Bengals Opt Into 85% Sellout Plan

HoosierCat

There's also been increasing pressure politically for the FCC to eliminate the blackout rule. I suspect the league's front office is pushing hard on teams in small to mid-sized markets to lower the threshhold so they can basically eliminate blackouts and then say regulatory changes aren't needed.

blackout rules never made much sense to me. I always felt that the more exposure a team can get locally the better off it would be. More fans in the area leads to more merchandise sales and more ticket sales long term.

Yup. The blackout rules are a relic of an era before big TV money and endorsement deals. They were actually put in place to force owners to televise home games; used to be that they didn't put home games on TV whether the game sold out or not. Since there were no big TV deals then, owners saw that as giving away their product for free and were grumpy enough about televising away games in home markets.

These days all the money is in TV so blackouts make zero sense.

Nice.

I like the comment about how the league doesn't need government help to be viable.

That's the damn truth !!!

Oh, c'mon Army! You and I both know that there's just no way an impoverished small-market team like the Bengals could possibly afford a $400 million sports palace without taxpayer help! And have you even looked at the price of Jumbotrons lately? I mean, really! It's completely unfair of you to expect Mike Brown to shoulder the burden all alone. Look at all the joy he's brought Cincinnati! No government help? Hey that oxcart ain't gonna pull itself out of the ditch. Someone has to pay to put a trailer hitch on the Lumina, and better you than Mike!

:monopoly: :monopoly: :monopoly:

Nice.

I like the comment about how the league doesn't need government help to be viable.

That's the damn truth !!!

Oh, c'mon Army! You and I both know that there's just no way an impoverished small-market team like the Bengals could possibly afford a $400 million sports palace without taxpayer help! And have you even looked at the price of Jumbotrons lately? I mean, really! It's completely unfair of you to expect Mike Brown to shoulder the burden all alone. Look at all the joy he's brought Cincinnati! No government help? Hey that oxcart ain't gonna pull itself out of the ditch. Someone has to pay to put a trailer hitch on the Lumina, and better you than Mike!

:monopoly:/> :monopoly:/> :monopoly:/>

Los Angeles on line 1 for you, Mr. Brown.

I would and wouldn't hate for the Bengals to leave town.

I would be interesting to see what would happen with the ownership of the stadium and such.

I have no idea how that would work out. None.

I think you could look at Detroit and Houston to find the answer. Both of the old stadiums had years of failed attempts for repurposing and failed.

And something else that needs to end?

Check out Nashville, TN on the early CBS game.

/>http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2014&wk=2

censored.gif

Hmmm. Looks like the magic bubble that keep out snow also keeps out Bengals games!

Looks like I might get the game. Even though I'm up around Chicago cable carries a channel down in the Indy area that usually follows the Cincy area if the Colts aren't playing.

• 3 weeks later...

For the time being nothing changes. The NFL can still black out any game it wants, but now they don't have the fig leaf covering of federal regulations "making them do it." Now the league owns each and every blackout. My guess is that the bad publicity will force them to abandon the policy sooner or later. probably sooner. Imagine if we have three more playoff teams this struggling to sell out like last year. If the league were to black out a game on its own, especially in a publicly funded stadium, they would be slitting their own throats. Laws would start flying immediately.

It will probably take a season or two but IMHO the blackout is dead.

Here's a link to Forbes. A sold out stadium nets a little over 4 mill in gate money per game. That's with average ticket price at $69 . The article breaks it down. What I'm. Wondering is what is revenue if the bengals make around 32 mill on 8 home games, where does this huge revenue number come from? sponserships, TV? And are luxury boxed counted in the bengals near 66 thousand seat total? http://www.forbes.com/teams/cincinnati-bengals/

The number you want on that page is gate receipts, $49 million. Ticket revenue is shared, tho,I'm not sure of the exact formula theses days, and I don't know if that represents shared dollars or what they are generating on their own at PBS before it goes into a pot to be split up.

I can see why Brown isn't in a hurry to make his own improvements. He may be restricted from using revenue that is part of the sharing. Another question is what does The Family earn each year? I wonder if losing half of the gate profit... Say down to 24 mil a year cuts into their own pocket money