Falcons @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

Bengals open as a 5.5 point favorite, which seems about right. Atlanta stunning the Saints in week 1 suggests they will be a tougher opponent than many (including me) thought. I had this penciled in as a W but I'm not anywhere as sure about that now. Hopefully we get Burfict back.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need a better pash rush that's for sure, if there is no pass rush it will be a long day, and I'm not sure blitzing will work. They have a much better offense then the ravens lol.

Yep they need to run the ball big in this game and control the clock as much as they can. Long drives will really help them out in this game.

Yup, they should give the Falcons a heavy dose of Gio and Hill next Sunday. Atlanta couldn't stop the run last year and it doesn't look like that's changed this season. NO averaged just a skosh under 5 yards a carry yesterday, and they had one of the league's worst rushing attacks last year (after all, who needs to run the ball when your QB is Drew Brees?).

Ryan will definitely test the secondary. Hopefully we get Dennard back.

Yup, they should give the Falcons a heavy dose of Gio and Hill next Sunday. Atlanta couldn't stop the run last year and it doesn't look like that's changed this season. NO averaged just a skosh under 5 yards a carry yesterday, and they had one of the league's worst rushing attacks last year (after all, who needs to run the ball when your QB is Drew Brees?).

Dennard back would be nice.

I'f feel more confident about our Os ability to keep up if Jones and Eifert were healthy. I think our offense has the potential to be fairly unstoppable when working at full force. Too many components to keep track of and if Andy really has taken a step forward...

I actually like this matchup. I expect a letdown out of Atlanta following their big win. Even though the Bengals are also coming off a big win, I expect that they'll feel backs-against-the-wall with Burfict unavailable to combat Atlanta's explosiveness, plus the offense can't be that happy with inability to run and to score TDs. I'm expecting another strong Bengals effort.

I think the Bengals are rightly favored. Even without Burfict we'd have a significant advantage defensively (I don't think we're as bad as we appeared in the second half yesterday). Rey has always been a valuable asset when we've needed him to start. I expect Burfict to play either way.

The Falcons have plenty of offensive talent, but a shootout with the Saints is the polar opposite of AFC North football. At home, I like the Bengals' chances of playing their way and dictating the game. The offensive line needs to come up big against a weak Atlanta front. Matt Ryan is capable, but 445 yards is an aberration for any quarterback. Honestly I've always viewed Ryan as Joe Flacco with better receivers in an offensive minded organization.

Here's a hopeful blurb from National Football Posts's MMMD column (written by an actual doctor):

MMMD 4: Horrific injury of the week: Tyler Eifert dislocates right elbow

The Cincinnati tight end suffered a gruesome non-contact injury seen here while bracing himself for a fall after making a catch. By real time video analysis, it was a classic posterior elbow dislocation due to hyperextension. An associated fracture is possible, but unlikely. Even though team physicians would have quickly reduced the elbow, the damage is done with ligament, capsule and muscle tears.

Thankfully, surgery is not typically necessary, nor is a cast. Return to play depends on swelling and stability. Eifert will miss several weeks but hopefully he can return in four weeks and play with a brace. I doubt there is a need for injured reserve as some members of the media have speculated.

/>http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Monday-Morning-MD-2898.html

So far the early bye is looking more and more like a blessing in disguise.

Oh, I don't care about the weather in the least.

I like it hot, warm, cold, sunny, rainy, snow, or whatever else mother nature wants to throw our way.

That aside, I will feel better with Burfict back in the mix, but still see a Bengals win.

I want more Jeremy Hill as well. He's the bell cow. Let him pound it and work off of that.

Dennard back would be nice.

I'f feel more confident about our Os ability to keep up if Jones and Eifert were healthy. I think our offense has the potential to be fairly unstoppable when working at full force. Too many components to keep track of and if Andy really has taken a step forward...

Speaking of the Eifert injury, does anyone know if Hewitt is a credible replacement for the 2 TE scheme until Tyler gets back? Has he been practicing the scheme at all?

Paul Dehner Jr. @pauldehnerjr · 9m

Jackson said he went up to Hill after the game to specifically tell him he will be playing more going forward. Only had 10 snaps.

Paul Dehner Jr. @pauldehnerjr · 9m

Hue Jackson said that will not be the standard split between Gio/Hill. Just didn't think Hill best fit for Sunday's gameplan/situation.

Good to hear. We will need more from Hill to beat Atlanta.

This game worries me a bit. However, the Falcons aren't the same team on the road as they are at home. I do however expect the defense is to be tested considerably.

I concur with many who posted above, I would like to see the game slowed down with a heavy dose of Gio and J-Hill. I don't want a track meet. With injuries, I don't like our ability to keep up.

A tough game coming up, and maybe with the injuries and our thin depth in certain areas the advantage may have slipped the Falcons way (??).

NFL.com comparison : http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014091402/2014/REG2/falcons@bengals#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze

In my opinion we need to run the ball to control the clock and limit the amount of time the Falcons O has possession. This will also help out our own O who without Marvin Jones and Tyler Eifert will be lacking two credible targets.

Eifert being out will be a huge blow to the double TE scheme and I'm not sure Alex Smith is the same type of player that Eifert is. It also means we are likely to see a lot more of the penalty-machine Gresham on single TE sets.

I'm hoping that Jeremy Hill will announce his arrival on the NFL scene - the Atlanta D can be run on ... when was the last time Cincy had a game where 2 RB's had 100 yards each ?? (Cheeky I know but it's not impossible, both Gio and Hill are capable of snapping off a big one to rack up the yardage).

I'm quite concerned about our D - can we handle the aerial attack from Matt Ryan? Can the DB's stop Julio Jones, Devin Hester, White and Douglas? Will Geno be nearer the disruptive force he was and get at / allow others to get at Ryan in the backfield?

At this moment in time I think this could be a very close game .... we'll see what the injury report throws up as the week rolls along.

Some good news from Hobson, sounds like both Geno and Burfict are on course for Sunday.

The Bengals' two Pro Bowl defenders, defensive tackle Geno Atkins (rest) and WILL backer Vontaze Burfict (concussion) sat out Wednesday's practice.

Burfict appears to be progressing in the protocol after his hit on Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco late in the first half Sunday. He was not only at the facility, but on the field with the backers. Atkins was also with his linemates, suggesting he's OK. It's unclear if he sat out because of the unknown issue that caused him to get carted off after the game or if he's going to rest his surgically-repaired ACL once a week. But all signs are he's playing Sunday...

No mention of Dennard so I assume he's back on the field...doubt they would have sent McCalebb back down if that weren't the case.