Who Gets Extended Next?

HoosierCat

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the next contract extension?

• Andy Dalton
    • A.J. Green
    • Vontaze Burfict
    • Domata Peko
    • somebody else

I think the Bengals truly want to keep Dalton around, but they want to do it at a cheaper rate.

Can't say as I blame them for that. However, I agree that Dalton should bet on himself.

That is the direction I wanted the team to take anyway.

Draft a QB, give Dalton another season, and go from there.

If he fails, move on.

I just think the team is firm in wanting Dalton back.

I think Marvin Lewis is firm on wanting him back, I'm not so sure that Mike Brown wants him back. I could see a big fall out coming, if Brown does not get him signed. Marvin wants Andy as his guy, but sometimes I wonder what Brown really thinks. I'm always seeing things where Brown wanted somebody different. I think we will see in this years draft, if they take a guy in an early round, then I think Brown may be calling some shots still. Guess will see

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think the team is firm in wanting Dalton back.

Yeah, based on Mike's comments, it appears to be a case of "when," not "if," a deal gets done. I think willy was wise to point to the looming Kapernick deal. The Bengals have traditionally been loathe to "set the market" and are very likely (IMHO of course) looking at that deal to set some kind of benchmark. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Bengals and 49ers ownerships had a few discussions in some out-of-service elevator during the recent league meeting (what, collusion in the NFL? I am shocked, shocked!) and as a result the Bengals think Kap's deal will work to their advantage.

I always got the impression that Brown was not a huge Dalton guy, but Marvin was. I don't know maybe I was reading things wrong. Maybe the draft will tell is something, but will see if something gets done.

My completely unsupported guess is that the No. 1 thing Brown isn't fond of is unsold luxury boxes and season tickets. And he knows that Dalton is unpopular with many (if not most) fans. So, what puts more butts in the seats, extending Dalton or spending your second-round pick on, say, Aaron Murray (or your first on Bridgewater if he falls like some are now thinking)?

I just think you need to look at Brown's comments about how he feels about Marvin and whta he has done with the team.

Marvin loves him some Andy Dalton and I really don't see Marvin going anywhere until he wants to leave.

With that being the case, Andy stays.

I was thinking the same thing about the Kap deal as well. As soon as I read it, Dalton came to mind.

Those two deals will come one after the other. Who gives first ??

On a side and not to make this a draft thread, but if Bridgewater falls to #24 and we don't take him, they are crazy.

#1 overall ?? I would question that. #24 ?? No brainer.

but if Bridgewater falls to #24 and we don't take him, they are crazy.

#1 overall ?? I would question that. #24 ?? No brainer.

Exactly what I was saying earlier, if Dalton has NOT signed do the Bengals ("organisation" NOT coaching staff) make the decision to take the pick on a rated QB when it's presented to them??? .... whats the alternative? Stick with Dalton who will then hold the upper hand and a negotiating gun to the FO's head or take the pick and look to the future either immediately or after Daltons final year is up ???? ....... tough call

I still would be reluctant to take a QB at #24 unless it was Bridgewater.

There simply isn't that much that separates them and they could take one later for insurance and even go ahead and draft one in the 1st next year.

It's not like Dalton isn't going to be here THIS year.

Again, if i'm Dalton, i'm in no rush unless the deal is too good to pass up. Bet on yourself every time.

He's going to get paid one way or another. No need to screw over the draft process in the first few rounds over what Dalton does or doesn't do.

I dont think a later round pick offers much insurance, if any

You're saying "hey, we have dalton this year, no hurry", but from my point of view, the fact that Dalton is still here this year is why I want the guy NOW - so he has a year to be groomed in our system and will be ready when Andy leaves

That said, hmm, the qb class next year is alleged to be much much better that this year's class, so there's reason right there to ignore the position for a year: franchise Dalton next year, and draft the new qb in 2015, groom him in 2015

I'm with you on the latter portion of your post TJ.

If you want a year where they move up to get the QB of their choice, next year would be that year, not this one.

Instead of tagging Dalton for a season, just keep Campbell as the backup and have the 1st round rookie start.

That is making the assumption that they don't get something done with Dalton, which I think still happens one way or another.

In that line of thought, yeah, i'm still on board with a later round (5-7) QB pick.

I think starting a rookie QB isn't generally a good idea, though I know it has worked out reasonably well in several cases in the last decade - Dalton himself did pretty darn well as a rookie

If they draft the r1 rookie qb in 2015, I think they'll need to keep Dalton while the rookie gets groomed, and that'll take the 2015 franchise tag (the non exclusive sub-type)

I think it is possible for at least one of the top QB prospects falling. Bortles, Carr, Bridgewater, Manziel..... one of them will slip. Probably not Bortles or Manziel...but one of the others. I see us being confronted with a QB prospect at 24, and then the decision is staring us in the face. What to do....

Might even happen later, with a guy like Murray, Thomas, Mettenberger or Boyd....then what?

Dalton and his deal suddenly become a critical decision.

Completely off topic but WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS????? GENIUS! :cheers:/>

excellent piece of lateral thinking

Please not Manzel, I may have to give up being a Bengals fan if that idiot becomes a member. I did not watch or pay much attention the year TO was here for that very reason.

He will not be in stripes. No chance he gets past Manny at 8. I bet Houston takes him at 1. I seriously think they will.

Funny thing is, he will do wonders for the franchise there, essentially what Tebow would have done for Jax had they taken him in the draft. I'm not a fan of Manziel buy he could do OK in the proper team.

I think if one of the top 4 QBs slips to 19, and I dont think the Dolphins at 19 want a QB but Arizona at 20 certainly does - you have to consider trading into the 19th pick

Probably cost us our r4 pick

I would be shocked if they drafted any QB at 24 - I think my head would explode if they traded up for one. Too many other thin spots on the roster that need to be addressed to devote 2+ picks to Andy Dalton insurance.

It all depends. If the CB they want is there AND a guy like Bridgewater is too, then that's a conundrum. If it was Gilbert or Bridgewater or Carr, give me Gilbert.

If they see a guy drop they really feel is too good to pass on, so will lots of teams. Trading out could be the best play, gaining another couple of picks.

I do think one of them will have a Rogers-esque slide, and could be there at 24. Unless their *ideal* player, like Gilbert or one of the OTs, is there then they should draft the QB or maybe trade back.

As this offseason drags on, there's this little voice in my head that keeps getting louder and increasingly profane. The voice keeps saying how much it hopes that the Bengals let Andy Dalton go and draft a new QB. It keeps whispering, then speaking, then screaming about how awesome it would be to see Dalton in a Cleveland Browns uniform leading them to multiple Super Bowl championships while the Bengals spend the next 10 years winning 3-5 games a year under a parade of busts and retread QBs, just like the 90s. And the voice dissolves into ear-splitting, barely coherent curses of something like joy and something like hate at the prospect of getting to rub Andy in everyone's face for the next ten years. Then it abruptly stops, reminds me to eat my vegetables and quit procrastinating on my tax returns, and disappears. For the moment.

I should probably see about prozac or something... :doctor:

As this offseason drags on, there's this little voice in my head that keeps getting louder and increasingly profane. The voice keeps saying how much it hopes that the Bengals let Andy Dalton go and draft a new QB. It keeps whispering, then speaking, then screaming about how awesome it would be to see Dalton in a Cleveland Browns uniform leading them to multiple Super Bowl championships while the Bengals spend the next 10 years winning 3-5 games a year under a parade of busts and retread QBs, just like the 90s. And the voice dissolves into ear-splitting, barely coherent curses of something like joy and something like hate at the prospect of getting to rub Andy in everyone's face for the next ten years. Then it abruptly stops, reminds me to eat my vegetables and quit procrastinating on my tax returns, and disappears. For the moment.

I should probably see about prozac or something... :doctor:/>

Sounds like you need a nap.

Extremely replaceable DT at this point, but for 2 years, fine (Peko). He's a good leader and locker room/franchise guy, and still a solid NFL DT. His caboose absorbs two men by itself, so there's that.

I would not say he's "extremely" replaceable.. Neither Still or Thompson have been able to unseat him. and they let Sims walk instead of Peko.

He's an above average guy. He's not just some huge gap filler.

I actually thought he might become one of the cuts. Given his salary, he could have ended up chopped to make headroom for the impending Dalton cash delivery.