Andy Dalton....the Rodney Dangerfield of NFL???

gregcook68

Yeah, Mariucci said it before the game. The NFL Network panel was posed with a series of pointless questions to fill air space including "Will Andy Dalton throw more than 1 TD against the Ravens today?".

Mooch responded accordingly, saying he figured Dalton would throw more than one (which turned out false, but clearly Andy played well).

Dalton is absolutely a flawed player, and I have had moments of intense frustration with him. I still cannot shake the pick he threw to Melvin Ingram in the most recent playoff game. It's burned into my memory so cruelly. I understand though that this is an emotional response from me more than a fair one. The media seems to treat Andy Dalton like he was the #1 overall pick of the 2011 draft. Every misstep is assessed thoroughly, and every success is attributed to A.J. Green (or absurdly to Jay Gruden). He is the Tony Romo of the AFC now, and that's our frustration to bear. He is better than anyone gives him credit for outside this fan base, but that doesn't matter. We see him play every week and they don't. Period.

Speaking of the #1 overall pick in that draft.

How's he doing in comparison ??

F*ck Cam Newton.

Nothing like sitting on the bench hurt while Derek freaking Anderson leads your team to victory. :lmao:

Places I'd love to be a fly on the wall today? How about the Kansas City front office? Alex "$68 million extension" Smith's stats from yesterday's humiliating loss to Tennessee: 19/35 (54%), 202 yards, 1 TD, 3 picks, QB rating of 45.2.

Despite my snarky comment in the gameday thread, I am not seeing much, if any, complaints about Andy's play Sunday in the media or among fans online. Even his harshest critics seem reasonably happy with (or at least tolerant of) his performance. Now, I'm sure he will have bad games in the future and will be roundly criticized, but I'm not getting the impression that there's some big group of fans for whom no performance is good enough.

My own impression of Dalton yesterday was mixed. On the plus side, he generally made good decisions, protected the ball well and didn't wither under pressure. These are all areas everyone wanted to see him improve on over last season.

On the down side, Dalton managed a very conservative passing game yesterday. Set aside the big 77-yard bomb to AJ and Andy passed for a mere 5.8 yards per attempt and 8.9 yards per completion. In the gameday thread I called this the Extreme Dink 'n' Dunk game plan. Somewhere, Neil O'Donnell was watching and smiling. There may have been reasons for this, such as the run game sputtering and the loss of Eifert, but he is going to have to take some shots downfield (some of which will inevitably be picked off). The offense also needs to find a way to score TDs, not FGs, though that's on more than just Dalton.

Overall, I'd probably give Andy a B+ for yesterday. He wasn't spectacular but considering the venue, the opponent and the plusses outweighing the minuses, he did just fine.

One thing I noticec is Hue has him getting the ball out very fast. It's great on one hand, but not sure if he is seeing the whole field, as he missed some wide open guys that he didn't see. I figure it's his first time running this new offense so let's see how it goes moving forward

Yeah, I was reading some comments from Ravens players today and they credited Hue's quick-throw plan with defeating their idea of coming hard after Andy. But you're right, in that case you're going to miss some opportunities.

One thing I noticec is Hue has him getting the ball out very fast. It's great on one hand, but not sure if he is seeing the whole field, as he missed some wide open guys that he didn't see. I figure it's his first time running this new offense so let's see how it goes moving forward

Yeah, I was reading some comments from Ravens players today and they credited Hue's quick-throw plan with defeating their idea of coming hard after Andy. But you're right, in that case you're going to miss some opportunities.

I am perfectly happy with Dalton missing some open guys if he's going to throw for 300 yards, 1 TD (2 if Gresham finishes his route), and 0 INT on the road against a division foe.

I'll take that any day.

They've just got to be better in the redzone, and they will be.

An effective running game wouldn't hurt, either.

I think that's the big thing, if they can get a running going it will open so much more. With Dalton's quick throws, if they can get a running game the play action will be huge.

I thought for sure we would see more runs yesterday, unless he is counting the screens as runs? That's another thing I thought they did well with, the screen pass, and the blocking down field on them.

Hue has them getting to the line real quick to give them an opportunity to see what the defense is giving them and make the plan to where to go with the ball quickly. That is certainly going to result in missed opportunities, but like Skyline, I can't say as that is bothersome to me. Not finishing in the redzone and run blocking rank as higher concerns at this point.

They knew the Ravens were going to be coming after Andy and Hue designed things very well.

Imagine has they converted even a single TD in those opportunities.

The game wouldn't have been close. 2 ?? Blowout.

I don't watch pregame and pundits,for obvious reasons, but my son told me someone said Dalton is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL.

I think that's pretty appropriate. If the Bengals ever DO win the SB, the media would write him off as the latest Jim McMahon/Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson clone.

I'd say the Bengals' defense, AJ Green and Mike Nugent get less and deserve more respect than Howdy Doody and his top 5 DEF and WR who make him look good (until he's exposed in the playoffs and plays terribly every time).

He wasn't very good Sunday, but he wasn't bad enough to lose the game (by not turning it over) thank God.

Joe Flacco and Trent Dilfer have rings. I don't see TMZ following them around either.

I don't watch pregame and pundits,for obvious reasons, but my son told me someone said Dalton is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL.

I think that's pretty appropriate. If the Bengals ever DO win the SB, the media would write him off as the latest Jim McMahon/Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson clone.

I'd say the Bengals' defense, AJ Green and Mike Nugent get less and deserve more respect than Howdy Doody and his top 5 DEF and WR who make him look good (until he's exposed in the playoffs and plays terribly every time).

He wasn't very good Sunday, but he wasn't bad enough to lose the game (by not turning it over) thank God.

Joe Flacco and Trent Dilfer have rings. I don't see TMZ following them around either.

You are one of those who will claims he wins in spite of himself that I described above! You are rooting for expected failure?? How is that working for you?? I'll never understand how anyone can claim to be a fan and expect failure and almost be giddy that one or more members of 'their' team fail, even to the point of giving him derogatory nick names!

Johnny Football could use some support!

Trent Dilfer doesn't play anymore, last time I checked, and Flacco gets tons of respect, even though he isn't any better a QB than Dalton.

He had a beastly defense and a coach that is 'win at any cost', as exampled by waiting until he was forced to release Rice, and he intimidates the referees with his sideline antics!

I'm quite comfortable with the Bengals brotherhood. It's nice to be able to have a team to root for now, that is capable of winning each and every Sunday. If it comes to 'win at any cost' like Harbaugh, Tomlin, and Ryan, for the Bengals, I'll switch back to Dish Network and retire as a casual fan.

If Dalton had made that bonehead play that Flacco made before the half, this forum, lead by Couch Coach Steakhouse, would have come unglued and the media would have had a field day with Dalton!

Sit back and enjoy the ride and stop picking everything apart for crying out loud!

You are one of those who will claims he wins in spite of himself that I described above! You are rooting for expected failure?? How is that working for you?? I'll never understand how anyone can claim to be a fan and expect failure and almost be giddy that one or more members of 'their' team fail, even to the point of giving him derogatory nick names!

Johnny Football could use some support!

Trent Dilfer doesn't play anymore, last time I checked, and Flacco gets tons of respect, even though he isn't any better a QB than Dalton.

He had a beastly defense and a coach that is 'win at any cost', as exampled by waiting until he was forced to release Rice, and he intimidates the referees with his sideline antics!

I'm quite comfortable with the Bengals brotherhood. It's nice to be able to have a team to root for now, that is capable of winning each and every Sunday. If it comes to 'win at any cost' like Harbaugh, Tomlin, and Ryan, for the Bengals, I'll switch back to Dish Network and retire as a casual fan.

If Dalton had made that bonehead play that Flacco made before the half, this forum, lead by Couch Coach Steakhouse, would have come unglued and the media would have had a field day with Dalton!

Sit back and enjoy the ride and stop picking everything apart for crying out loud!

That's just Shula for ya. You get used to it after awhile, he's been around for quite sometime. Don't worry though in his heart he means well lol, and sometimes he has some good reads, you just take the bad with the good.