Bengals, Burfict at Impasse

HoosierCat

A report today says contract extension talks between the team and Vontaze have hit a wall.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/7/31/5956303/vontaze-burfict-and-bengals-contract-impasse

Assuming this isn't part of a negotiating ploy by one side or the other (and there were earlier reports of the gap between the two sides closing) I'll just throw up the speculation I made in the Dalton thread here (responding to COB):

At a guess, I expect the hangup is the usual: the two sides can't agree on a number. The problem is 3-4 versus 4-3 LB. If you look at, say, the top 10 outside linebackers by average salary, all but one are 3-4 OLBs. The lone exception is Minnesota's Chad Greenway, whose deal averages $8.1 million. I'm sure the Bengals are painting that as an outlier, and want to get a deal done in the $4 million to $6 million range common to 4-3 OLBs.

I'm equally sure that Burfict's agent agrees wholeheartedly with your assessment of Burfict as one of the best players in the league and feels he should be paid more like one of those top 3-4 LBs, putting him in the $11 million - $13 million range.

That kind of gap, plus the fact that the Bengals can tender him as an RFA next year (and I guarantee they will use the top tender), seems to me the more likely culprit to have stalled talks.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to recap:

• Cap space: about $25 million
  • Michael Johnson: gone
  • Anthony Collins: gone
  • Andrew Hawkins: gone
  • AJ Green: optioned, extension talks shelved
  • Vontaze Burfict: see OP
  • Andy Dalton: extension talks continue, conflicting reports about success.

Man, who would've thought Peko would turn out to be the big extension of 2014? (I know, I know, there's still plenty of time...)

If they truly move on from discussions with Dalton, Burfict will certainly get done.

It doesn't take more than to listen to some of the other players when they consider a new contract.

All of them make comments about how having that security is huge and what happens if they get injured.

Tell me again how much Burfict is slotted to make this year under his current contract ??

Oh yeah, $570,000 with a portion of his signing bonus as well. The signing bonus amount for this year ?? $333.00.

Something tells me logic will prevail in this situation.

Chiseling Burfict is completely stupid. He's a natural leader and the heart of this defense. He's a top 3 or 4 LB in the league, and he should be paid like one. Very frustrating.

Also very frustrating as a tribe fan - David Fucking Price to the Tigers. That is so ridiculous I want to barf. So now they have Price, Scherzer, and Verlander, and even though the Tribe has a winning record vs the Tigers this year, it is a mystery to me how we are going to compete. This move by the Tigers is a clear signal that they are going for the World Series.

Gotta save up for the INT/turnover machine.

Regardless, I think it's a safe risk to see if he can repeat what he did last year, which will be hard to do frankly...therefore the Bengals' may be in a better negotiating position this time next year when there's still little risk of losing him (it's not as if the Bengals' are EVER hurting for cap space).

Here's the way I view it (yes I know that doesn't obligate the front office to agree) and something to think about.

To this point in time, the Bengals didn't use a draft pick to get Burfict, have seen him rise to be one of the best linebackers in the league (pro bowl) and have had absolutely no issues with him. He's an animal and a player that offensive coordinators have to plan for. Oh yeah, to this point the Bengals have paid him $870,000 of which $1000 was guaranteed.

With how little he has been paid to this point, when you incorporate his first two seasons into however long the extension is, they will still be getting him on the cheap over the long run. Just pay him already.

They have the cap space and a sh*t ton of other free agents coming due in the next two years.

If they keep shelving talks on everyone, they will end up losing more players.

I still think it gets done, but I don't like the way things have gone to this point.

Just to recap:

• Cap space: about $25 million
  • Andy Dalton: extension talks continue, conflicting reports about success.

Man, who would've thought Peko would turn out to be the big extension of 2014? (I know, I know, there's still plenty of time...)

EXACTLY!!!

but we are paying Campbell $5M to hold Andy's hand and towel. And we brought Sam Montgomery and Moch back in the fold. & we got another middling white WR, Conner Vernon...

Burfict held out of practice for rest today, probably rest. So where is he? Warner on twitter reports the following as defense stones goal line dives by offense:

"@JustBeWarned: Defense stops Burkhead again, O-line getting little push. Vontaze Burfict very vocal behind the endzone, pats maualuga on back"

So resting for Burfict is showing up and being the vocal leader of the defense. Lock him up now.

• Cap space: about $25 million $16 million
  • Andy Dalton: extension talks continue, conflicting reports about success. DONE :sure:

OK, Katie, time to get the maniac on defense nailed down.

ramifications of Dalton deal mean they can/should pay Burfict elite money for his production. Laurinitits is a good example to sketch for Burfict.

*James Laurinaitis signed a 5 year / $41.50 million contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $13,620,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $8,300,000.

/>http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/james-laurinaitis/

If I am Burfict's agent, that's the target.

Danell Ellerbe is another to examine: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/dannell-ellerbe/

Again, I just think when they throw some reasonable money at him, he will bite.

Why take the chance at nothing if an injury occurs to gain only slightly more ??

Get him close and I think they will get it done.

A signing bonus of at least 2 million and a guaranteed 12-14 million ??

Oh no, i'd rather risk injury and play out my contract for $570,000 and snatch up that $333.00 prorated portion of my signing bonus.

His signing bonus alone will be more than what his whole rookie contract was worth.

This really shouldn't be that difficult.

• 3 weeks later...
With Andy Dalton taken care of, the Bengals are moving on to other business.

The next in line is weakside linebacker, who has agreed to a multi-year extension with the team, according to Adam Caplan of ESPN. Adam Schefter says it’s a four-year, $20 million deal, with $7.6 million this year.

He was entering the final year of his contract, but would have been a restricted free agent next year.

While many were scared off of Burfict before the draft because of off-field concerns, the Bengals rolled the dice and found a consistent performer after signing him as an undrafted rookie in 2012.

Now he’s been rewarded, and they continue to lock up the core of a good, young team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/20/bengals-reach-a-new-deal-with-vontaze-burfict/

Good news!

So 5 years he'll get total of 20million? Seems like Epic deal for bengals kinda low for Vontez but he does get it now vs later.

Great news indeed.

If you had told me we would be able to lock up one of the best LB's in the league at an average of 5 million per year, I would have laughed at you.

Seeing it actually come to pass is simply amazing.

I did mention earlier though that I expected it to get done and thought if they threw enough money at him, he would jump.

Nice to see Katie and Co. continuing to make solid moves.

I'll be shaking my head tomorrow still wondering how they made this happen at that price.

Awesome news to end a pretty good day already !!!

As Dehner pointed out on twitter it's a sort of stop-gap deal. Burfict gets a nice payday, versus playing for about $2 million over the next two years, and at age 27 will be in his prime next time he is a free agent. That's when he gets his big score.

Y'know, I like Coley Harvey, really, I do. But stuff like this...

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/10256/bengals-vontaze-burfict-show-me-phase-career

...just makes me go, wut?

Burfict has nothing to prove, you blockhead.