Bengals @ Cardinals Game Thread

gregcook68

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old rule of thumb was something like this:

Game 1: starters play the first quarter.

Game 2: starters play the first half.

Game 3: starters play the first half and first series of Q3.

Game 4: starters play the first series at most.

In the Age of Big Money, all that has been shortened. Depending on play, I doubt the ones play beyond the first half, probably not more than half Q2 unless they look horrid.

I truly believe in Jackson and Guenther and think they will fix the backup situation.

I say that to say that the only thing I think that will keep this team from making the playoffs for the fourth year in a row is injuries.

Agreeing with the fact that I don't like to see injuries for anyone on ANY team ............... however I DO hope that Burfict gets a shot at Johnny Football! ;)

Not to injure him, just to knock the hot air wind out of him for about a quarter! :sure:

Part of this that can't be forgotten is just how many 2nd and 3rd stringers were on the field together.

My point to that is, if you have to insert the "next man up" into the mix of starters, the mistakes won't be so glaring and the 1's can help them out.

If you put eleven 2nd and 3rd stringers on the field together, you get what you got after Dalton and the 1's left the game against the Jets.

I don't think there's really that much that needs "fixed" in that regard.

That's not to say there's no improvement needed, just making an observation.

Part of this that can't be forgotten is just how many 2nd and 3rd stringers were on the field together.

My point to that is, if you have to insert the "next man up" into the mix of starters, the mistakes won't be so glaring and the 1's can help them out.

If you put eleven 2nd and 3rd stringers on the field together, you get what you got after Dalton and the 1's left the game against the Jets.

I don't think there's really that much that needs "fixed" in that regard.

That's not to say there's no improvement needed, just making an observation.

In addition to this, when you have a next man up with starters, there is a natural instinct for them to feed off the starters and play better. Same as when Peko and others have said how they play better and feed off Geno when he's in the game.

Also keep in mind, as bad as it appeared, the 2s and 3s only gave up 9 points against the Jets non-starters.

Some updates from the Hob:

- Geno iffy to play Sunday.

- Campbell will probably go.

- Moobs cleared concussion tests and should play.

- Burfict not practicing today but expected to play Sunday.

- Dennard not practicing.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-Geno-still-on-for-Sept-7-but-Sunday-up-in-air-Tez-out-but-looks-set-for-Sunday/00530701-5da7-4f94-87e6-b858620f0790

Update: per Dehner Geno practiced today and should go "for a couple series" Sunday. No word on whether Dennard will play but he said he'd be fine for the opener.

Hey all. Took me awhile to get over the playoff loss. Never fear still love the Bengals. Is anyone going to the Cardinal game? I'm going to get to see the team live for the first time ever! Hope I can enjoy and not spend the whole time worrying about injuries. It's really going to be interesting seeing how these guys compete this year with the 1rst place schedule. Prove the doubters wrong this year boys

My bet is Mike got bit by zombie Burfict. He's going back to Cincy to make sure that when he turns undead his first victim is Paul Daugherty.

More lousy injury news: Robert Geathers' brother Kwame got knocked out of the Chargers game with a leg injury.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/8/24/6063411/chargers-kwame-geathers-leg-injury-brother-robert-geathers

Please football gods let us get through tonight with no injuries!