Roster Moves

HoosierCat

Anyone else think they ought to look at WR? There's been some talk about Jacoby Ford, mostly because he has a connection to Hue.

I like the preseason Sanu's had, but last season he really struggled. Jones of course is hurt. I know they expect him back after the bye but he'll take some time to ramp up, too. And after those two we have Tate, who has amply demonstrated his uselessness in the passing game. I still have hopes for Hamilton but my expectations are low. So I guess that leaves Sanzenbacher.

I'd probably feel more comfortable if Eifert hadn't been sidelined all preseason.

I know all the talk, at least in the mainstream sports media, has been about how the Bengals have to make up for the loss of Michael Johnson, but my gut says that at least for the first quarter or half of the year, the guy we're going to miss most is Baby Hawk.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think they ought to look at WR? There's been some talk about Jacoby Ford, mostly because he has a connection to Hue.

I like the preseason Sanu's had, but last season he really struggled. Jones of course is hurt. I know they expect him back after the bye but he'll take some time to ramp up, too. And after those two we have Tate, who has amply demonstrated his uselessness in the passing game. I still have hopes for Hamilton but my expectations are low. So I guess that leaves Sanzenbacher.

I'd probably feel more comfortable if Eifert hadn't been sidelined all preseason.

I know all the talk, at least in the mainstream sports media, has been about how the Bengals have to make up for the loss of Michael Johnson, but my gut says that at least for the first quarter or half of the year, the guy we're going to miss most is Baby Hawk.

As you hinted at, I think the TEs will make up for it.

And, I do think Dane will be serviceable...good for 1 or 2 receptions a game that could go for big gains since the opposing D won't be focused on him.

I think Hawkins was just that spark beyond our 1-3 WR's that made things more of a challenge for defenses.

You knew when he got the ball in his hands, he was capable of breaking one off.

However, there was simply no way the Bengals could pay what the Browns gave Hawkins.

That wouldn't have been anywhere near the smart thing to do.

Here's to hoping that our TE's get and stay healthy along with Hue utilizing them properly.

Well, whether or not you think the Bengals should have matched, the fact is that after they chose not to, they didn't make much of an effort to replace him. And that's come back to bite them a bit with Jones' injury and Cobi's failure to develop. I think they had some hopes that Wright could take Hawk's role, but now he's banged-up too.

I've just seen this movie before where Green gets triple-covered every play, and no other WR can get separation and take advantage of it. That briefly looked like it was changing in 2012 when Sanu went on a tear for a few games, but then he got hurt. And then the sun rose briefly last season after Jones came on...and now he's dinged. And like I said Eifert's absence isn't helping my disposition.

It's just frustrating to know that they have the pieces but struggle so much to get them all on the field and clicking at the same time.

I'm assuming they didn't make much of an effort to do anything after Hawkins left because they thought they had the answer on thier roster.

They probably figured between Cobi, Dane, and Taint that they would have someone to fill that role.

That and they probably didn't plan on Eifert not playing in the preseason or Jones' injury.

Maybe they should have been thinking that far, but I can't say they were all together wrong.

Yeah, I agree with Sanu being ready to explode this season.

Sanu looked like an absolute stud against the Cardinals. If he can stay healthy, he's the answer. If he and Jones both get and stay healthy, division crown.

Pretty much. Sanu looked fast and physical. Already a great second option, add in Jones and the TEs and you really have something offensively.

I'm not expecting much in the way of moves either, but I could see them bringing in an o-line or d-line guy. Depends on if they see someone they think is better than Bilikudi/Still (not a big challenge) or someone like Hawkinson who could be PS'd. But I agree it won't be ofr a core guy, just tinkering at the edges.

I made the comment a while back that considering what cutting him would net the team financially, I would be shocked if he stuck around.

Class act and I wish him nothing but the best, but it was time to move on.

Assuming Wilder makes it to the practice squad, which I think he does, he's the next man up in case something happens ahead of him in the pecking order.

At least from a bellcow, pound it perspective.

I think Hawkins was just that spark beyond our 1-3 WR's that made things more of a challenge for defenses.

You knew when he got the ball in his hands, he was capable of breaking one off.

However, there was simply no way the Bengals could pay what the Browns gave Hawkins.

That wouldn't have been anywhere near the smart thing to do.

Here's to hoping that our TE's get and stay healthy along with Hue utilizing them properly.

Hawkins got paid what the market will bear. Bengals did not want to allocate the funds, fine. But that is quite different than saying they couldn't do it.

I agree he was a "spark" when he got plays his way. Maybe Gio will be the spark in this mix of sets and playcalls?

What I currently find not smart is continuing to pay Leon Hall at the same level as before he snapped both Achilles tendons. That right there is what I call "not smart".

I'm actually pleased they decided to part ways with BJGE, as he really was not an effective back but for short yardage situations, and that's not worth the contract level he had.

With Hill, Gio, Rex and Peerman, that's plenty of guys to cover the loss.

By that I was referring to how smart it would have been, not whether they could actually do it.

Sure they could have, but at what expense ?? You simply can't pay your #4 WR that kind of coin.

With Gordon out in Cleveland, Hawkins is the new #1 up there.

Yeah, I don't really care about BJGE getting axed as I don't think he was effective all that much either.

Leon Hall has me worried and while I can't see getting rid of him, a restructuring wouldn't have hurt my feelings.

He should count his blessings that the owner he plays for is so loyal.

I have to point out again that Hawkins was hurt and not as effective last season. It was two years ago that he contributed the spark on offense. Gio and Marvin Jones did that for us last year and I see no reason why Sanu can not pick up the slack while Jones is out.

As a team you just cant shell out that big of a contract to a WR that will not touch the ball very often. In Cleveland he will be getting a lot more looks and he should be very effective for them, just was not going to see the same amount of playing time here.