AJ Green Contract Watch

HoosierCat

Broncos have reportedly made Demaryius Thomas an offer. No details beyond its a five-year deal but everyone expects $10 million+ a year.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000358725/article/broncos-reportedly-offer-demaryius-thomas-5year-deal?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Thomas and Green are a decent comparison. Their numbers are very similar, though Thomas has been in the league 1 more year. But he didn't do much his first year. Over the last two seasons they are very close, both about 2,400 yards and 22-24 TDs.

Here's a look at the market from an ex-agent:

/>http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/How-much-is-Demaryius-Thomas-worth.html

The 2010 first round pick is in a select group of wide receivers (Dez Bryant, A.J. Green and Julio Jones) whose rookie contracts expire at the end of the 2014 or 2015 season that will likely look to top the five-year, $60 million contract (includes $30 million in guarantees) Mike Wallace received from the Miami Dolphins last year as a free agent. Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald set the wide receiver market on long term deals averaging slightly more than $16 million per year containing in excess of $45 million in guarantees.

Reaching Johnson/Fitzgerald’s salary levels probably isn’t realistic for these players, but Percy Harvin’s five-year extension averaging $12,843,500 per year (with $25.5 million in guarantees) that was signed after the Seattle Seahawks acquired him from the Minnesota Vikings in a 2013 trade could be another important salary benchmark. Besides the two outliers, Johnson and Fitzgerald, Dwayne Bowe’s five-year, $56 million deal (including $26 million in guarantees) with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2013 is the richest contract (by average yearly salary) for a wide receiver that re-signed with his own team.

• 4 weeks later...

No word on Thomas just yet but Jimmy "I should be paid like a WR not a TE" Graham just got a $10 million/year deal.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/7/15/5901125/jimmy-graham-and-saints-reach-deal-becomes-nfls-highest-paid-tight-end

Nope, it won't.

And speaking of new contracts...isn't it about time for the "timing" to be right on some new deals? Last I checked, the team still has like $25 million in cap space. But I haven't heard a peep on either the Dalton or Burfict fronts and they have apparently decided not to do Green until 2015. And then there's all the others -- something like 75% of the team is a FA in 2015 or 2016.

But hey, what do I know. Obviously not how hard it is to run an NFL franchise...

So if the best TE in the league is worth 10 million per year with more than half guaranteed, what's a top 3 WR going to cost ??

Here's a hint: It won't be cheap !!!

Green's new contract will be the highest ever for a WR. >>>>> write that down

The cap will have gone up dramatically, other WRs will also be up for new deals, Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffry, Demarius Thomas, Julio Jones....

I have a feeling Green's next deal will top those others.

The cap going up is going to play into that as well, I agree.

We can't forget (and you know the FO isn't) that just last spring Calvin Johnson got a deal of:

7 years, $132 million, $60 million guaranteed

I don't know where they are thinking about coming in with a Green deal, but yeah, it's going to be expensive.

• 2 weeks later...