More Bulletin Board Material from Gil Brandt

HoosierCat

So nfl.com senior (moment) analyst Gil Brandt predicts that the Bengals will be one of the teams to take a step back in 2014 because...well, I'm not sure.

Suffering three consecutive first-round flameouts in the playoffs -- as the Bengals have done -- can really affect a team's psyche and perhaps make players apprehensive.

Wha? Y'know, I can see something like that possibly having an impact in a 2014 first-round playoff game, but by the same logic, wouldn't making the playoffs for three straight years really affect a team's psyche and perhaps make players confident?

Of course, that's the last thing Cincinnati needs heading into 2014, with a tougher schedule on the horizon and new offensive and defensive coordinators taking over.

The schedule isn't any tougher and as for the coordinators, let's jump ahead in the article to...

Their replacements -- Hue Jackson and Paul Guenther, respectively -- are both NFL veterans who were promoted from within, but they're still new to these specific jobs with this specific team; such changes almost inevitably involve some level of adjustment.

So they will have trouble because they have two veteran coordinators? And Gil, you might want to check Hue's resume, you may find he's been OC before...

First, the Bengals figure to face stiffer competition within the AFC North, as both the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers -- their opponents for, respectively, the season opener and regular-season finale -- will be better than they were in 2013.

Based on...? I'm not seeing any reason to believe Baltimore and Pitt will be any tougher.

The Bengals also face a three-game midseason road stretch -- against the New Orleans Saints, Houston Texans and Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- that promises to be difficult.

I'll give you NO, but Tampa may or may not be any good and Houston just named Harvard's Finest its QB

Andy Dalton -- who, like Smith, is in the last year of his contract -- is just good enough to get the Bengals on the edge of winning but doesn't seem able to take them any farther.

Right. They won't reach the playoffs because they have a QB who reached the playoffs for the last three years straight. Logic, how does it work?

And quarterback isn't the only position surrounded by question marks: Rookie cornerback Darqueze Dennard really has to do well, as Adam Jones and Terence Newman are getting up there in age and Leon Hall is coming off an Achilles tear. Defensive rock Geno Atkins, meanwhile, is dealing with his own recovery from ACL surgery.

Obviously Gil missed the piece yesterday about the secondary. And Geno is a cause for concern BUT they got to the playoffs last year without him.

I think Cincy is in line to top the disappointment of the past three years by missing out on the playoffs altogether.

OK Gil. Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know many here feel the same way and I don't fault anyone for sharing that opinion whatsoever.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and hearing sometimes allows for considering something I hadn't thought of before.

That being said, I still feel this is a playoff team in 2014.

No, I don't agree that any of the other AFCN teams have done something substantially more than the Bengals to be so afraid of and doubt 2014.

No, I don't agree that the new coordinators are a liability. They came from inside the organization and I think will either maintain or improve.

There are concerns with the age of the secondary, lack of Kirk developing, and a rookie, but it's not my biggest concern. That rating was too high though.

I think the schedule presents some tough challenges for sure and the end of the schedule and bye week don't help.

Suffering 3 straight first round playoff losses can also motivate the hell out of a team, so there's that flip to the coin to consider as well.

In regards to the team as a whole, I simply don't think they've lost anything from last year and will be right there in the end.

11-5 or 10-6. I would go as high as 12-4, but simply don't see a losing season out of this team.

I know many here feel the same way and I don't fault anyone for sharing that opinion whatsoever.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and hearing sometimes allows for considering something I hadn't thought of before.

I think there are plenty of people who doubt they can win a playoff game, primarily because of Dalton, but I think the number of fans who think they can't get back to the postseason is much, much smaller. In fact, for many who would rather go in a different direction at QB (like my buddy Joe Goodberry), that seems to be the fear: that the Bengals are in "QB purgatory," having a guy who is good enough to get to the playoffs but not good enough to win them.

But in any event, I can come up with reasons why they might slip back, but none of them resemble Gil's.

I think most of us could come up with a myriad of reasons the team will or won't succeed this season.

For myself, I just try to think what is most probable.

I don't take simply say since they have a history of not playing well on opening day and in prime time games, that they are automatically going to lose those games this season. I get what people say, but don't agree with that argument. Once upon a time, this team had never drafted a first round CB until they did again and again. Never drafted a first round OG until they did. Never went to the playoffs three straight seasons until they did.

I hope the "until they did" happens with Dalton and the playoffs this year.

If it doesn't, then much like last year, I will guess he won't be the only reason for that result.

If I had to name my top concerns, it would be noobs and injury issues on the o-line, and a drop in d-line production due to MJ leaving. The latter doesn't really bother me all that much, but the former makes me very nervous. But still overall I don't see any reason to expect a down year. Certainly not because they got a trauma last January!

Until the D finds a way to play as well in the playoffs as they do during the regular season, I don't see any hope

Well, it'd help if Dalton and the O played a little better too. ;)

One thing that tends to get downplayed is just how banged-up they were on D last year. Lamur was gone before the season. Geathers went out early and for all the crap he gets, he's a solid run defender, and that was the heart of their problem last year. Mays got knocked out just when he was starting to finally click. Geno and Hall were long gone by the playoffs last year too, and Newman missed the game as well.

They need some better injury luck this season.

If I had to name my top concerns, it would be noobs and injury issues on the o-line, and a drop in d-line production due to MJ leaving. The latter doesn't really bother me all that much, but the former makes me very nervous. But still overall I don't see any reason to expect a down year. Certainly not because they got a trauma last January!

My biggest concern falls squarely on the shoulders on the O-line.

Who starts at Center ?? Who starts at LG ?? Boling isn't back from the knee injury and most weren't real pleased with him to start with. What about the possibility of Bodine starting at Center from day one ?? While he might be "the man", that would concern me. Do they open up holes for a running game that is supposed to be improved ?? Do they pass protect well enough to give Dalton the time he needs ??

The other new guys aren't really "needed" to start day one, so i'm not as concerned about them. MJ leaving never did and never will concern me all that much. Gilberry had 7.5 sacks in a limited role. Geathers will be back. Hunt is in year two. They drafted another DE. One change that I liked to see was that Moch was brought back and put back in the DE spot. That is his natural position that he played all through college and his speed certainly intrigues me. Moving him to LB from day one I always thought was a mistake. He might fade out, but i'm interested to see what happens with him.

Injuries suck balls.

Until the D finds a way to play as well in the playoffs as they do during the regular season, I don't see any hope

That seems to be a trend with this team and no one is immune from that particular criticism.

Dalton, the rest of the offense, the defense and the coaching staff.

Maybe even the fans that like to sit quietly like they are at a ballet as opposed to a football game.

I just don't get it, we deal with this every year....the Bengals are going to step back because: (2011) they have a rookie QB and not enough talent, (2012) because they barely squeaked into the playoffs in 2011 and haven't made back to back playoffs (non-strike) since the inception of the franchise, (2013) they can't beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore, (2014) because we are trying to think of some sort of reasons and we are starting to throw out crap that just doesn't make sense.

Secondary a ?, well Sherlock (directed at the talking heads not anyone on this board), they won the damn division without Leon Hall last year are you honestly saying the secondary is going to be worse than last year? There is not one shred of evidence to support that in fact most of the evidence supports that they have a stronger secondary than last year which was the best pass defense in the AFC. Worse case scenario is that they remain about where they were last year and that will be just fine with me.

Geno Atkins is coming back from an injury....which is somehow worse than him missing 2/3rds of the season entirely? Give me a break.

Lost both coordinators...ok Zimmer I will give you, but Paulie G was Zimmers' right hand man the last few seasons and the players are static so shouldn't be any drop off there unless you are saying Paul Guenther is completely incompetent (because all anyone should have to do with this group is not screw them up). As for Hue....Hue is > than Jay, Hue is the #1 reason why I am optimistic about the offense because Jay couldn't adjust his program to the players around him....Hue can and Hue knows enough to put Dalton into a place where he can succeed rather than forcing him to throw 40 times a game.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are better....based off of what exactly? Pittsburgh if anything has a LESS talented group than last year and Baltimore is going to get better by adding Steve Smith??? really?. If there is one team that will make strides in the division IMHO it is Cleveland but I still think we have the superior roster.

Losing in the first round has....I'll take "made them angry and more focused" for $200 Alex. There is no chance that this group is going to be less focused than last year, none.

12-4 and the genius' that are predicting a down Bengals' season can go suck eggs for the fourth season in a row.

I just don't get it, we deal with this every year....the Bengals are going to step back because: (2011) they have a rookie QB and not enough talent, (2012) because they barely squeaked into the playoffs in 2011 and haven't made back to back playoffs (non-strike) since the inception of the franchise, (2013) they can't beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore, (2014) because we are trying to think of some sort of reasons and we are starting to throw out crap that just doesn't make sense.

Yup. I chalk it up to the media narrative. The Bengals are "supposed" to stink and Baltimore and Pitt are "supposed" to be good. What actually happens isn't a consideration.

AND the nfl.com douchebaggery continues! This time it's Gregg Rosenthal, who can't write a piece extolling the talents of Marvin Jones without irrationally crapping on Andy Dalton at every turn. I mean seriously, here is the first f*cking sentence:

Marvin Jones is an uncommon talent trapped by a common name and a common quarterback.

Wha? So Jones' play is 100% him, 0% Dalton? I guess the fact he's the second WR to finish ranked in FO's top 10 in three years with Dalton as his QB is just happenstance. Six sentences later:

He never gives up on a pass, no matter how wayward the throw from Andy Dalton.

Never mind that in all the video highlights he provides we don't see much if anything in the way of wayward passes. Then we get this howler a few paragraphs later:

The Bengals have two deep threats to go with a quarterback who struggles to throw deep. This is troubling, and there's no denying that Dalton's development is paramount to Jones' success. It's hard to reach 1,000 yards just off spectacular diving catches.

And the play he uses to illustrate this assertion? The 49 yard bomb to Jones on 2nd and 19 just before the first half two minute warning in the playoff game against SD. A perfect toss, perfect catch...and then Gio coughs up the ball the next play.

And then we end with:

Even the most common name and common quarterback shouldn't stop Jones' ascendancy.

Douchebag.

Well...let it be motivation.

I have my doubts too. And aside from the poorly written logical assumptions, I can see where the apprehension is.

However, I have to be honest that when I think of this season, I can't get past Hue Jackson, his demeanor, his approach, and the thought of Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard. I'm looking forward to see how we can "impose our will".

I didn't see any mention of the improved run game and the extra emphasis on it and how that can help Andy.

Really ?? Really ?? Don't try to be original, that might hurt.

Look, I know there are people that absolutely H-A-T-E, HATE Andy Dalton and don't care to hear anything else.

That's fine and I don't come here to say how I think their opinion sucks and how wrong they are.

However, I don't understand that line of thought at all.

I can recognize that Dalton has the ability to win playoffs games and more, while still admitting that he hasn't lived up to that potential and needs to improve if that's going to happen. To totally dismiss him is a mistake in my opinion. Seeing articles written where someone wants to continue to take jabs like that is just lazy.

"Common" ?? That's it ??

Not just douchebag.

LAZY douchebag.

Oh yeah, someone remind me how many combined Super Bowls have been won by:

Ryan

Stafford

Rivers

Cutler

Romo

Newton

Luck

Griffin

Kaepernick

My thing is EVERY quarterback in the league needs weapons. EVERY. No one QB does it by themselves, so the argument about Dalton needs weapons and blocking to be successful is equally lazy to me. How did the last Super Bowl go for Manning ?? What did the Broncos do in the offseason ?? Yeah, improved the players around him.

However, I have to be honest that when I think of this season, I can't get past Hue Jackson, his demeanor, his approach, and the thought of Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard. I'm looking forward to see how we can "impose our will".

I didn't see any mention of the improved run game and the extra emphasis on it and how that can help Andy.

I know exactly what you mean. I keep looking at Hue's stint as Raiders OC in 2010. The rushing game was just insane: 500+ attempts, nearly 2,500 yards, an average of almost 5 yards a pop. If Campbell hadn't gotten hurt and if they had even a semblance of a defense, that team could have gone deep into the postseason. I don't expect Hue to go quite that far in running the ball, he has way more receiving talent here than he had there, but nothing would help this team more than a real ground game.

I know exactly what you mean. I keep looking at Hue's stint as Raiders OC in 2010. The rushing game was just insane: 500+ attempts, nearly 2,500 yards, an average of almost 5 yards a pop. If Campbell hadn't gotten hurt and if they had even a semblance of a defense, that team could have gone deep into the postseason. I don't expect Hue to go quite that far in running the ball, he has way more receiving talent here than he had there, but nothing would help this team more than a real ground game.

Exactly. When considering what Hue would like to do in the running game and the amount of receiving targets Dalton has, would anyone really be surprised if Marvin Jones DIDN'T reach 1000 yards this season ?? If he doesn't, it won't be because Dalton is "common", it will be because the emphasis on the running game and how many receiving threats there are on the team. Oh, and don't dismiss what Hill can do catching the ball either.

My thing is EVERY quarterback in the league needs weapons. EVERY.

Yup. And I have no problem with the notion that Jones' numbers might be even better if he had an elite QB throwing to him. But you can say that for 20-25 other teams in the league, too. I'm just fed up with the endless harping on it in (it seems like) every article on the Bengals I read. Like you said, lazy.

There are so many things going on with position battles that there is plenty to write about and they have nothing to do with Dalton.

However, that's not what you get. You get what we saw in the above article. Sort of like this:

There will be a new emphasis on the running game with Hue Jackson, but they have a sh*tty QB handing them the ball, so don't expect much.

The Bengals have a really good two tight end team, but they have a QB that can't get them the ball.

The Bengals have one of the best WR's in the game, but their QB can't throw the ball anywhere near him.

The Bengals have one of the top defenses in the league and it's a good thing because their QB is so mediocre.

The Bengals have new coordinators that really have their work cut out for them because of the lack of talent at the QB position.

The Bengals have great new additions to the weight room and player technology. Lets hope their QB taken advantage of them.

The Bengals have really clean towels and when they finally get rid of their crappy QB, maybe he can do that job for them.

And so on and so on. It's f*cking endless.

Don't worry about any of those spots in and of themselves. Just worry about how Dalton is going to ruin them.

Again, if you just hate Dalton that's fine, but that crap is annoying.

I happen to like Marvin Lewis, but where is the outrage when looking at his "lack of" over a great period of time ??

Me liking him doesn't cover up what has been anything but a stellar coaching career here in Cincinnati.

It's just better than it ever was in the 90's. I'm happy for that, but still waiting on another trip back to and hopefully win a Super Bowl.

Maybe i'm just in a bad mood today.

:finger:

I happen to like Marvin Lewis, but where is the outrage when looking at his "lack of" over a great period of time ??

Me liking him doesn't cover up what has been anything but a stellar coaching career here in Cincinnati.

It's just better than it ever was in the 90's. I'm happy for that, but still waiting on another trip back to and hopefully win a Super Bowl.

:finger:/>

You're allowed. :)

On Marvin (and out coaching in general), I noticed something the other day I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere. It may not be significant, but when you look back at how San Diego beat the Bengals last January, it's strikingly similar to how the Jets beat the Bengals in the playoffs in 2009. For example:

Rivers: 12-16/128 with 1 TD and 0 INT. Long of 33.

Sanchez: 12-15/182 with 1 TD and 0 INT. Long of 45

SD rushing (vs. No. 3 ranked D): 40/196/2

NYJ rushing (vs. No. 4 ranked D): 41/172/2

Cincy's stats are a bit different, they ran more and passed less versus the Jets, but the results were the same. Against SD, Cincy had 4 drives end in picks or fumbles. Against the Jets, 3 drives were killed the same way (though they got to punt on one because Leonard recovered Palmer's fumble with an 18 yard loss). Against SD, the Bengals turned it over on downs twice. Against the Jets they did it three times (counting the two missed FGs).

Bottom line, this thing where the D slumps on the big stage and the O goes into trainwreck mode isn't unique to the Dalton era.

There are so many things going on with position battles that there is plenty to write about and they have nothing to do with Dalton.

However, that's not what you get. You get what we saw in the above article. Sort of like this:

There will be a new emphasis on the running game with Hue Jackson, but they have a sh*tty QB handing them the ball, so don't expect much.

The Bengals have a really good two tight end team, but they have a QB that can't get them the ball.

The Bengals have one of the best WR's in the game, but their QB can't throw the ball anywhere near him.

The Bengals have one of the top defenses in the league and it's a good thing because their QB is so mediocre.

The Bengals have new coordinators that really have their work cut out for them because of the lack of talent at the QB position.

The Bengals have great new additions to the weight room and player technology. Lets hope their QB taken advantage of them.

The Bengals have really clean towels and when they finally get rid of their crappy QB, maybe he can do that job for them.

And so on and so on. It's f*cking endless.

Don't worry about any of those spots in and of themselves. Just worry about how Dalton is going to ruin them.

Again, if you just hate Dalton that's fine, but that crap is annoying.

:finger:/>

Well, you had me literally LOL! Hilarious. Hope your day goes better. Don't forget to exit by passing through the morgue.

I am outraged by Marvin's track record in big games and the playoffs. I advocated firing him after 2007 in these parts. He's still here. I could go full Rosenthal and be ginormous douche about that, but instead will hope that this time around, Marvin has figured it out.