4th Round: Russell Bodine, C, North Carolina

HoosierCat

Last name is pronounced "BO-dine." Prepped at Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy, where his father is a teacher. Redshirted in 2010. Was a backup in '11 -- played nine games, including two starts as an injury replacement. Started all 25 games 2012-13.

Analysis

Strengths

Carries a load in his punch and plays with vinegar. Can seal and turn defenders in the run game to create small creases. Plays with a mean streak and likes to finish blocks. Is aggressive working up to the second level and efficient cutting linebackers. Rugged competitor. Stout anchor in pass protection. Versatile and has seen action at center and guard. Excellent weight-room strength -- bench-pressed 225 pounds 42 times to lead all participants at the combine.

Weaknesses

Stiff-bodied. Plays short-armed and overextends. Average agility. Is late to switch off blocks. Relies too much on his upper-body strength. Mechanics deteriorate the farther he is asked to travel. Slow to adjust to counter moves. Produced the slowest 3-cone time (8.29 seconds) of any offensive lineman at the combine.

Draft Projection

Rounds 3-4

Bottom Line

A top-heavy, barrel-chested, thick-bodied, short-area blocker, Bodine plays with a gritty football demeanor. Swing-interior versatility adds to his value.

STRENGTHS: Possesses squatty powerful frame, with broad shoulders and thick limbs. Good initial quickness. Capable of firing the snap (shotgun or typical) and turning to seal off defenders in one fluid motion. Plays with very good knee bend and on the balls of his feet, helping him anchor against the bull rush and mirror quicker defenders while in pass protection. Latches on and turns with defenders, keeping himself between the defender and the ball.

Surprisingly light on his feet, showing good athleticism to block at the second level. Strong initial punch on defenders when he meets them, showing enough power to knock some off-balance and to the ground. Alert and competitive. Looks for someone to hit on each play. Started one game at left guard in 2013; all others at center over the past two seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Carries a little extra weight around the middle and may not possess ideal arm length. Can get pushed back into the pocket initially (especially when covered up with a powerful nose guard), though to his credit he generally stops the skating and regains momentum to eventually push the defender back. Plays so low that he leaves himself vulnerable to over-arm swim moves.

COMPARES TO: A.Q. Shipley, Baltimore Ravens - Shipley left Penn State in 2008 and has bounced around the NFL since. Scouts love his physicality and tenacity, but short arms have made his emergence as an NFL starter slower than hoped. Bodine has more desirable traits and should have an easier path to latching on. He plays with similar grit and surprising athleticism, projecting as a future starter in the NFL.

--Rob Rang

I'm not at home have to work today, but what did they give up to move? Well at least they went after a center

They swapped 4ths (Saints Seahawks get 123, we got 111) for the 199th (a seventh round pick).

So basically a 7th.

Update: Dehner says its their sixth rounder, I didnt think about comp picks so thats probably right. Still a good deal.

Don't listen to Joe Goodberry, I think he pretty much hated every pick the bengals are making this year lol. I saw McShay said he had him as a 3rd rounder, where as Goodberry says he is a project 7th rounder, brick to the head lol.

Joe's just cranky because they moved the draft to his wedding anniversary weekend so he has to pay attention to his wife and can't geek out over the draft. :lol:/>

Don't listen to Joe Goodberry, I think he pretty much hated every pick the bengals are making this year lol. I saw McShay said he had him as a 3rd rounder, where as Goodberry says he is a project 7th rounder, brick to the head lol.

Joe's just cranky because they moved the draft to his wedding anniversary weekend so he has to pay attention to his wife and can't geek out over the draft. :lol:/>/>

True that's why there in Disney lol. Still I bet his wife is pissed Joe quite looking at your phone and pay attention to me lol.

*shrug*

They screw up at least part of the draft every year

I'm always hopeful going in, and I am always disappointed at some point

At least in more recent years, excepting this year, they wait til later to start their screwups

I was happy with Dennard, ok with Hill, but it all went to hell after that

*shrug*

They screw up at least part of the draft every year

I'm always hopeful going in, and I am always disappointed at some point

At least in more recent years, excepting this year, they wait til later to start their screwups

I was happy with Dennard, ok with Hill, but it all went to hell after that

I agree totally on this draft, started great in round 1, took a chance on Hill (character issues) and from there on it seems there would have been better option at the position they took.

Nothing wrong with Clarke and Bodine. Both are solid prospects that address positions of need. Neither are needed to start right away and both provide depth.

Frankly, they weren't going to get a better pass rusher because this draft absolutely sucked if you needed that and didn't have a top 3 pick. It would have been nice to have a better center prospect but the only way to do that was using the second pick, so our run first O features BenSlowass Green-Threeyardsapop. That don't work.

If you want to complain about anything, I'd recommend free agency, where the FO sat on its hands and didn't fill a single gawd damned hole ahead of the draft. So here they are clearly drafting for need, even to the point of sacrificing a pick to scramble after one of the last decent center prospects. $25 million in cap pace, we fill no holes and extend no one but friggin Peko...

...ah well, it wouldn't be a draft day without me bitching, either.