General Training Camp Thread

HoosierCat

For those interested in going.

/>http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/07/02/bengals-release-training-camp-schedule/12074877/

THURSDAY, JULY 24

--Gates open at 2:30 p.m.

--Practice at 3 p.m.

FRIDAY, JULY 25

--Practice begins at 3 p.m.

SATURDAY, JULY 26

SUNDAY, JULY 27

MONDAY, JULY 28

WEDNESDAY, JULY 30

THURSDAY, JULY 31

FRIDAY, AUG. 1

--Gates open at 5:30 p.m.

--Practice begins at 6 p.m.

SATURDAY, AUG. 2 (FAMILY DAY AT PAUL BROWN STADIUM)

--Gates open at 12:30 p.m.

--Practice begins at 1:30 p.m.

MONDAY, AUG. 4

TUESDAY, AUG. 5

--Gates open at 10:45 a.m.

--Practice begins at 11:15 a.m.

SATURDAY, AUG. 9 (FAMILY DAY AT PAUL BROWN STADIUM)

--Gates open at 2 p.m.

MONDAY, AUG. 11

TUESDAY, AUG. 12

WEDNESDAY, AUG. 13

THURSDAY, AUG. 14

--Gates open at 10:45 a.m.

--Practice begins at 11:15 a.m.

Bengals Training Camp, presented by Fifth Third Bank, returns to Paul Brown Stadium for the third straight year in 2014, with numerous open practices between July 24 and Aug. 14. Those practices will be free to the public and will offer access to the team, including increased autograph opportunities, which is not available later in the season.

Most practices will be held on the practice fields just west of PBS. The exceptions will be two "Family Day" practice events inside PBS, on consecutive Saturdays (Aug. 2 and 9). These practice days will feature enhanced attractions for children.

Seating capacity for the practice fields will include 1250 bleacher seats, plus additional room for fans to stand along the sidelines. No passes will be required to enter.

For each session on the practice fields, the first 53 fans who show a Fifth Third Bank debit card or credit card will be upgraded to the Fifth Third Reserved Bleacher Seats. This promotion does not apply to the two practices inside the stadium.

Fans will be allowed to bring small soft-sided coolers, unopened bottles of water and food into all practices. Concessions and Bengals merchandise will be available to purchase. No chairs or other temporary seating will be permitted.

At the conclusion of every practice on the practice fields, groups of players will be available for autographs for 15 minutes after practice ends. For the safety of pedestrians, no autographs will be permitted as players enter or leave the practice fields. At the conclusion of the Family Day practices inside PBS, the entire roster of players will be available for autographs after practice ends.

Parking for all practices is available in the public parking lots located adjacent to PBS, at established prices.

Hobson goes through his top five roster battles:

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Five-live-roster-jousts/2fcdceac-afce-411a-924f-91e74a5adee4

His choices...my take:

FULLBACK: Orson Charles vs. Nikita Whitlock...how about neither, get a real FB?

WIDE RECEIVER: Dane Sanzenbacher vs. Cobi Hamilton vs. James Wright vs. Ryan Whalen...battle of the bench-sitters!

SAFETY: Taylor Mays vs. Danieal Manning...meh. Less of a battle, more of a slap fight.

LINEBACKER: Jayson DiManche vs. Sean Porter vs. J.K. Schaffer vs. Marquis Flowers vs. Brandon Joiner...Porter wins. Next.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Trevor Robinson vs. Trey Hopkins vs. Will Svitek vs. T.J. Johnson...Robinson. WTF is the question here?

• Like 1

FULLBACK: Orson Charles vs. Nikita Whitlock...how about neither, get a real FB?

WIDE RECEIVER: Dane Sanzenbacher vs. Cobi Hamilton vs. James Wright vs. Ryan Whalen...battle of the bench-sitters!

SAFETY: Taylor Mays vs. Danieal Manning...meh. Less of a battle, more of a slap fight.

LINEBACKER: Jayson DiManche vs. Sean Porter vs. J.K. Schaffer vs. Marquis Flowers vs. Brandon Joiner...Porter wins. Next.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Trevor Robinson vs. Trey Hopkins vs. Will Svitek vs. T.J. Johnson...Robinson. WTF is the question here?

FB: Yes, would prefer a true FB. No, I have no faith they will make the right decision. (See Charles over Connor last season)

WR: Of those, who brings the most to the table ?? Teams HAS to be a fairly big consideration here.

SAFETY: I don't think Mays makes it. He seemed to find more of a role at LB, but that's out. Manning was brought in by our new secondary coach as well.

LINEBACKER: Porter is still the guy I am most intrigued at seeing take the field and think he wins that spot easily.

O-LINE: Yeah, Robinson should be that guy.

This rumor that KWebb married that mouth breather from Alabama cannot be true, it can't, and if it is I still refuse to believe it.

Look on the bright side, in a few months she will have even more money when she dumps him and takes half of his stuff.

Good point, there is a bright side to this after all.

This rumor that KWebb married that mouth breather from Alabama cannot be true, it can't, and if it is I still refuse to believe it.

Look on the bright side, in a few months she will have even more money when she dumps him and takes half of his stuff.

Good point, there is a bright side to this after all.

Im just having one of my glass half full kind of days.

I didn't want to start a new thread about my evening and thought I would just throw it in here and remotely relate it.

Getting autographs at camp is cool. There, I related to the thread.

Tonight I went to a charity softball game where a bunch of former and current Bengals played against a bunch of "celebrities" some I had no idea who they were. The current players were Vinny Rey, Orson Charles, Cedric Peerman, and Emanuel Lamur. I was wearing a Bengals hat and got three autographs while there. Current guys ?? Nope. I got Kenny Anderson, James Brooks, and David Fulcher to sign the hat. There were some others there like Jim Breech and Ickey Woods, but I was thrilled about those three in particular. My son didn't get my excitement, but he will when he gets older.

Nice evening overall !!!

I didn't want to start a new thread about my evening and thought I would just throw it in here and remotely relate it.

Getting autographs at camp is cool. There, I related to the thread.

Tonight I went to a charity softball game where a bunch of former and current Bengals played against a bunch of "celebrities" some I had no idea who they were. The current players were Vinny Rey, Orson Charles, Cedric Peerman, and Emanuel Lamur. I was wearing a Bengals hat and got three autographs while there. Current guys ?? Nope. I got Kenny Anderson, James Brooks, and David Fulcher to sign the hat. There were some others there like Jim Breech and Ickey Woods, but I was thrilled about those three in particular. My son didn't get my excitement, but he will when he gets older.

Nice evening overall !!!

Wow, three of my favorite players right there. Now go get Ken Riley and Isaac Curtis and it is complete from the early years of my fandom.

On another side note, each time I saw one of the current players go after a ball or come up to hit, I kept thinking, "don't get hurt, don't get hurt".

Even though it was for a good cause, I can't see that as something that would go over very well with the front office.

Mike Tanier looks at some interesting stats in his column this week.

/>http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/85489990/nfl-training-camp-stats-no-huddle-shotgun-quarterback-runs#!bjc7nN

I thought Nos. 6, 7 and 9 were the most interesting. I thought this was a great idea:

I am forever fascinated with the uncounted and essentially random events that have a huge impact on everything from championships to player reputations. A completion that becomes an interception is a receiver error, but it is also dumb luck; guys like A.J. Green, Antonio Brown, Jordy Nelson and Golden Tate were among the perpetrators, and it's not like you can solve the problem by not throwing to those guys. Fumble recoveries are truly random (forced fumbles are not, which is subtle and important), as are 55-yard field goals made and 30-yarders missed by an opponent, once blocks and minor weather effects are filtered out. Football is full of blind-luck plays that change the outcomes of seasons. Predicting what happens in future weeks is often a matter of filtering out any unsustainable and unpredictable nonsense that occurred in past weeks.

Someday, I am going to collate all of the fluky opponent field goals, tipped interceptions, fumbles that bounced weird ways, opponent's third-string quarterbacks making their first start and other factors no team can control into a "Luck Index," then rank the luckiest teams. Chances are, several playoff teams will rank as "lucky," and won't it be swell fun debating those rankings with the local fans?

Luck is a four-letter word, of course. Some teams have more random factors go their way than others, and the difference often manifests in the final standings. Those are statistical facts, not fightin' words.

So I'm skimming MMQB this morning and King has his camp schedule laid out. He'll be in Cincy August 4, and at the Cincy-KC preseason tilt on the 7th. But what caught my eye was this:

As of now, but subject to change, I am missing Pittsburgh (though I will pine for Latrobe, my favorite camp site in the league), the New York Jets, New England and Oakland.

Has anyone alerted the Pro Football Writers of America Coverage Enforcement Division of this??? My understanding is that under article 3, section 4, paragraph B of the Media Fluff Rules, no sportswriter is permitted to skip coverage of Pittsburgh or New England. At least one complete blowjob article of not less than 1,000 words about Tom Brady and how he is the greatest QB to ever have lived is mandatory prior to the season start. Violators face potential fines or expulsion from PFWA. Same goes for Pittsburgh, where at least one article about how the Rooneys run the league's best front office has to be done. King is treading on very dangerous ground here...

And here we go, fellas: the first injury report of the year is out. 12 guys initially, 3 more may join tomorrow. And we haven't even had a practice yet...sigh.

The following players have been put on the active/PUP list ahead of camp:

Geno Atkins (ACL)

Leon Hall (Achilles)

Kevin Huber (neck)

Clint Boling (ACL).

Ryan Whalen (hamstring) (OH FRACK WE'RE DOOMED 0-16 HERE WE COME!!!!)

Colin Locket (hamstring)

Marquis Flowers (hamstring)

Devon Still (back

Zach Minter (back)

Listed on active/non-football injury:

Marvin Jones (ankle)

AJ McCarron (shoulder)

Onterio McCalebb (knee).

Sez Hobs: "Indications are Jones’ injury is a tweak and the move is precautionary. McCarron is apparently still being heavily scrutinized after missing the first portion of the spring workouts with shoulder tightness."

Guys who could join these guys on the sideline:

Jermaine Gresham (unknown)

Tyler Eifert (shoulder)

Mike Pollak (knee)

They are all scheduled for physicals tomorrow. They also cut rookie free-agent receiver Alex Neutz to make room for Lakendrick Ross.