Jets @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well from the sounds of it, these coaches are not very happy with these back ups. Sounds like guys who think they have made the team, might want to think again.

Yea Cobi is not very good, he can do it in practice but not in real games. My guess is he is gone, or maybe practice squad.

My impressions from the game

1) Dalton has never looked better.

2) Bodine might get there someday, but needs time right now. Pollak needs to start at C

3) Where is Eifert?

4) Hill is a stud. Much more happy about that pick now

5) Cobi will be on the PS. I am sure he will get it at some point, and he has tons of untapped potential; but for now, he should work with the juggs machine 100 catches a day or more with someone standing there providing at least some simulated "coverage". I'd still say he is doing better than expected for a 6th round pick, and I am definitely rooting for him.

6) The Estonian Nightmare looks to be a good replacement for our lost DE

7) Huber remembered how to punt well. Very good news.

8) Special Teams needs a LOT of additional practice reps. A whole lot.

9) The rookie FA OG looks to be a keeper. I'll still want a lineman in he draft, but probably a OLT this time.

10) I really like the Rookie FA H-back. Can he be our fullback too, only, like, do it better than Orson did last year?

11) Almost certainly gone this week: Orson, the backup punter, Sam Montgomery, the FA fullback, and some of the guilty parties on the ST breakdowns. I think Wright sticks one more week as they give him one last chance after ST penalties in both games

The thing is those injuries to Wilson and Burkhead could have been avoided if the backup O-line had at least blocked a little.Our backups are piss poor. I guess we'd better be scanning that waiver wire this year and pray for good health (which never happens with this team)

Like I said before, what we've seen so far is a welcome change from many seasons past, when we were still waiting at this point in the preseason for the ones to score a single point. I can remember many seasons when they got left in against twos and threes to try and find the end zone. And then we'd win because our backups would outplay their backups.

Depth is definitely an issue. But I'd rather have that issue than a first team that can't move the ball.

What it does suggest is this: roster cut downs are coming. Inevitably there will be vet talent that comes available in the next couple weeks. The Bengals have a metric crap ton of cap space. It would be wise to look at using some of that if a guy or two becomes available.

Well, how's that saying go: "Things are never as good or bad as they seem".

I hope that's the case in regards to what we saw from the backups Saturday, because they didn't do anything except go through the motions.

Hell, they even sucked at going through the motions.

Hopefully what we saw from the #1 offense continues in that trend, because they were fun to watch when Dalton was in there.

I know you can't read to much into it at this point, but they looked sharp.

You could hear a collective gasp in our section when they realized Burfict was on the ground.

I would like to see Hill get some time running behind the starting o-line as well, but know it will come.

Cobi Hamilton better find his inner beast these last couple preseason games, because he sucked Saturday.

I don't understand him not taking advantage with Jones being out. Disappointing.

Cobi Hamilton better find his inner beast these last couple preseason games, because he sucked Saturday.

I don't understand him not taking advantage with Jones being out. Disappointing.

What does it say that after a year on the taxi squad he can't manage to stand out in a preseason game...but has managed to get himself an app? To me it sounds like his priorities might be a bit turned around.

That said, I think he has a good shot to make it back onto the practice squad. Zero percent chance of the 53-man roster IMO.

That said, I think he has a good shot to make it back onto the practice squad. Zero percent chance of the 53-man roster IMO.

That's about it. Again, disappointing.