Falcons @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MJ, AC, TJ, 85, Frostee, Keith Rivers, Pat Sims, Rudi, Eric Steinbach...going back a ways. How many of the guys the Bengals let go succeed elsewhere? Not many, the only one I can think of right now is Evan Mathis, I think that is telling.

Ahmad Brooks and Justin Smith both have been better since leaving

MJ, AC, TJ, 85, Frostee, Keith Rivers, Pat Sims, Rudi, Eric Steinbach...going back a ways. How many of the guys the Bengals let go succeed elsewhere? Not many, the only one I can think of right now is Evan Mathis, I think that is telling.

Ahmad Brooks and Justin Smith both have been better since leaving

Yup, though I think you guys are conflating some different types of FAs here.

One type are guys the Bengals let go. Chad, Rivers, Sims, Rudi, Mathis and Brooks are all examples. For the most part these were guys they thought were done or thought they had better options. Brooks and Mathis were the two they got wrong. Skua could become another one that got away.

MJ, Collins, Steinbach, Frostee and Smith were all guys who drew big offers in free agency that the Bengals didn't try to compete with (tho they did make a last-ditch try with MJ). Smith succeeded in a different spot in SF, Steiney had a good career until his back gave out, and Frostee did pretty good in one year in Cleveland but fell afoul of the endless staff churn there. MJ and Collins are incompletes. But I would say the only real miss here was Steinbach. Letting him go while paying Willie and Levi proved to be a major error. Hawkins is in this category too, jury still out on that call.

Then there's Housh and, of course, Palmer. Like TKO, they felt the had done their time in Siberia and for whatever reason weren't going to consider any offer from Cincy. Of all the guys you can list here, the only success might be Corey Dillon, who got a ring with NE.