Who Gets Extended Next?

HoosierCat

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the next contract extension?

• Andy Dalton
    • A.J. Green
    • Vontaze Burfict
    • Domata Peko
    • somebody else

Just something to pass the time. So: who gets the next extension? All four of the guys listed have been mentioned. Or will it be someone else -- and if so, who?

My bet is on Peko, which will doubtless annoy some people. Me, I don't think Peko is all that either, but with Geno and Still battling injuries they have to keep him around for a bit.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go with Burfict.

It just seems to make sense and the linebacking corps needs the continuity.

I'm always going to be wondering what he could do if given the chance to take over the middle.

AJ would be my next guess as the Bengals seemed to have been planning on his extension for years.

Peko ?? I like him, but as you mentioned Hossier, they haven't gotten what they need out of Still.

I'm going to go with Burfict.

It just seems to make sense and the linebacking corps needs the continuity.

I'm always going to be wondering what he could do if given the chance to take over the middle.

AJ would be my next guess as the Bengals seemed to have been planning on his extension for years.

Yep, Burfict purely because I think he'll be the easiest to get done...

Yep, Burfict purely because I think he'll be the easiest to get done...

I think Peko would be much easier. He won't command big bucks or a long deal. Tack on another two years and $8 million or so and you're done. Burfict OTOH presents some complications.

I wasn't even considering Peko as an option. They'll wait til his contract expires and hopefully be able to sign him back at an affordable contract.

If you compare him and Burfict, it's no contest regarding which one is more pivotal to a successful team over the next 5 years.

Another thing i'm left to wonder is, what do they think of Gresham ?

He's also coming due after this season as well.

With some of the talent they have, I wonder if there are any trade talks out there ??

Would you give Gresham for a second rounder ?? Someone else maybe ??

Just throwing it out there to have something else to ponder.

@sky I agree, that's what I would do with Peko, but Hobson has said a couple times that he's an extension candidate, so I guess we'll see.

@army I don't know what to do with Gresham. He makes just enough plays to make you think he's finally coming around, then turns around and fouls up by the numbers. I would consider a trade. Put Charles back at TE and get a real FB. [/broken record]

Burfict would be my option.

Gresham ... let him play like he wants to be here and earn the next contract ...lots of potential, far too many stupid penalty flags. Perhaps he needs a year of needing to eanr a contract to get his focus right.

The oxcart driver speaks:

/>http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/03/23/five-questions-with-mike-brown/6794589/

Mikey says the plan is to excercise the option on AJ and then tag him if they can't get an extension done. The top priority for an extension right now is Dalton. However the two sides haven't been able to reach a deal and it doesn't appear the Bengals are willing to tag him. And if a deal isn't reached this year Mikey says they won't waste time talking next year.

You know, if after letting guys walk and not signing free agents so we could re-sign Andy and AJ...we then don't re-sign Andy and AJ because of money...I think I'm done with this team.

/>http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/03/23/five-questions-with-mike-brown/6794589/

Mikey says the plan is to excercise the option on AJ and then tag him if they can't get an extension done. The top priority for an extension right now is Dalton. However the two sides haven't been able to reach a deal and it doesn't appear the Bengals are willing to tag him. And if a deal isn't reached this year Mikey says they won't waste time talking next year.

You know, if after letting guys walk and not signing free agents so we could re-sign Andy and AJ...we then don't re-sign Andy and AJ because of money...I think I'm done with this team.

If all of that is accurate, you won't be the only one.

I would guess many share that same thought.

It sounds from the article that they are planning on exercising the fifth year option on AJ. I think that is a dumb thing to do, because it means they are fully committed to Dalton.

If Dalton struggles, and Green suffers due to Dalton floundering, how motivated will AJ be seeing Dalton getting signed for big coin, while he is held off for another year before he is paid as best WR in the game? This sets up some ugly dynamics, even if AJ is the best teammate in the league. I do no like how they are approaching this at all.

That Dalton is already being the focus of their extension talk is premature to say the least, he has much much to prove. If anything, Dalton could wait and if he proves it, get tagged for a year while they work it out. For that to happen, he'd probably have taken them to the AFC Championship game or to the SB. THEN he'd deserve the big coin. Not before.

Ugh, this whole thing reaks of Brown-conomics... Aka, pinch that penny till it squeals, and only confront the items in front of you as they come, team dynamics be damned. This might work when managing a grocery store of a trucking company but not a NFL team.

I can't say as I like the approach either, but then again that's from my perspective as an NFL owner from the couch.

On one hand I get why that 5th year option was put in place for 1st rounders and the Bengals being wise to push it off.

It allows them to work other things out, but still pays that player in the top 10 range at their position.

On the other hand, you don't want to create any tension or give one of the best at his position a reason to want to leave.

Business is business though and they could go so far as to go another year and tag AJ.

I wouldn't like it, but it's certainly on the table.

Brown has already stated he's going to get paid. Players just want the long term.

I don't like giving Dalton the money ahead of time, but there's no guarantee in waiting either. It's a crap shoot.

The Ravens waited on Flacco then lost out in having to pay him when they won it all. Then he didn't have a great year the following season.

I just want to see them making better moves, not necessarily more moves.

Like Hoosier stated, they can come up with the money elsewhere.

It sounds from the article that they are planning on exercising the fifth year option on AJ. I think that is a dumb thing to do, because it means they are fully committed to Dalton.

That ship sailed long ago. They fully committed to Andy (and Green) years ago when they started sacrificing players to the Cruel God of 2014. From Rucker and Fanene to MJ, AC and Hawkins, talent has been allowed to leave while they stockpiled space for those two.

What would be dumb is to do all that, get to this point...and not pull the trigger. Then you've sacrificed all those players for nothing.

As for exercising Green's option, it means he makes $6 million this year and $10 million in 2015 so I don't think he will be too upset. But I expect he will get paid early next year at the latest.

I went back and read the article again and got the same feeling Hoosier.

In that they've already made the decision to extend Dalton and it's more a matter of when, as opposed to if.

If that's not the case, AC, MJ, and Hawkins were all for nothing.

When considering the amount AJ is looking at, i'm left to wonder who else we lose when it's his turn ??

Will they let 2-3 more better than average guys go in order to get him done ??

I've mentioned "you can't pay them all" and still feel that way, but it's like they are letting guys walk in the "hopes" the others get done.

If they don't get it done, they f*ck themselves HARD.

Kings of overreaction? Sheesh.

It makes sense to tag AJ. Whether you tag him or sign him to a contract he's going to make big money. If you end up working out a deal with Green and tagging Dalton, it's going to cost the team more. Who wants to do that? Better to get a semi-reasonable contract worked out there if possible.

And, it sounds like if he wants too much, they're willing to move on. I don't see this happening.

Just give it time to play out.

Kings of overreaction? Sheesh.

I don't see anyone overreacting. But if you spend three years saying that you can't sign players A, B, C, D, E and F because all the money has to be saved for guys X and Y -- and then start hedging on X and Y, you going to get criticized.

What we have here on the Dalton front is the rather unusual sight of Mike Brown negotiating through the media. He strongly implies Dalton is asking for too much coin and adds that this year is the last chance for a deal. It will be interesting to see if Dalton's camp returns the volley.