Bengals Draft

Scottishbengal

Now Harrison bids us all goodbye...

http://profootballta...o-bengals-fans/

Might lend credence to the possiblity of going LB early

Can't say I'm overly surprised at Harrisons (assumed) departure given his age and with players coming back from injury.

We can't go all the ways we need to early in the draft .... CB, LB, OT, OG ....really need to be filling some gaps via free agency to give us options in the draft

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WR at the late rounds I'd guess.

Round 1 : Kony Ealy, DE out of Missouri

-Hate it we invested a 2nd rounder to replace MJ last year and Gilbert can start until hunt is ready we should take DE late for depth.

Round 2 : Demarcus Lawrence, OLB out of Boise State

Round 3 : Ja'Wuan Jones, OT out of Tennessee

Round 4 : Jordan Tripp, OLB out of Montana

Positions need don't think we take 2 Linebackers this early.

Round 5 : James Gayle, DE out of Virginia Tech

Round 6 : Brent Urban, DT out of Virginia

Round 7 : Tom Savage, QB out of Pittsburgh

Do these guys even know anything about bengals? cause we sure are flushing picks away well not addressing several of our holes.

Overall I'd say that would be pretty terrible draft for us.

Again with that stupid draft sporting not one single CB, only one O-lineman, two DE's and two OLB's.

Dumbest shit I've seen in a while.

Glad to see other people have the same opinion about that POS mock draft. Got to have a CB, got to have a C, got to have an OT that can play OG till ready. Other than theses positions, Im happy with BPA for the rest.

As far as DEs go, the Bengals seem very interested in Aaron Lynch.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/16/5512626/getting-to-know-aaron-lynch-who-bengals-have-shown-interest-in

Apparently the kid has elite potential and talent, but may not have all the lights on upstairs. Could be a late-round pick.

Wouldn't bother me. Heaven knows that their late-round picks are WTF? selections half the time anyhow. Lynch's issues seem to me to be about maturity and motivation. The important question to get to the bottom of with him is, does he really want to play pro ball? Apparently it didn't look much like he wanted to play college ball until the last few games on last season.

I went back to see some of his play at Notre Dame and WHOA. He's a big boy with some long arms.

Agree with needing to know where his head is at, but the same was said about Burfict.

First round potential with maturity concerns.

No concern with taking a 5th or 6th round chance on a kid like this.

If he gets his feet under him and explodes, that line would be sick for many years.

17th March, Bleacher Report, 7 round mock draft:-

1. Jason Verrett, CB, out of TCU

2. Antonio Richardson, OT, out of Tennessee

3. Cyril Richardson, OG, out of Baylor

4. De'Anthony Thomas, RB, out of Oregon

5. Aaron Lynch, DE, out of South Florida

6. Walt Atkins, CB, out of Liberty

7. Kapri Bibbs, RB, out of Colorado State

Surprising there's 2 x RBs predicted and no WR, Linebacker or back-up QB.

Does this hint that Hawkins will be retained or that they'll go with one less wideout??

Good to see a possible camp competition for the running backs with Peerman and Burghead maybe being pushed.

Also looks like there's hope that Lamur and Porter could be ready to shine.

Of course this is all conjecture until the picks are made but the above draft seems a lot more realistic than some others that have surfaced on the 'net !!

If there was a CB that I would bet on falling, it would be Verrett.

I think teams will shy away from his height and would rather not take the chance until the 2nd.

I would be more than happy with him in the 2nd, but not so much in the 1st.

2 RB's with Burkhead sitting in reserve ?? No point in that.

With one of those two RB picks grab another OLB.

I agree with taking 2 CB's and 2 O-linemen.

With the probable two comp picks, give me another o-lineman and a QB.

I like Verrett, love his ball skills, his freakish athletic ability, and his attitude....but I agree he drops because he is 5'09". The question is does he drop all the way to us in the second? If he is not going to be there and he is high on our board it would make sense to drop back into the low second and grab a few draft selections. This is the draft you want to have alot of mid round selections.

He could drop to us in the 2nd, but i'm sure someone will tell me i'm crazy.

All I can say is crazy things happen in the draft and a 5'9 CB isn't all the rage when viewed by teams.

I've gone back and watched some of his games at TCU because he intrigued me, but I would have my concerns.

a project WR in the late rounds now that Babyhawk has gone ????

Hoosier, you always know the draft values. What would it take for the Bengals to move up to assure snagging Gilbert? Say at 12-15?

I think he's an elite player, will be bound for serious accolades.

I went back to look at the first round trades from last year and it seems to vary.

San Fran moved from pick 31 to pick 18 and only had to swap firsts and give up a 3rd.

Atlanta moved from pick 30 to pick 22 and only had to swap first and give up a 3rd and 6th. Atlanta also picked up a 7th in the trade.

There were other trades involving the first round, but most were at the high end or trades coming from the top of the 2nd into the bottom of the 1st.

Going by what happened last year and considering the trade would be around the 12th pick range, swapping firsts and giving up multiple picks, including a 2nd would probably be about right. All of that being said, I don't know that I would make that trade. Giving up early round picks in a draft like this one isn't something I would be real on board with.

I would rather them wait and if the guy drops a little lower than the 15th pick, then consider it, where they don't have to give as much.

I love both Gilbert and Dennard and wouldn't complain about either.

OK, this is re-jigged from the .com roster page so i'm hoping it's fairly current and accurate. This is the roster which shows where we are with personnel and depth so maybe worth considering while we all muse away at what we think the draft should/could involve :-

C : Robinson, Wedgie, TJ Johnson

CB : Hall, Jones, Newman, Kirkpatrick, Lewis-Harris, McCalebb, ...... Brandon Burton (listed as DB)

DE : Geathers, Dunlap, Gilberry, Hunt, King

DT : Atkins, Peko, Still, Thompson, Bilukidi, Black, Minter, Nwagbuo,

G : Pollack, Boling, Whitworth, Zeitler

H-B : Charles

K : Nugent

K/P : Sharp

LB : Burfict, Maualuga, Rey, Lamur, DiManche, Joiner, Boley, Porter, Schaffer, Taylor

L-S : Harris

P : Huber, Mesko

QB : Dalton, Johnson, McElroy, Robinson

RB : BJGE, Bernard, Peerman, Burghhead

S : Nelson, Crocker, Iloka, Mays, Williams

T : Smith, Hawkinson, Roland

TE : Eifert, Gresham, Brock, Smith

WR : Green, Jones, Sanu, Tate, Whalen, Sanzenbacher, Hamilton,

Ok lets break it down a bit:

C: we seem pretty youthful - not sure if Pollack will be moved from G to C.

CB : Hall is coming back from his 2nd ACL, Newman wiil turn 36 and Pacman 31 in Sept - outside of those three Burton has the most experience with 3years and 1 career start, and Kirkpatrick with 2 years and 3 starts. Definitely need to take a CB, maybe two, in the draft if none added via FA.

DE : Geathers turns 31 before the seaosn kicks off and Gilberry will be 30 near the end of the season. A later round draft pick to develop would be a sensible option.

DT : Atkins coming back from injury, Peko turning 30 and Nwagbuo 29 during the season. If no FA acquistion then a draft spot to look to the future would be wise.

G : will Pollack move to C? Whitworth turns 33 in December. Again if no FA comes in then a draft spot

H-B : Do we persist with Charles at this position, or with this position at all??

K and K/P : these guys can go on forever so it would seem

LB : We're fairly youthful at the LB spot so depending on how players come back from injuries will have an impacy on when/if a draft pick is used here

L-S : I'm sure there will be the usual camp competition

P : as above

QB : Will a late round pick be taken to give some competition for the back up spot ??

RB : BJGE has averaged 3.9 and 3.4 ypc in his two years in Cincy. I can see a draft pick being used, maybe a later round pick, and with more snaps going to Gio

S : Reggie Nelson turns 31 at the start of the season. Tissue Mays has an injury history so Crocker will patiently sit in the museum waiting for the call. Again if no FA is brought in the a draft pick has to be used at this position.

T : I think the coaches will be set here unless a can't pass up FA or pick falls in the draft

TE : with an emphasis on the running game (?) I can't see the coaches needing to look at drafting a TE unless they need to refresh the position or look to make cap savings the year after

WR : Again with looking to the run more we probably don't need to address the WR position ... but then again is Green wanting to stay or move away after this season? We always tend to take a wideout at some stage so maybe a comp pick will deliver a project player

So a recap - I see (not in any particular order) the 7 picks + 2 comps as : CB, CB, S, DE, DT, OG, OT, RB, WR,

I'll take a shot at this:

OT: With Whit getting older, the loss of AC and then Fragel during the season last year, they HAVE to address the position.

OG: My newest candidate for our first round selection. Boling is said to not be ready coming back from his ACL and Pollack probably goes to Center.

OC: I see Pollack as the new Center and they like Robinson. Weak draft class, so I no longer see that happening

QB: Dalton goes nowhere, but I can certainly see a developmental guy. Hopefully no earlier than the 3rd or 4th, especially if he's broken.

RB: Would love to see Burkhead get an opportunity and hope to see Gio in the lead role. They could upgrade BJGE, but don't see it in the draft.

WR: They really don't need to, but figure they will (as they always do) address it at some point. Maybe target an UDFA.

TE: Gresham is up after this year and does Charles stay at H-back ? They could release or try to trade Gresham, but I expect them to draft one.

DT: They could certainly look to draft one. Peko is up and Thompson and Still have through next season, with Still failing to this point.

DE: I expect them to draft one, but not until the later rounds. The loss of MJ does not force their hand in the first round.

LB: They have promising young guys, but can they be upgraded? I think so and this is Rey M's last year on his contract. Expect an OLB.

CB: I expect them to go with at least one and maybe two CB's in the draft. They can't afford to wait any longer.

S: Nelson is coming due, Crocker is gone and Iloka is at least solid. Williams is the guy I question. I could see drafting a safety as well.

Punter / Kicker / LS: Sorry, but I don't care as long as they aren't screwing up. None drafted.

So what does that equate to when considering we are looking at two late comp picks ?? (In no particular order)

1 OT

1 OG

1 QB

1 OLB

1 TE

2 CB's

1 Safety

1 DE

Get some help at DT and WR with targeted UDFA's. This is all spitballing of course.

1+2+3, maybe 1+2+4 if he slips to the low end of that range. He better be Gilbert Island if we do that.

Hmm. I do think he's that caliber of guy. I also doubt they'd hand over thoe kind of picks to move up.

If he fell and was there at 15-18, then absolutely, go for it. Might mean their r1 + r3?