Dalton Deal Done

HoosierCat

Well, Bridgewater was there for the taking and they passed.

They must not have heard about the Browns detailed investigation as to who the best QB in the draft was.

Looking forward to seeing Bridgewater take snaps for the Browns. Oh wait, that's right, they passed as well.

Again, what's the better option out there ??

Even if we regress and have an 8-8 showing in 2014, we aren't close enough to grab a top QB in the 2015 draft.

That is unless we make a huge blockbuster trade up to get one.

I wouldn't suggest holding your breath waiting for that miracle to occur.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man a lot of these fans are pissed this is crazy. Without even knowing how its structured this is crazy. I just want to know who everybody wants at QB. Oh the wanted Bridgewater, but yet nobody knows how he will do.

All facts, logic and reason are powerless in the face of the mighty #DaltonNado !

Again, my wild-arsed guess is that this is really a two-year deal that will pay Dalton something like $30-35 million in 2014-15, after which they will have the option to bail with minimal cap damage. But we'll see.

Harvey just tweeted that there may be a news conference at PBS soon (like 1 EST). Knowing the Bengals they won't give details but if they are talking then Dalton has probably put pen to paper. That means the contract will be sent to the league for review and we can expect details to leak shortly thereafter (like 5-6 seconds).

We just need to find out how this thing is set up.

I can recall Hoosier mentioning that a while back in that the structure will tell the true story.

I also believe once known, people will still bitch and moan endlessly.

I heard a guy the other day say if they give Dalton Kap's deal they would be stupid.

That's obviously someone who has no idea about how the contract was structured and just wanted to bitch.

Again, i've always stated that while liking Dalton, I want to see him continue improving the things he needs to.

This initial 19 million per year seems high, but we will see how it shakes out.

That being said, i've also been going on and on about how much QB's make. It's just the nature of the beast.

Wait until Wilson gets done in Seattle. The cap will continue to grow and this won't be a huge hit.

Waiting patiently.

Oh crap. CBS has this from LaCanfora:

As for the structure of Dalton's new contract, La Canfora says it will include limited fully guaranteed figures, and it will allow the Bengals to pay as they go more or less on a yearly basis. Owner Mike Brown was a big proponent of that structure from the deal the 49ers struck with their young quarterback, Colin Kaepernick.

Based on Jason's track record with Cincy "sources" this mean its a 100% fully guaranteed deal and that Dalton will get to be QB even after he retires...

Then the next sentence:

The details of the deal will be critical, but on paper, Dalton's contract is similar to the seven-year, $126.7 million deal the Bears gave Jay Cutler in January.

Wait, what? It's like Kap's deal but also like Cutler's deal? So it's like fire AND water?

I become more and more convinced that LaCanfora just make stuff up.

Doing the stress management breathing exercises I read about on Oprah.com.

LOL. You want a Super Stud Elite QB?

Get on board with Johnny Football's team up north.

You're in central Ohio. You have that option. No one here will think any less of you! LOL

Edited by HoosierCat
let's keep it friendly

Coley Harvey ‏@ColeyHarvey now

Brown is quick to say that his daughter, Katie Blackburn, negotiated the deal. He gave her a lot of credit for that.Said he was proud of her

Brown realizes the #Bengals are "betting big," but he and Marvin Lewis said (as they have been saying) believes Dalton deserves it.

Dalton said he's excited about the future, and is looking forward to the next seven years. Says he and his wife have made Cincy a home.

Doing the stress management breathing exercises I read about on Oprah.com.

LOL. You want a Super Stud Elite QB?

Get on board with Johnny Football's team up north.

You're in central Ohio. You have that option. No one here will think any less of you! LOL

We'LL see how friendly the reply is and see if that one gets edited! ;)

I just want to know who everybody wants at QB.

A guy who doesn't turn the ball over 30+ times a year and completely melt down under pressure? A guy who knows how to manage games with a top 5 defense, a great WR, and a stout running game?

A guy who doesn't make idiotic decisions and run around like a chicken with his head cut-off every time he's blitzed and/or under pressure?

A guy who can beat Pitt and Balt? (or handle going up against top defenses without throwing it to the other team 3X a game)?

He can beat crappy teams all day long who don't get near him, when his defense is setting him up constantly, and he has a tall, fast WR he can throw lobs to downfield without a ton of accuracy....

I hope Hue's offense/coaching helps him, namely by not having him throw so much. But I don't feel too confident as they still have the same QB coach and awful o-line coach as well.

We will see if he's eliminated his happy feet issue, and his inability to make something out of nothing instead of throwing an INT or fumbling...

We quickly forget he is quite possibly the worst QB in NFL HISTORY, in the post season, at this point.

I just want to know who everybody wants at QB.

A guy who doesn't turn the ball over 30+ times a year and completely melt down under pressure? A guy who knows how to manage games with a top 5 defense, a great WR, and a stout running game?

A guy who doesn't make idiotic decisions and run around like a chicken with his head cut-off every time he's blitzed and/or under pressure?

A guy who can beat Pitt and Balt? (or handle going up against top defenses without throwing it to the other team 3X a game)?

He can beat crappy teams all day long who don't get near him, when his defense is setting him up constantly, and he has a tall, fast WR he can throw lobs to downfield without a ton of accuracy....

I hope Hue's offense/coaching helps him, namely by not having him throw so much. But I don't feel too confident as they still have the same QB coach and awful o-line coach as well.

We will see if he's eliminated his happy feet issue, and his inability to make something out of nothing instead of throwing an INT or fumbling...

We quickly forget he is quite possibly the worst QB in NFL HISTORY, in the post season, at this point.

I get what you are saying, but who would that QB be ?? Anything that is an actual possibility and not pie in the sky ??

Lets stop acting like Dalton is the only QB who throws jump balls to exceptionally gifted athletes at WR.

I hope Dalton improves the things I think he needs to as well and that Hue's offensive scheme helps. I'd like to see him run more, like he did at TCU.

Peyton Manning was the worst QB in NFL post season history after his first three playoff appearances. Matt Ryan as well.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora now

Bengals deal with Andy Dalton, like many others, will be pay as you go. His fully guar $ comes in 2014 - $18M. Makes $22M total by next Feb

---------------

So it looks like it's shaping up as a very good deal all around. Dalton gets a nice (and well-deserved) payday. The Bengals get a deal that averages about $16 million/year over the six new years, and about $13.7 million counting 2014. Very reasonable for a starting NFL QB. And the small SB ($12 million) means it will likely only be a couple years before cutting him (if necessary) would free up cap space.

Props to Dalton for signing a friendly deal and props to the organization for stepping up with a nice up-front paycheck.