What Does Dalton Need to Do to Get Paid?

HoosierCat

12 members have voted

1. 1. What record qualifies Andy for big bucks?

• .500 or worse record, no playoffs
    • winning record, no playoffs
    • winning record, playoff loss (like the last 3 years)
    • 1 playoff win
    • 2-3 playoff wins
    • Super Bowl appearance
    • Super Bowl win
    • Pay him now
    • Move on ASAP

And here's one for COB & Co.: Scott Kascmar sez: Andy Dalton sucks donkey nads and I have the proof!

/>http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/catch-radius-denver-vs-dvoa-vs-dalton

And so today Kascmar follows up with a look at some NFC wide receivers. Just to review, we were told last week that Andy stunk because just 44.9% of passes to Green, and 56.9% to Marvin Jones, were "chest level." Compared to other WRs in the AFC, the duo was catching fewer at chest level and an outsized percentage (28.6% and 19.6% respectively) at "eye level."

It appears there may be an alternate explanation: Dalton just plays in the wrong conference. Let's look at some chest level/eye level numbers in the NFC:

Calvin Johnson: 58.3% / 15.5%

Dez Bryant: 58.1% / 14.0%

Marvin Jones: 56.9% / 19.6%

Julio Jones: 53.7% / 19.5%

Pierre Garcon: 51.3% / 20.4%

Victor Cruz: 47.9% / 21.9%

AJ Green: 44.9% / 28.6%

Desean Jackson: 43.9% / 22%

Jordy Nelson: 43.5% / 20.7%

Hmmm. So, in terms of accuracy (at least using Kascmar's measures) Dalton is in the same league as Aaron Rogers, Tony Romo, Eli Manning and Matty Ice. OK. I can live with that.

This was posted on the other forum.

Mike Brown thinks Dalton should get Kap Money

Geoff Hobson ‏@GeoffHobsonCin 20m

Brown thinks Dalton deal should be in Kaepernick range

Expand

Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr 26m

Mike Brown says team would consider using franchise tag on Dalton should it come to that next year.

Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr 25m

Brown says no deadline on Dalton deal. Wants to get it done, talks continue.

so to recap. Dalton should get around 19-20 mil a year according to Brown. So he's tipping his hand in the negotiations.

They will think of using the Tag and there is no deadline.

If Brown, the owner, truly believes AD should get Kaep money, not sure why it isn't a done deal, unless he hasn't officially offered.

This was posted on the other forum.

Mike Brown thinks Dalton should get Kap Money

Geoff Hobson ‏@GeoffHobsonCin 20m

Brown thinks Dalton deal should be in Kaepernick range

Expand

Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr 26m

Mike Brown says team would consider using franchise tag on Dalton should it come to that next year.

Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr 25m

Brown says no deadline on Dalton deal. Wants to get it done, talks continue.

so to recap. Dalton should get around 19-20 mil a year according to Brown. So he's tipping his hand in the negotiations.

They will think of using the Tag and there is no deadline.

If Brown, the owner, truly believes AD should get Kaep money, not sure why it isn't a done deal, unless he hasn't officially offered.

Because "Kap money" is team friendly and Dalton isn't obligated to making the same type of deal structured that way.

Don't get me wrong, I would be beside myself seeing a deal like Kap's for Dalton, but I don't expect it.

EVERY owner would want their franchise QB to do a deal like that.

Dehner tweeted that Kap's deal caught some attention in the Bengals' FO. So despite initial reports that they weren't all that keen on the structure, it sound like they've warmed to it.

As for Andy, when details of Colin's contract came out, I said the Bengals ought to get a copy, white-out Kap's name, write in Dalton's, push it across the table and hope he's dumb enough to sign it. It appears he's not, but also that the two sides continue to dicker on a friendly basis.

I imagine it caught attention in every front office that is looking to sign their QB to a long term deal.

Something that favors the team and pays the QB if and when they produce and allows the team to move on with little impact if they don't produce.

What's not to like ?? Again, if the QB produces there won't be a single person complaining about the money he earns.

And again, Dalton has zero reason to rush into signing a deal structured that way.

Well, you answered your own question: what's not to like depends on which side of the table you're on.

At a guess, based on Kap's deal, if I were Dalton I would be pushing for more fully guaranteed coin and to throw out the laughable bit where I pay for a $20 million insurance policy for the team in case I get hurt.

I was pointing more to the fans in regards to the "what's not to like" comment.

People like to bash Dalton and say he's not worth the deal that Kap got without even looking at how it was structured.

Laughable.

Agree that I would totally get up from negotiations when told I would need to purchase an insurance policy for the team in case I got hurt.

I don't know what they had on Kap or his agent, but I still can't believe they have that deal with him.

Like I said, every front office trying to sign a new deal with their QB should love that deal.

It just won't happen in this instance. At least not to the same degree.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/7/22/5926841/mike-brown-marvin-lewis-and-katie-blackburn-run-the-franchise

I wonder how much, if any, this will play into contract negotiations??? Will Marvin and Katie run those as well??

Katie has been handling contract negotiations for more than a few years already.

If we are to believe Mike Brown, he has had less control for more than a few years as well.

I know people just love to hate him, but I can't really see a reason to not believe that.

Everyone seems to just gush when talking about how well the Bengals draft and all of that happened when Mike Brown stated he was taking a step back in the day to day operations a handful of years ago. I just think that when things don't go the way any fan thinks they should go, it's just easy to pull out the old standby of "Mike Brown sucks and should step down" card.

I would hate to give people a reason to stop being unreasonable though.

Speaking of propping-up. I just saw this nugget over on PFT:

"People are about to see how good Josh McCown is"

Really ?? He's 35, been in the league forever and this would only be his 2nd opportunity to be a team's starter.

No, we already know how good Josh McCown is and no amount of "propping-up" will change that.

Again, this goes on everywhere and isn't something reserved to the Bengals or one Andy Dalton.