Roster Moves

HoosierCat

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devon Still to the practice squad I'm happy about that.

They obviously want to keep him around but perhaps he needs a wee bit more time to recover from injuries or perhaps needs a bit of time out for his daughters sake.

Devon Still to the practice squad I'm happy about that.

They obviously want to keep him around but perhaps he needs a wee bit more time to recover from injuries or perhaps needs a bit of time out for his daughters sake.

I want to believe its for his daughter. There is no way for him to get better when the only thing on his mind is his sick daughter. Hopefully now he can spend more time with her, but yet get the insurance he needs.

Practice squad per cincy jungle

Devon Still, DT, Penn State

Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU

Trevor Robinson, C, Notre Dame

Kevin Greene, TE, USC

David King, DT, Oklahoma

Onterio McCalebb, CB, Auburn

Colin Lockett, WR, San Diego State

James Wilder Jr., RB, Florida State

Dan France OG, Michigan State

There's still one vacant spot that has yet to be filled.

All said and done, at least so far, the Bengals turned over about a quarter of the roster, which is pretty aggressive for a team that won the division last year.

OUT

Josh Johnson

Ryan Whalen

Andrew Hawkins

BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Orson Charles

Anthony Collins

Kyle Cook

Trevor Robinson (PS)

Michael Johnson

Devon Still (PS)

James Harrison

JK Schaffer

Chris Crocker

Brandon Ghee

IN

Jason Campbell

James Wright

Jeremy Hill

Ryan Hewitt

Marshall Newhouse

Russell Bodine

TJ Johnson

Will Clarke

Christo Bilikudi

Emmanuel Lamur

Sean Porter

Marquis Flowers

Darqueze Dennard

Problems with the practice squad

I think they have one too many DTs on it

I think they need to have a LB on it

I think they have the wrong DE

I think they have the wrong WR

I think there should be a QB on the squad - hopefully, the still unnamed tenth player will be a QB

------------------

all that said, I am very glad to see Robinson, Still, and Wilder on the squad

All said and done, at least so far, the Bengals turned over about a quarter of the roster, which is pretty aggressive for a team that won the division last year.

OUT

Josh Johnson

Ryan Whalen

Andrew Hawkins

BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Orson Charles

Anthony Collins

Kyle Cook

Trevor Robinson (PS)

Michael Johnson

Devon Still (PS)

James Harrison

JK Schaffer

Chris Crocker

Brandon Ghee

IN

Jason Campbell

James Wright

Jeremy Hill

Ryan Hewitt

Marshall Newhouse

Russell Bodine

TJ Johnson

Will Clarke

Christo Bilikudi

Emmanuel Lamur

Sean Porter

Marquis Flowers

Darqueze Dennard

Well, it is clear to me that the Bengals were not happy with the o-line last year. You could even consider Boling an addition since he was on IR all of last season. Time will tell whether they have improved or not.

I`d say LBers are improved over last year`s club. The secondary is definitely improved. D-line begs the question, How good was Michael Johnson? or How good are Hunt and Gilberry?

Based on the preseason, I think special teams has worsened. They`ll have to prove themselves in the season to get me back on the bandwagon.

A couple glaring weaknesses since Mike Brown took over : Center and Safety. Is this the year the finally get both right? Stay tuned!

It's not really how good Hunt or Gilberry are, but how much better are they from last season.

Gilberry had 7.5 sacks last season and much without Geno in the middle. Hunt has visibly come a long way from this time last season.

Again, I simply think people put too much into MJ. It's not that I didn't like him, because I did. I just don't think his loss hurts this defense.

Safety and Center ?? Couldn't agree more.

I hope Bodine becomes what they think he can become, but this team has long been hopeful to get starters at these positions at the back end.

I still don't like the Shawn Williams pick.

compared to this time last year:

the RBs look better; Dennard is a nice add at CB; LBers are healthier; a number 2 wide receiver really stepped up last year. How Marvin Jones recovers is a big key to how season goes, IMO.

the real problems are

1. loss of Zimmer; it's good to have his protégé, but won't really know how that works out for a while.

2. the defensive line, which got kicked around by so-so San Diego in playoffs, doesn't look much better with loss of Michael Johnson, and with Atkins returning slowly from serious injury. A lot depends on Carlos Dunlap, who's never been the most dependable. I thought tossing Pat Sims away before last season was an error, and the play of high picks Brandon Thompson/Devon Still never really altered my thinking. Now Still is out of the picture. Perhaps that actually helps.

3. we keep thinking that at least one of the TEs will become a great player, but nobody ever does. One of youse guys, get good.

4. I think that they could have named Bodine the third string center, started the guy on the practice squad, and nobody would have objected. So it'll be interesting to see how the current plan, which seemed to be drawn out of a hat, actually works out.

5. let's hope the starting OTs and safeties don't get hurt, because the backups are pretty scary. keeping Manning instead of 8 LBers when you only play 2 LBers seemed like a no-brainer to me. But what do I know, I'm a Bengals fan.

Bengals haven't drafted well for defense since 2010. that's a long dry spell.

just looking at the third round or higher, there's a lot of washouts: eg Moch and Still. Shawn Williams is unimpressive, Will Clarke looks like a miss, Dre Kirkpatrick has never done much. Brandon Thompson is so-so. Bengals have gotten by with strong 2009-10 drafts, plus a FA (Burfict). Most importantly, Zimmer was great with reclamations (PacMan, Newman, Nelson, Mays, Gilberry), which saved the Bengals a lot of cash and hid the drafting problems. Perhaps the new coordinator won't be so strong in that area.

really need young'uns like Lamur, Dennard and Margus Hunt to establish themselves, this year or next. Four year droughts come back to bite you.

Going back to 2002, they have only picked 5 o-linemen within the first 3 rounds. 2 of those (Levi and Steinbach) are obviously no longer on the team.

That leaves us with Whit, Big Dre, and Zeitler.

That's 42 picks within the first 3 rounds going back to 2002 and we have 3 starters and no backups from those picks on the o-line.

At least they have made the attempt on the defensive side of the ball.

Out of those same 42 picks, 25 went to the defense.

I can't really complain, but I think the Kirkpatrick pick hurt in regards to what we've gotten in return.

I think Hunt will be the most improved player in 2014 for the Bengals and they knew it was going to take at least a season for Clarke.

Don't they need a QB on the practice squad seeing as they only have 2 on the active roster? Who runs the scout team? Campbell needs to prepare for each week's opponent. It's too much to ask for him to do scout team duties too

Going back to 2002, they have only picked 5 o-linemen within the first 3 rounds. 2 of those (Levi and Steinbach) are obviously no longer on the team.

That's 42 picks within the first 3 rounds going back to 2002 and we have 3 starters and no backups from those picks on the o-line.

At least they have made the attempt on the defensive side of the ball.

Out of those same 42 picks, 25 went to the defense.

I can't really complain, but I think the Kirkpatrick pick hurt in regards to what we've gotten in return.

I think Hunt will be the most improved player in 2014 for the Bengals and they knew it was going to take at least a season for Clarke.

One thing - right side of line, and left tackle, all 1st rounders.

it's an interesting stat. So what you're saying is that the Bengals are batting 1.000 on drafting early round offensive linemen. that's pretty good. need to draft more of them. too much dead weight in the early rounds lately.

ironically, Still and Thompson were "luxury" picks, since the Bengals didn't particularly need either one of them-- they had Pat Sims and the intriguing Clinton McDonald, but felt the draft picks were too good to pass up.

for gods sake, quit missing with your can't-miss picks

ironically, Still and Thompson were "luxury" picks, since the Bengals didn't particularly need either one of them-- they had Pat Sims and the intriguing Clinton McDonald, but felt the draft picks were too good to pass up.

I think your timing is a bit off, princeton. Sims left in FA in March of 2012, and McDonald was traded to Seattle before the 2011 season began. Both were gone before Still and Thompson were selected in the 2012 draft. And they weren't luxury picks, they were "panic" selections. Not only had Sims walked in FA that year, but, but in what were completely unexpected moves (Mike Brown later admitted this), the Clowns threw five years and $25 million at Frostee Rucker and the Pats snapped up Jonathan Fanene for three years and $9 million.

This was the opening sacrifice to the Cruel God of 2014. After Dalton and Green lit it up in 2011, the Bengals were suddenly faced with the prospect of shelling out multiple epic-money deals in just a few years, and began proclaiming the need to hoard cash.

That said, these picks turned out like picks normally do when you reach for need: not well.

That said, these picks turned out like picks normally do when you reach for need: not well.

I don't recall Still or Thompson being considered reaches when they were taken...

I think your timing is a bit off, princeton. Sims left in FA in March of 2012, and McDonald was traded to Seattle before the 2011 season began. Both were gone before Still and Thompson were selected in the 2012 draft. And they weren't luxury picks, they were "panic" selections.

made me look: you got me on McDonald; Sims and Still have recorded stats with 2012 Bengals, so must have been on same team. Let's call Thompson the luxury pick and Still the reach.