53-Man Roster Projections

HoosierCat

Cutdowns be a-coming. Hobs has a rundown here:

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Down-the-stretch/6c57fd8a-9fed-4ed5-893f-c0284b62dba9

My guess:

QB: Dalton, Campbell

WR: Green, Jones, Sanu, Sanzenbacher, Tate, Whalen

RB: Gio, Hill, BJGE, Peerman

FB/HB/TE/whatever: Charles

TE: Gresham, Eifert, Smith

OL: Whit, Moobs, Bodine, Zeitler, Boling, Pollack, Hawkinson, Hopkins, Robinson, Svitek

DL: Atkins, Peko, Dunlap, Geathers, Gilberry, Thompson, Still, Hunt, Clarke, Bilikudi

LB: Burfict, Malualuga, Lamur, Rey, Porter, Mays

DB: Newman, Hall, Jones, Nelson, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Iloka, Williams

ST: Nugent, Harris, Huber

PS: Isaiah Lewis, Cobi Hamilton, Matt Scott, Ryan Hewitt, Victor Hampton, Lavelle Westbrooks, TJ Johnson, Lakendrick Ross, Marquis Flowers, Dontay Moch

Moch was an injury scratch before the Jets game. No specifics were given, tho.

Hmmmm, interesting.

It seems like Mr. Harvey at ESPN thinks that Hewitt over Charles at h-back is a lock. He's certainly gotten high praise from Lewis...

I would give the nod to Hewitt over Charles too, but I think Hue will give his project one last chance and then argue for putting Hewitt on the PS. He should clear waivers easily, and if Orson doesn't demonstrate improvement quickly they can make an in-season switch. Also gives them flexibility if one of the TEs or RBs gets hurt, especially with Burkhead gone for the first half of the season or so.

Hewitt though had started both games, with Charles playing with 3rd stringers, I'm just not sure Charles is still around.

Also seeing what Goodberry has to say about key back up guys on this team esp the d-line it's a little concerning. Either guys didnt give 110 percent or they are just not really good. Either way ill be interested to see who stays and who goes. Sounded like Clarke was really bad this weekend Jets kept running at him with success, so not sure how much he will contribute this year. The once great d-line may not be what it used to, and that would suck. I mean with the rotation.

Yeah, I'd say McCarron to the reserve/non-football injury list is about the biggest lock on the team. :lol:

Unless someone else more important goes down with a bad but not season-ending injury, Rex will probably get the IR/return designation. Otherwise he will be waived/injured, no one will claim him, and he will revert to the Bengals' IR list. Tough break for him, he was having a good camp.

@volcom: yeah, they are giving Hewitt every chance to impress with the ones, and why not, they know what Orson can do. And while I like Hewitt, John Conner he ain't:

/>https://vine.co/v/M3ddM19VJve

One of the two will make th final 53, I just don't know that Hue will give up on Charles yet. And yeah, Clarke has a long way to go. I don't think they have any choice other than to carry him on the 53 tho.

I'm not sure Benny was going anywhere even before Burkhead got hurt. IF they really intend to dial the passing game back -- say from 587 attempts last season to 500 attempts in 2014 -- and IF they are serious about more no-huddle/hurry-up, that translates into a lot more runs. That's a lot of pounding and the more you can spread it around the better.

No surprise. Not like Pollack has lit the world on fire. IMO the guy getting boned the most is Robinson...

Maybe, but some go Pollacks blocks in this last game were great. I think he deserves his shot with the ones. I'm just afraid they will struggle with Bodine in there, he gets pushed back way to often. I'm hoping he succeeds and proves me wrong, but again if he struggles I worry nobody will take him out, just like the rest of the struggling centers Paul has left in.

Harvey tweets speaking with Hue it's not decided, but Paul thinks it is. I think maybe it's time they get on the same page here.

Interesting. Another possible piece of evidence that Hue is more willing to go up against Lord Alexander than past OCs. If so, good to see.

ETA: oh yeah it sounds like there may be a little difference of opinion. Here's Dehner's story:

/>http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/08/18/bengals-say-rookie-russell-bodine-opening-day-starter/14253955/

Basically Alexander says it's Bodine, full stop. Hue says not so fast, Pollack needs a shot and concludes, "I am sure Marvin will figure that one out and move forward."

So...Marvin's move.

At a guess, I suspect Hue feels some pressure to win now if he wants to get his name back in consideration for a head coaching job. And a sense of urgency has not historically been in great supply in Cincy. He may think the vet center gives him a better chance to win versus a fourth round project.

At a guess, I suspect Hue feels some pressure to win now if he wants to get his name back in consideration for a head coaching job. And a sense of urgency has not historically been in great supply in Cincy. He may think the vet center gives him a better chance to win versus a fourth round project.

It dosnt hurt to try. There was no battle for the starting center job at all, Paul gave it to Bodine as soon as he put pads on. I think this is crap, and he maybe the best center, but give other guys a chance to win the job against the rookie.