DL LaKendrick Ross

HoosierCat

Hey, there's actual NFL activity this Thursday: the supplemental draft! There are four players in it this year, one of whom is a small-school defensive line prospect, LaKendrick Ross.

He had his pro day Monday and drew interest from 11 teams (none of which was named "Bengals"). The guy is obviously a prospect, but he's a frikkin' monster: 6-5, 360 (muscle, not fat), reportedly benched 225 47 times at his workout and has an almost 7-foot wingspan.

I wouldn't mind the Bengals throwing a six or seven at the guy. Geno's coming off injury, Peko is going into his 9th year and Devon Still hasn't impressed. It wouldn't hurt to try to start building up some depth.

Faith Hill is available in the supplemental draft, go get her. Carrie Underwood heads for a stint on the pup list, then injury (to my eyeballs from watching her) settlement and she's gone. Sunday Night Football gets vastly improved.

Oh yea, also, small school guy from somewhere beat up on a bunch of stiffs, take a chance someone!

For your consideration, the most ridiculous article ever published on nfl.com:

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364030/article/2014-nfl-supplemental-mock-draft

Wouldn't it have been MUCH easier to just say the teams that they thought were going to take those players and in which round ??

Yeah, PASS...

Aaaand...no one got picked.

/>http://wompwompwomp.com/

Do they need to go back and revise that article to include two more "PASS" indicators or will that require an entirely new article to reflect the change ??

Well, considering they got all but two picks right through seven rounds, I think they're good. :lol:

Aaaand...no one got picked.

/>http://wompwompwomp.com/

Do they need to go back and revise that article to include two more "PASS" indicators or will that require an entirely new article to reflect the change ??

Well, considering they got all but two picks right through seven rounds, I think they're good. :lol:

BWAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA !!!!

Good one !!!

:lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

Done!

/>https://twitter.com/DRobinson_Elite/status/491282437700218880

Welcome to the Jungle, big man!

ETA: Hard not to root for this guy. Makes Michael Oher's pre-NFL life seem like a walk in the park.

/>http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/7/10/5884089/lakendrick-ross-nfl-supplemental-draft-2014

Hobson has a blurb on Ross in his latest mailbag:

Geoff, I enjoy your coverage of my Bengals. Keep up the good work. My question- What are the chances LaKendrick Ross makes this team? Does he look like a likely PS fit or does he just not have what it takes to make it in the NFL because of his lack of experience playing football? He is a very intriguing guy, to say the least. Thanks, Rick LaRue, Lawrenceville, PA

RICK: Thank you for dropping me a line. If Ross makes the team, it would be the most stunning thing in Bengaldom since Jeff Blake came off the bench to throw two bombs against the Super Bowl champion Cowboys.

That’s right. Oct. 30, 1994. About six months after Ross was born. And that’s what makes it virtually impossible for him to make the 53-man roster. Not only are they teaching him things the other guys were taught when they were in grade school, but he’s just so young. As you read today, defensive line coach Jay Hayes had to show him the right stance. That’s really Football 101 without the amenities of the Marvin Lewis Community Fund.

But if there’s a perfect practice squad guy, Ross would have to be it, wouldn’t he? He’s got all the physical specifications for NFL defensive tackle and more. Plus, he seems to have a great attitude. Very eager to learn and willing to listen to the older guys.

And that’s another thing he and the Bengals have going for them. They have such a great group of guys, particularly on the defensive line, he’ll get the mentoring he needs instead of the cold shoulder.

You are so right. Intriguing is the word. He’ll have to show in games that he’s worthy to develop and he’s already talked about his challenge. Can he mesh that massive physical potential with the subtle, little technique things? I’d love to see him get a year to find out on the practice squad and not just a month, but its all how he plays in the August games.

That's about what I expected, but I think that it's going to be very hard not to sign him to the PS unless he's just terrible, and it doesn't sound like that's the case.

There are plenty of good arguments out there for moving on from Marvin Lewis, but one of the advantages of stability at HC is the ability to take a chance on a guy like Lakendrick. He's going to need a year, maybe two, on the PS just because he's so raw. And the number of NFL coaches who can count on still being employed by their current team in two or three years (assuming they still want the job) is probably two: Bill Belicheck and Marvin Lewis. So most coaches don't bother with guys like Ross. Why develop a guy for the next coach?

If I read that article correctly, Ross just turned 20 years old in May.

Good God he's young. Even with two years of coaching we are talking about a 22 year old.

I can't see him making the final 53 either, but he's intriguing.

It's players like him that make the preseason fun for me.

When else will you see him actually play in a game ??

That's a good point about continuity. It's often overlooked now. It also applies to Andy Dalton. But I can't get behind him regardless of his statistical achievements and winning percentage until he reduces the turnovers. Now, look, I've turned it into a Dalton thread... Just like the media.