Any concerns so far?

Stripes

The Bengals have looked great through two weeks and I couldn't be more pleased. So don't assume this thread is intended as a rain upon our collective parade. We all know though that things haven't been absolutely perfect, beyond the obvious injury issues the team has dealt with. What areas do you think are most pressing with regards to hasty improvement if this team is to progress into a contender for a deep playoff run? That's the goal after all. I'll list a few in order of importance:

1. Convert on scoring opportunities.

This one is pretty clear I think, just as the injuries are. The Bengals have been a field goal attempt machine through two weeks, combining for 9 tries in two first halves. That would be peachy if those kicks were sprinkled amongst touchdowns, but they have been the primary source of points. This must change soon. Not only will field goals lose the Bengals a game against another contending team, they will eventually cost them a game against a clearly inferior opponent. It's a matter of time until this problem burns the Bengals if it doesn't change.

2. Stop the run when change of pace backs take the field.

The Bengals have more or less smothered Bernard Pierce and Steven Jackson so far, before becoming much less effective against their change of pace counterparts Justin Forsett and Jacquizz Rodgers. One can definitely suggest that this should be attributed to the inconsistent presence of Vontaze Burfict, and there is truth to that. I'm not convinced that tells the entire story though and I want to see improvement.

3. Generate pressure with the front four.

They've not been terrible in this regard by any means, but I do think there is room for improvement. Guenther has been a blitzing madman so far, which is a lot of fun. I fear this strategy won't be consistent long-term though, especially as teams continue to accumulate tape. Eventually he is going to have to reel it back at least a little bit, and the defensive line is going to need to be up to the task. Dunlap certainly was against Atlanta. Hopefully Geno continues to progress and drives this point home with clarity. Any added production from Gilberry and Hunt is just a bonus for me at this point.

The Bengals have looked great through two weeks and I couldn't be more pleased. So don't assume this thread is intended as a rain upon our collective parade. We all know though that things haven't been absolutely perfect, beyond the obvious injury issues the team has dealt with. What areas do you think are most pressing with regards to hasty improvement if this team is to progress into a contender for a deep playoff run? That's the goal after all. I'll list a few in order of importance:

1. Convert on scoring opportunities.

This one is pretty clear I think, just as the injuries are. The Bengals have been a field goal attempt machine through two weeks, combining for 9 tries in two first halves. That would be peachy if those kicks were sprinkled amongst touchdowns, but they have been the primary source of points. This must change soon. Not only will field goals lose the Bengals a game against another contending team, they will eventually cost them a game against a clearly inferior opponent eventually. It's a matter of time until this problem burns the Bengals if it doesn't change.

2. Stop the run when change of pace backs take the field.

The Bengals have more or less smothered Bernard Pierce and Steven Jackson so far, before becoming much less effective against their change of pace counterparts Justin Forsett and Jacquizz Rodgers. One can definitely suggest that this should be attributed to the inconsistent presence of Vontaze Burfict, and there is truth to that. I'm not convinced that tells the entire story though and I want to see improvement.

3. Generate pressure with the front four.

They've not been terrible in this regard by any means, but I do think there is room for improvement. Guenther has been a blitzing madman so far, which is a lot of fun. I fear this strategy won't be consistent long-term though, especially as teams continue to accumulate tape. Eventually he is going to have to reel it back at least a little bit, and the defensive line is going to need to be up to the task. Dunlap certainly was against Atlanta. Hopefully Geno continues to progress and drives this point home with clarity. Any added production from Gilberry and Hunt is just a bonus for me at this point.

My only concern ARE the injuries! Being a casual fan, and the fact that I can't do anything about injuries, or about what is posted above, it's next man up, and I'll be there on Sunday with my Bengals shirt, and the NFL Ticket, rooting for whoever takes the field in black and orange!

Depth is probably my biggest concern. The Bengals are digging into the reserves early this year.

Hopefully Nugent just had a bad day Sunday and this isn't the start of a cold snap.

More TDs would be nice but as long as the D is playing this well we can afford FGs.

Really I'm very pleased so far.

More TDs would be nice but as long as the D is playing this well we can afford FGs.

For now. But, there are sure to be games where the offense will need to give the D a bit of a cushion.

Also, as nice as it has been, they are going to start committing turnovers at some point, which will put more pressure on the D. At some point, Andy is going to have to change form "game manager" to "gunslinger".

Hopefully they'll be up to the task when those times come.

I don't really have much to add.

Converting redzone opportunities into TD's instead of FG's is something I want to see improved.

I don't know if it's playcalling, execution, a little of both, or something else.

I just know it sucks seeing your team get that close this many times and come up short more often than not.

The Ravens game could have been an absolute blow out.

I expect things to continue to get better with this as the season goes though.

Outside of that, the injuries are my single biggest concern.

Converting redzone opportunities into TD's instead of FG's is something I want to see improved.

I don't know if it's playcalling, execution, a little of both, or something else.

I just know it sucks seeing your team get that close this many times and come up short more often than not.

If there is anything to the lack of red zone trips being converted to TDs other than simply being an anomaly, I feel it pretty much has to be execution of a new scheme. The Bengals were top-notch in the redzone last year. I believe we were second in the league after the Pats as far as conversion rate. It's not like the personnel are radically different. I'm willing to bet it was just poor execution of the plays and it will get better with practice.

If there is anything to the lack of red zone trips being converted to TDs other than simply being an anomaly, I feel it pretty much has to be execution of a new scheme. The Bengals were top-notch in the redzone last year. I believe we were second in the league after the Pats as far as conversion rate. It's not like the personnel are radically different. I'm willing to bet it was just poor execution of the plays and it will get better with practice.

Possibly.

Missing Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert, and AJ Green can't be helping, though...

Possibly.

Missing Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert, and AJ Green can't be helping, though...

It'd be silly of my to ignore that as well of course, but we did have Green for the Raven's game and that was the field-goal fest. Eifert only accounted for 2 TDs last year so I don't think we can attribute the poor conversion rate to his loss (though, again, it'd be foolish to say losing him has no impact). If any injury thus far helps explain the drop off it'd be Marvin Jones I assume. I know he accounted for 10 TDs last year but I don't know how many were redzone TDs. In any case, better execution of the redzone offense is going to play a major role in conversion no matter who the personnel group is, but that's a tautology anyway.