2014 Prediction

gregcook68

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gio's redzone fumble also didn't help matters in the least either.

In regards to the team overall, I agree that the o-line is my concern at the moment and the reason why I wanted Collins to return.

I guess Newhouse is the backup if and when Whit gets dinged, but time will indeed tell how that works out.

I like the fact the team is high on Bodine and think Pollak is the new LG, but we will have to see what that looks like come preseason.

I am hopeful though and can't wait to see what Bodine can do. The dude sounds vicious on the field. Let's hope it translates.

Gio also likes him as well, so that counts for something since he ran behind him in the past.

The WR corps doesn't bother me all that much either. Maybe Cobi gets a chance to show this year. I like what he could do for us.

Eifert is the one I really want to see the big jump from. Last year he was cutting off routes and didn't look real sharp.

If he can clean that up a bit, i'm not worries at all about the receiving on this team.

I might be the high guess at this time, but yeah, 11-5.

As always that can sway, but I don't see a losing record from this team.

With regards to Eifert, I think his shortcomings had more to do with Gruden's lack of imagination than anything else.

Of course, this is just an opinion with no real analysis to back it up.

In regards to the team overall, I agree that the o-line is my concern at the moment and the reason why I wanted Collins to return.

I guess Newhouse is the backup if and when Whit gets dinged, but time will indeed tell how that works out.

I like the fact the team is high on Bodine and think Pollak is the new LG, but we will have to see what that looks like come preseason.

I am hopeful though and can't wait to see what Bodine can do. The dude sounds vicious on the field. Let's hope it translates.

Gio also likes him as well, so that counts for something since he ran behind him in the past.

The WR corps doesn't bother me all that much either. Maybe Cobi gets a chance to show this year. I like what he could do for us.

Eifert is the one I really want to see the big jump from. Last year he was cutting off routes and didn't look real sharp.

If he can clean that up a bit, i'm not worries at all about the receiving on this team.

With regards to Eifert, I think his shortcomings had more to do with Gruden's lack of imagination than anything else.

The one thing I remembered Gruden and a couple of other coaches say during the season, was the main reason he wasn't playing anymore than he was, was because his blocking was still lacking.

The one thing I remembered Gruden and a couple of other coaches say during the season, was the main reason he wasn't playing anymore than he was, was because his blocking was still lacking.

I did not hear much of that past the first couple of weeks into the season.

The one concrete thing I remember hearing from Gruden was something along the lines of "Well, there just aren't enough balls to go around". A.K.A. we're trying to force the ball to certain targets rather than effectively using an offensive strategy that fully employs this GIFT of having two talened TEs.

The one concrete thing I remember hearing from Gruden was something along the lines of "Well, there just aren't enough balls to go around". A.K.A. we're trying to force the ball to certain targets rather than effectively using an offensive strategy that fully employs this GIFT of having two talened TEs.

I also heard Gruden say that, but he did, at some point, mention the blocking. It may have been in an article on the Bengals website.

Did a quick search on Google. Here is an article I found quickly on the concerns of his blocking in college. The article says his blocking opened up in the BCS Championship game, which would have been his last game in college?

Plus, we all know that the transition from college to pros is always going to be tougher regardless.

/>http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/02/22/tyler-eiferts-improved-blocking-has-draft-stock-ri

The one concrete thing I remember hearing from Gruden was something along the lines of "Well, there just aren't enough balls to go around". A.K.A. we're trying to force the ball to certain targets rather than effectively using an offensive strategy that fully employs this GIFT of having two talented TEs.

Eifert caught almost 40 passes, 7 less than Gresham's 46. It's not that I want him to catch more, would rather he track the same numbers but be more prominent in the red zone. If Hue does run the ball in a more balanced attack, and with the departure of Hawkins, Eifert may catch another 5-10 passes but I would like to see him get more looks in the end zone.

Just keep in mind:

2014 Offense Play Calls

Rushes - 481 (29 of which were sacks, which count as rushes)

Passes - 587

45% Run - 55% Pass Ratio

Not to turn this into an Eifert thread, but the Bengals knew well and good that his blocking wasn't the strength of his game.

They didn't care, because the intent was to give Dalton another weapon and Eifert provided just that from a receiving perspective.

Not only that, they apparently had him as the 6th best player in the draft that year and the value was huge sitting in the 20's.

I always figured they would just continue to work on his blocking knowing that wasn't his true role in the offense.

The one concrete thing I remember hearing from Gruden was something along the lines of "Well, there just aren't enough balls to go around". A.K.A. we're trying to force the ball to certain targets rather than effectively using an offensive strategy that fully employs this GIFT of having two talented TEs.

Eifert caught almost 40 passes, 7 less than Gresham's 46. It's not that I want him to catch more, would rather he track the same numbers but be more prominent in the red zone.

I'd be on board with that...

If we believe Hue, then count me in as a happy camper about running the ball more. Can we please see Andy not throw the ball 50 times again. As far as prediction it's way to early but I'll say 9 wins, but I hope it's more. Oh it also dosnt hurt that Andy got some time in with a good QB coach, hope that helped, but yes that playoff loss was on everyone.

Yeah, I think it could go either way this season.

Here's another data point from FO, snap-weighted age. The idea is to take a look at how young/old a team really is by relating age data to snaps taken, so that the numbers don't get skewed by having, say, a 40-year-old kicker and a 38-year-old punter.

For some reason they decided to make the rankings from oldest (1) to youngest (32), which I find confusing, but then again these days I find instructions on gas pumps confusing. :gramps:

The Bengals overall ranked 20th, so a little bit younger than average. But by unit there's a big split. The offense, which was the youngest offense in the league in 2012, was the third-youngest in 2013. I know there are people who don't want to hear youth as an excuse for why this offense sputters in big games, but the reality is that the O is young.

(And if you scroll down to the last chart, it shows that it's not unusual for the youngest offense in the league to make it to the playoffs. In fact, it's happened every year since 2008. But just two of those teams made it past the wild card round and just one, Seattle last season, made it past the divisional round. In other words, young offenses routinely lose in the playoffs. The good news for Cincy is that we are looking at a max of two new starters, Hill and Bodine, and Hill would be part of a RBBC. So experience is starting to work in our favor.)

The defense meanwhile is among the top 10 oldest defenses, which I would presume is due to our geriatric secondary. With Kirkpatrick and Dennard likely to draw significant playing time next season that should change. The Bengals' special teams unit was also among the top-10-oldest teams units. That may explain why we got picks like James Wright, a pure special teamer. Special teams is a young man's game and the Bengals appear to be looking to turn over some personnel there.

My prediction is 12-4 and before I get blown up for being a gigantic homer I would like the naysayers to explain how this 11-5 team has gotten worse. Yes they lost MJ but they planned for that and the maturation of Hunt along with the return of Heathers should compensate. Yes they lost A.C. but they signed Newhouse and let's be real about this, the guy was a career backup (a good backup but a backup none the less). They added Manning and Denmark and Kirkpatrick made big strides at the end of last year. All of this balanced against young players getting better (Hunt, Green, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Burfict, and yes...even Dalton) I just see a team still improving and I see this year as the year we kick the damn door in.

My prediction is 12-4 and before I get blown up for being a gigantic homer I would like the naysayers to explain how this 11-5 team has gotten worse. Yes they lost MJ but they planned for that and the maturation of Hunt along with the return of Heathers should compensate. Yes they lost A.C. but they signed Newhouse and let's be real about this, the guy was a career backup (a good backup but a backup none the less). They added Manning and Denmark and Kirkpatrick made big strides at the end of last year. All of this balanced against young players getting better (Hunt, Green, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Burfict, and yes...even Dalton) I just see a team still improving and I see this year as the year we kick the damn door in.

There you go Wraith. Same argument I made when I said 11-5 for the season.

The loss of MJ and Collins does not make this a 6-10 team.

The schedule may look tough in spots, but even if they drop 2 more games than I think they will, it's a winning season.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be happy about a 9-7 season, but this isn't a losing team in 2014.

People must really hate Dalton.

I think despair is closer than hate. There is apparently sizable segment of the fan base that believes the team is in (to use Joe Goodberry's term) "QB purgatory." By which they mean Dalton is good enough to win bunches of regular season games, but will never amount to anything in the postseason. And a segment of this group has become absolutely frantic about it and turned on other Bengals fans who suggest anything other than Dalton-must-go. This group has made GB and the .com boards virtually unreadable. And I don't even bother reading comments on CJ any more. Twitter was bad for a while too but it finally seems to have burned itself out -- though that will probably change come August.

Speaking of Andy, in Hobs' latest Sanu and Jones seem impressed with the results of his offseason work:

Andy Dalton has been getting second looks from his wide receivers during their throwing sessions in Phase II of the voluntary sessions. His trip to Los Angeles back in March to work with throwing guru Dr. Tom House seems to have helped.

“Best I’ve seen him,” said Mohamed Sanu Wednesday. “I think it’s everything. That guy helped. He’s put a lot of work in the offseason, just seeing how he approaches it….it’s on you fast. You turn around and you’re like, ‘whoa.’”

New offensive coordinator Hue Jackson has emphasized doing everything at a quicker pace. Breaking out of the huddle. Running routes. And included in that is Dalton getting back into his drop quicker from behind center and getting rid of it quicker.

“He’s got a lot of zing, a lot of velocity to him,’ said wide receiver Marvin Jones. “Especially when it matches the intensity with the way we run our routes. We run our plays in different periods and it just bring s everybody up, him included. He’s spinning the ball real nice.

Speaking of Andy, in Hobs' latest Sanu and Jones seem impressed with the results of his offseason work:

Andy Dalton has been getting second looks from his wide receivers during their throwing sessions in Phase II of the voluntary sessions. His trip to Los Angeles back in March to work with throwing guru Dr. Tom House seems to have helped.

“Best I’ve seen him,” said Mohamed Sanu Wednesday. “I think it’s everything. That guy helped. He’s put a lot of work in the offseason, just seeing how he approaches it….it’s on you fast. You turn around and you’re like, ‘whoa.’”

New offensive coordinator Hue Jackson has emphasized doing everything at a quicker pace. Breaking out of the huddle. Running routes. And included in that is Dalton getting back into his drop quicker from behind center and getting rid of it quicker.

“He’s got a lot of zing, a lot of velocity to him,’ said wide receiver Marvin Jones. “Especially when it matches the intensity with the way we run our routes. We run our plays in different periods and it just bring s everybody up, him included. He’s spinning the ball real nice.

I really hope this is true and it carries over into the season. I think this is a critical year for Dalton and he really needs to take that next step or doubt if he ever will.

There you go Wraith. Same argument I made when I said 11-5 for the season.

The loss of MJ and Collins does not make this a 6-10 team.

The schedule may look tough in spots, but even if they drop 2 more games than I think they will, it's a winning season.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be happy about a 9-7 season, but this isn't a losing team in 2014.

It seems to me the talking heads seem to think the Bengals lost more than they gained;

1. No confidence Johnson will be replaced

2. No confidence Atkins and Hall will be as good

3. They must not feel, even if Jackson can be successful, that it will make a difference.

4. They feel Ravens and Steelers should be better than last year.

5. Of course Dalton is completely written off.

I wonder if they've written off Matt Ryan regardless of his contract?

1. I like MJ, he was a good play and losing him hurts, but it's not like a future Hall of Famer just walked out the door.

2. I suspect Atkins and Hall will both take time to work into shape, but the silver lining is that the season's is back-loaded so they should be rounding into form right when the scheduled gets toughest.

3. Not sure where you are seeing that, Hue seems to be getting strong reviews.

4. The Ravens maybe, though there seems to be surprisingly little buzz even though they were active in FA earlier. OTOH I'm not sure what Pitt has done and I think people are starting to notice. If Tomlin's seat isn't a little warm this season it should be.

5. And that's the heart of the issue. 1-4 are just fluff. The CW is that Andy Dalton Isn't Good Enough, therefore Cincy is doomed. At this point I hope they keep talking about how much Dalton sucks all summer. Nothing like a bulletin board full of that for motivation.

1. I like MJ, he was a good play and losing him hurts, but it's not like a future Hall of Famer just walked out the door.

2. I suspect Atkins and Hall will both take time to work into shape, but the silver lining is that the season's is back-loaded so they should be rounding into form right when the scheduled gets toughest.

4. The Ravens maybe, though there seems to be surprisingly little buzz even though they were active in FA earlier. OTOH I'm not sure what Pitt has done and I think people are starting to notice. If Tomlin's seat isn't a little warm this season it should be.

5. And that's the heart of the issue. 1-4 are just fluff. The CW is that Andy Dalton Isn't Good Enough, therefore Cincy is doomed. At this point I hope they keep talking about how much Dalton sucks all summer. Nothing like a bulletin board full of that for motivation.

One thing that might be overlooked is the loss of Zimmer. He set the tone for what was demanded of on the defense. I hope his loss does not undercut the overall play of the D.

I think this team will be far better offensively. With Hill and Gio, watch the bleep out. This line does run block very well, and that will open up the lanes for Dalton to more selectively pick things apart.

As for Atkins and Hall, Atkins is far more critical to return. Hall coming back to play at a high level would be gravy.

3. I don't read much media but my son follows it. He just hasn't heard any reviews that feel Hue will make a significant difference to overcome 1,2, 4, and 5.

BTW, just for kicks and giggles, I just registered into the Falcons forum and posted this:

"Greetings! I am a Bengals fan and wanted to stop by just to compare notes. I'm not here to troll or cause problems.

I was hoping I could start a post to see if Matt Ryan ever went through the same fan bashing that Dalton is enduring after 3 straight playoff appearances without a playoff win.

I expect the media to do it but not fans, especially since he's only been playing 3 years.

He's in the same position Matt was in 2012. Trying to win his first playoff game in his 4th playoff attempt!"

I've gotten one reply and he said the Falcon fans give Ryan the same negative scrutiny!

Just not sure why the national media seems to give him a pass.

I think this team will be far better offensively. With Hill and Gio, watch the bleep out. This line does run block very well, and that will open up the lanes for Dalton to more selectively pick things apart.

Here's something I ran across on footballoutsiders.com today. It's a look at personnel data on offense. Long story short, the most effective offense personnel mix was 11, one back and one TE. League-wide it was used on more than half of plays and scored a DVOA of 8.1%. So it was the most common and most successful personnel grouping.

One 3 teams didn't use 11 personnel the most: SF, Oakland...and Cincy. The Bengals preferred formation was 12, one back, 2 TEs. That had a DVOA of just 0.4%. League-wide teams used it only 20% of the time, but the Bengals used it 43% of the time.

They didn't post a DVOA for the Bengals 12 so I don't know if they got better results than average. But in any event it seems the 2-TE offense has fallen out of favor somewhat. I dunno if any of this is significant but I did find it interesting.

One thing that might be overlooked is the loss of Zimmer. He set the tone for what was demanded of on the defense. I hope his loss does not undercut the overall play of the D.

As for Atkins and Hall, Atkins is far more critical to return. Hall coming back to play at a high level would be gravy.

Hue is talking about using Gio in the slot a lot more. Could give him much more open field to run.

PFT had some early Vegas lines up a couple days ago. The Bengals are favored in eight games, dogs in five and three aren't listed.

Favored

Atlanta (-3), Tennessee (-7), Carolina (-2), Baltimore (-3), Jacksonville (-11), Cleveland (-6.5), Pittsburgh (-3), at Cleveland (-1.5)

Dog

Denver (+1.5), at New England (+4), at Indianapolis (+2.5), at New Orleans (+4), at Baltimore (+2.5)

Unknown/push?

At Houston, at Tampa Bay, at Pittsburgh

3. I don't read much media but my son follows it. He just hasn't heard any reviews that feel Hue will make a significant difference to overcome 1,2, 4, and 5.

BTW, just for kicks and giggles, I just registered into the Falcons forum and posted this:

"Greetings! I am a Bengals fan and wanted to stop by just to compare notes. I'm not here to troll or cause problems.

I was hoping I could start a post to see if Matt Ryan ever went through the same fan bashing that Dalton is enduring after 3 straight playoff appearances without a playoff win.

I expect the media to do it but not fans, especially since he's only been playing 3 years.

He's in the same position Matt was in 2012. Trying to win his first playoff game in his 4th playoff attempt!"

I've gotten one reply and he said the Falcon fans give Ryan the same negative scrutiny!

Just not sure why the national media seems to give him a pass.

For at least one of those years, Ryan had Bratkowski as QB coach so you can write that year off. Can't blame Ryan for that.

For those keeping score at home, Ryan had nothing resembling the Bengals defense in any of his years there. And by almost any measure, Ryan has the superior toolset to be a real NFL QB.

This is why "comparison" are not a clean and symmetric exercise.

As for the abuse he takes from ATL fans, those people need to wake up and thank God everyday they have Ryan. Heck, they could have a guy like Dalton.