowhere in the NFL do guys act like this. We've got to figure this out.

Video here: http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Patriots-at-Bengals-Game-Highlights/72B3EC50-0747-466B-9EC7-2C5BBA422316

Hopefully things turn out better this time.

They have met the Patriots once in prime time at PBS, a 2007 game on MNF.

I was at that game. I was home on midtour leave from Afghanistan and my wife bought us tickets and surprised me.

Lower level, Bengals sideline about the 30 yard line towards the tunnel.

Why does that matter? Because you could hear the players all jawing at each other from where I sat.

It was one of those games where you couldn't do anything but shake your head.

Yeah, i'm hoping things take an upward turn with Bengals primetime games this go round !!!

Here's the link for the sound fix for the Atlanta game. I just realized the link I posted before doesn't work. Matt Ryan and TJ Yates show a lot of class at the end.

/>http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap3000000397310/Sound-FX-Bengals-offense-explodes

Nice video.

I loved when Whit came over to talk about the play and Dalton says:

"HEY, HEY, HEY, touchdown"

Is it just me or does Dalton sound like a little kid out there ??

In actual team news, the Bengals had a final light practice today before breaking for the bye week. Marvin Jones, Sean Porter and Rex Burkhead were all back on the field practicing. Burfict was out helping with the LB group but didn't practice; Hobs says he is in the final stages of getting cleared under the concussion protocol.

Here's the link for the sound fix for the Atlanta game. I just realized the link I posted before doesn't work. Matt Ryan and TJ Yates show a lot of class at the end.

/>http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap3000000397310/Sound-FX-Bengals-offense-explodes

Nice video.

He does. I was thinking the same thing.

But, man, his confidence has gone waaay up, it seems.

Nice video.

He does. I was thinking the same thing.

I agree, or as Dalton would say, "YES SIRRRR !!!"

The way the line is playing, he should be. He's the least-pressured QB in the league. The last time Cincy had a line playing at this level was 2005, when Palmer was sacked just 19 times in 16 games. Carson has a career-high 101.1 QB rating, as well as career highs for completion percentage (67.8%) and TDs (32).

He's clearly having fun.

(Oh, and the next video of Jay in DC is pretty good too.)

Although part of my brain was unhappy that I went to a game and one of my favorite players - Burfict - did not play, a much larger part of my un-concussed brain was very happy he didnt, even before I knew the outcome of the game

Tez: rest up, and also please think about changing to one of those bigger, better padded helmets. we need you healthy.