Roster Moves

HoosierCat

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hobs sez Schaffer has not decided if he'll return to football, so I am guessing he isn't in the mix to fill the open LB spot after all - sad - liked what I saw of him last year

The other move the club made Tuesday is release second-year middle linebacker J.K. Schaffer from the injured reserve list, where he’s been since Aug. 27. Schaffer, who played in nine games in 2013, is one of a handful of Bengals who played high school, college, and pro ball in Cincinnati.

A La Salle High School grad and all-league player at the University of Cincinnati, Schaffer battled concussions during training camp and is continuing to recover while weighing options for his future. He has yet to decide if he’ll keep playing.

I wanted to keep AC as well, but they simply didn't view him as being worth the kind of money Tampa Bay was throwing at him.

You could point to how poorly he has played this season, but I would bet that wouldn't have been the case had he stayed here with Whit next to him.

Either way, he's gone and like TJ, i'm looking forward to the comp picks this season.

For what it's worth, i'm hoping they go back to the end of last year for 2015 in that they draft a LT in the first or second round and slide Whit to the inside. There won't be the cost there would have been, they could hold onto a first rounder longer by picking up the option (if he does well), and moving Whit in to the LG spot would extend his career.

If nothing else, the depth at the position is certainly needed. I could see them taking 2 OT's in this draft to be honest.

I bet they wish they'd kept Collins now.

dash.gif

Yep,

And what does it say about the viability of Kirkpatrick, that he can't beat out a guy with two blown/repaired achilles? Assuming we give Dennard a pass this season while he gets up to speed. My Football Management 101 desk guide would say that Kirkpatrick is a B-U-S-T. If Hall, with his fixed Achilles, is still more viable than DreKirk, why even keep DreKirk and draft Dennard? Seems a mess to me.

That they felt that keeping Hall, with two young r1 Corners on the roster, was more important than keeping AC and evolving the line so he could be the LT going forward, with Whit moving inside to LG (as they were when they played their best last year) is a baffling thing.

Moobs has been decently durable, as has Whit but with no real quality OT in the wings, the whole decision process for the salary cap, and contracts seems like they F'd up.

They were never going to replace Hall they love him to much and feel he is there best corner. I wouldn't call Dre a bust you really can't call somebody that if you never seen him play yet. When he has played he has been pretty good. For some reason Marvin is always afraid to play the young guys, he will always play the older guy. I'm very suprised Wright is getting playing time.

AC is horrible this year, not sure if it's because he moved on but he is one of the worst tackles this season. I was hoping they resigned him, because I still think Whit is a better guard, but they made the choice, and with how AC is playing maybe it was not a bad idea, but who knows.

^^^^This

We automatically assume that the best players are always on the field. We forget about contract money, loyalty towards veterans, and biases against the rookies.

For what it's worth, i'm hoping they go back to the end of last year for 2015 in that they draft a LT in the first or second round and slide Whit to the inside. There won't be the cost there would have been, they could hold onto a first rounder longer by picking up the option (if he does well), and moving Whit in to the LG spot would extend his career.

Wasn't part of the AC debate that Whit did not want to move inside to LG ?? My memory may not be serving me correctly here but I thought that was really what it boiled down to - AC wanted starter money and the Bengals wouldn't guarantee that cos Whit was the LT and he did want to move to LG

???

That was the story in that Whit didn't want to move inside, but I think there comes a point in time where that move HAS to be made.

Whit isn't getting any younger and getting a LT replacement should happen before he's done.

I know the team is going to be loyal to a fault with him, but it's in the best interest for the team to make that move.

Like I said, "I'm hoping".

Bringing a rookie LT up with Whit playing next to him would be a win win situation.

The other thing to consider is that Whit is a free agent and will be 33 years old after next year.

Something is going to have to give.

dash.gif

Yep,

And what does it say about the viability of Kirkpatrick, that he can't beat out a guy with two blown/repaired achilles? Assuming we give Dennard a pass this season while he gets up to speed. My Football Management 101 desk guide would say that Kirkpatrick is a B-U-S-T. If Hall, with his fixed Achilles, is still more viable than DreKirk, why even keep DreKirk and draft Dennard? Seems a mess to me.

That they felt that keeping Hall, with two young r1 Corners on the roster, was more important than keeping AC and evolving the line so he could be the LT going forward, with Whit moving inside to LG (as they were when they played their best last year) is a baffling thing.

Moobs has been decently durable, as has Whit but with no real quality OT in the wings, the whole decision process for the salary cap, and contracts seems like they F'd up.

They were never going to replace Hall they love him to much and feel he is there best corner. I wouldn't call Dre a bust you really can't call somebody that if you never seen him play yet. When he has played he has been pretty good. For some reason Marvin is always afraid to play the young guys, he will always play the older guy. I'm very suprised Wright is getting playing time.

AC is horrible this year, not sure if it's because he moved on but he is one of the worst tackles this season. I was hoping they resigned him, because I still think Whit is a better guard, but they made the choice, and with how AC is playing maybe it was not a bad idea, but who knows.

AC may have a horrible rating based on his play in TB but he is far from a horrible LT. Had he stayed, and had they showed some balls as management (a "best for the team" kind of decision), AC would have been signed to be the LT, Whit would move inside, and they would have shed some salary cap weight along the way (Hall, Geathers, Peko) since they have young guys in each of those spots that they need to step up (Dre, Clarke/Hunt, and Thompson). As it is, they have $10M in cap space, more than enough to have done all the current moves, as well as keep AC.

What's nuts is most consider the LT spot to be one of the most important, right? and when you have two guys who are up to task (Whit and AC) you'd think they'd find a way to preserve the talent they've already invested in and are proven. As it is, it now looks like they are caught in a silly spot, and needed to sign Winston out of desperation for RT, despite having several guys who they wanted to take on that role.

Had they kept AC for the LT spot, once Moobs went down, they could shift Whit to RT, and then still have Pollack and Boling to cover LG.... makes too much sense, right?

Hindsight being 20/20, I think they botched up the decision relative AC.

Paul Dehner Jr. @pauldehnerjr · 57m 57 minutes ago

Bengals signed LB Chris Carter. A fourth year player who spent three years with Pittsburgh.

I take this as a sign that Burfict may be done for the year.

Given his concussions this season, and the status if his knee, I'd prefer they not push Burfict too fast. I'd like to see him in stripes for another 10 years.

Being down some important players, I don't see this as a year they Bengals advance, if they make the playoffs at all.

Moobs, Eifert, Jones, Burfict...

He played in 13 games last season for the Steelers and started one, but has zero stats with the Colts this season.

Lets hope he's a smart guy and they can pick his brain.

This was a PFT article prior to the start of the season:
/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/28/can-chris-carter-become-next-steelers-lb-to-break-out-after-apprenticeship/

Bengals signed LB Chris Carter. A fourth year player who spent three years with Pittsburgh.

I think it's just a replacement for DiManche. But that said, I agree that it looks like Burfict is done for 2014. And like you said it may be a blessing is disguise given how much he rattled his cage this season.

Y'know, for all the bitching that's been done about Dalton, Hue, Marvin and Paulie G., consider that this year they've been without

Marvin Jones

Tyler Eifert

Sean Porter

Alex Smith

Moobs half the season

Thompson and FNR for about 9 or 10 games combined

Burfict for all but 3 or 4 games

Geno and Hall nowhere near 100%

Green for a couple games and playing hurt the rest

Gio for a couple games

MJ gone

AC gone

Baby Hawk gone

Bilikudi, stolen by Ravens, forcing them to play Still

Yet they are a missed chip shot figgie from 9-3 coming into December.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Wideout Mike Williams has been waived from Buffalo .....think there will be any interest from the Bengals ???

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000440975/article/bills-waive-embattled-wide-receiver-mike-williams

dash.gif

Yep,

Losers are whining about our back-up LT from last year again. They are also flexing their personnel chops by second-guessing the people who actually know the game.

I think it's just a replacement for DiManche. But that said, I agree that it looks like Burfict is done for 2014. And like you said it may be a blessing is disguise given how much he rattled his cage this season.

Y'know, for all the bitching that's been done about Dalton, Hue, Marvin and Paulie G., consider that this year they've been without

Marvin Jones

Tyler Eifert

Sean Porter

Alex Smith

Moobs half the season

Thompson and FNR for about 9 or 10 games combined

Burfict for all but 3 or 4 games

Geno and Hall nowhere near 100%

Green for a couple games and playing hurt the rest

Gio for a couple games

MJ gone

AC gone

Baby Hawk gone

Bilikudi, stolen by Ravens, forcing them to play Still

Yet they are a missed chip shot figgie from 9-3 coming into December.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Also consider that some teams, such as the Steelers, have almost nobody of any note on IR. Why would anybody miss AC and MJ after seeing their mediocre and uninspired play for the Bucs?

Losers are whining about our back-up LT from last year again. They are also flexing their personnel chops by second-guessing the people who actually know the game.

Mods:

Can we please get Blueridge banned now?

The above is a personal attack ONLY, with no actual on-topic discussion

Moreover, this person has been doing the same for years here

It's time

Mods:

Can we please get Blueridge banned now?

The above is a personal attack ONLY, with no actual on-topic discussion

Moreover, this person has been doing the same for years here

It's time

Wah! Wah! wah! If you aren't man enough to face the truth, I gladly withdraw. Undefeated. which makes you a ...

Wah! Wah! wah! If you aren't man enough to face the truth, I gladly withdraw. Undefeated. which makes you a ...

You are an imbecile.

Cool mods, suspend both of us and call it a day. wink.gif

Really though, the team is 8-4-1. That's a positive thing. It isn't great, but yanno we can't fairly demand GREATNESS. We can only hope for it and be thrilled if/when we get it. Let's try to get that 4th straight playoff berth no matter what happens otherwise. Get in and there's always a chance, even if it's the Dumb and Dumber version of a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

ICYMI, Eifert had shoulder surgery and is confirmed out for the year. No real surprise, but it sets up a problem at TE with Jermaine being a FA. We still really don't know what we have in Tyler, and we're all too clear on what we do and don't have in Gresham. I could see them pulling the trigger on yet another TE fairly early in the draft.

ICYMI, Eifert had shoulder surgery and is confirmed out for the year. No real surprise, but it sets up a problem at TE with Jermaine being a FA. We still really don't know what we have in Tyler, and we're all too clear on what we do and don't have in Gresham. I could see them pulling the trigger on yet another TE fairly early in the draft.

Have I told you how much I hate when you start talking about TE's early in the draft ??

I still blame you for Gresham just so you know.

However, I have to agree with you and won't really complain as long as Gresham leaves.

Disappointing to think what could have been this season. Add to that, Marvin Jones.

Eifert will be back no doubt. And yes, I would like to see them take another TE. I think they will.