Bengals Draft

Scottishbengal

From the Bleacher Report article

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1974776-cincinnati-bengals-mock-draft-7-round-predictions-post-combine?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=cincinnati-bengals#articles/1974776-cincinnati-bengals-mock-draft-7-round-predictions-post-combine

For those not wanting to go through the whole link it's broken down as follows:-

1st Rnd - Jason Verrett, CB, from TCU

2nd Rnd - Marcus Martin, C, from USC

3rd Rnd - Aaron Murray, QB from Georgia

4th Rnd - Craig Loston, SS, from LSU

5th Rnd - Telvin Smith, OLB, from Florida State

6th Rnd - Aaron Colvin, CB, from Oklahoma (touted as being the Bengals steal of the draft)

7th Rnd - Jay Prosch, FB, from Auburn

No mention of comp picks.

just throwing it out there for discussion

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect we may need an OT in there someplace...have to see what happens in FA. But that looks pretty good, at least in terms of positions of need.

I doubt they go FB at any point given Hue's affection for Orson Charles, but then again you never know with the Bengals and late-round picks.

I did wonder if perhaps Orson Charles would revert back to TE and let Gresham go but a) Cap ceiling has increased and B) I don't think Greshams performances will allow him to dictate an overly generous contract.

I'm quite happy to see a couple of CBs in the mock but surprised there isn't one RB or a possible sleeper at WR in the late rounds.

SI's Chris Burke gives us:

Round 1, pick 24: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

We said: Injury issues behind him, Fuller has reestablished himself as a legitimate first-round option at cornerback. He turned in a 4.49 40 time at the combine — not blazing fast but plenty good enough to keep his arrow pointing upward. The Bengals would love to be in position to pick between Fuller and Jason Verrett here. It’d be hard to go wrong either way.

Round 2, pick 55: Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU

We said: Cincinnati almost certainly will lose Michael Johnson this offseason and James Harrison is on his last legs, so finding another pass-rush threat off the edge is imperative.

/>http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/26/cincinnati-bengals-2014-nfl-mock-draft-tracker/

Not sure I see a LB at 55, for reasons I've already gone through elsewhere. Burke's mock still has OT Morgan Moses on the board at 55 and I think that would be a better choice.

And just for giggles, here's walterfootball's first four rounds for Cincy:

24. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

55. Marcus Martin, C, USC

88. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas

119. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee

I think that's solid. I am not much of a fan for USC players anymore, so there's that.

Jeffcoat could be a steal at 88.

The more I try to figure out what the Bengals might do in the draft, the further I question it.

When I look at the future free agents (2015,2016) they need to address some of those concerns in 2014:

CB, LB, OG, OC, DT, RB

If they get the comp picks most are expecting, you can also add:

Safety and WR

Do they keep running the two TE sets and what happens to Smith and Gresham ??

Add in TE to that conversation.

I'm also of the line of thought that the first round pick could be almost anyone if Dennard and Gilbert are gone before #24.

I don't think it's simply a default to the next highest rated CB (Fuller or Verrett).

They could also look to the second round to address the CB spot.

I keep going back and forth with whether they take a center or not.

If someone like Richburg falls to them in the 3rd, I would really like that pick.

Nice to be a fan of a team that isn't locked into a position in the draft !!!

Interesting that the draft-guru's on NFL.Com all have us taking a DE with our first pick in the draft:-

Kony Ealy from Missouri (predicted by Charles Davis and Bucky Brooks)

Dee Ford from Auburn (predicted by Daniel Jeremiah)

Stephon Tuitt from Notre Dame (predicted by Matt Smith)

I suppose that the Michael Johnson situation will have a huge impact on what happens with DE in the draft but thought I'd throw this into the mix for interest/discussion

MJ is 6' 7" and 270 lbs - no idea what his other vital statistics are

Ealy 6' 4" with a 34.1/4" arm length, 273 lbs (projected as a 2nd to 3rd rounder)

Ford 6' 2" with a 32.7/8" arm length, 252 lbs (projected as a 4th to 5th rounder)

Tuitt 6' 5" with a 34.3/4 arm length, 304 llbs (projected as a 1st to 2nd rounder)

I don't agree with them and think that's just being lazy.

They lose this position in free agency, so it must be how they go in the first round.

Gilberry played very nicely last season, Geathers is back and here through 2015, and they drafted Hunt last year.

While it wouldn't shock me, it's hardly a lock. I still like the idea of an aging Jared Allen in free agency.

I could easily see Truitt. He's the kind of DE/DT swing guy they have always coveted. With Peko's deal winding down, Geno rehabbing, Still struggling with injuries, Geathers old old old and Hunt still an enigma, adding dline talent isn't a bad idea.

Oh, I fully expect them to address DT in the draft and even in the first round if they so desired.

I don't know what it is about both the DT and WR positions that have the thought of a trade running around my mind.

Peko is coming due and both Still and Thompson after 2015.

There are WR's on the roster we don't even use and Hamilton is still on the practice squad.

Interesting that the draft-guru's on NFL.Com all have us taking a DE with our first pick in the draft:-

Kony Ealy from Missouri (predicted by Charles Davis and Bucky Brooks)

Dee Ford from Auburn (predicted by Daniel Jeremiah)

Stephon Tuitt from Notre Dame (predicted by Matt Smith)

I suppose that the Michael Johnson situation will have a huge impact on what happens with DE in the draft but thought I'd throw this into the mix for interest/discussion

MJ is 6' 7" and 270 lbs - no idea what his other vital statistics are

Ealy 6' 4" with a 34.1/4" arm length, 273 lbs (projected as a 2nd to 3rd rounder)

Ford 6' 2" with a 32.7/8" arm length, 252 lbs (projected as a 4th to 5th rounder)

Tuitt 6' 5" with a 34.3/4 arm length, 304 llbs (projected as a 1st to 2nd rounder)

latest first round predictions for the Bengals via http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Rob Rang suggests we take Xavier Su'a-Filo the OG out of UCLA

Dane Brugler suggest Kony Ealy (as above)

Pete Prisco suggests Lyle Fuller CB out of Virginia Tech (as does Pat Kirwan)

Will Brinson suggests Calvin Priyr the FS out of Louisville

I brought up Calvin Pryor not long ago.

Even though I don't think he will be there, if he were it wouldn't surprise me to see them take him.

The Bengals wanted Reid in the first last year and the 49er's grabbed him up.

I like what our safeties have done, but the Bengals could still improve that area.

Nelson and Iloka are up after next season and Shawn Williams is what ?? Special teams ??

I brought up Calvin Pryor not long ago.

Even though I don't think he will be there, if he were it wouldn't surprise me to see them take him.

The Bengals wanted Reid in the first last year and the 49er's grabbed him up.

I like what our safeties have done, but the Bengals could still improve that area.

Nelson and Iloka are up after next season and Shawn Williams is what ?? Special teams ??

I would be thrilled with Pryor. He looks like a game-changer to me. I've wanted a first round safety ever since the Troy Polamalu took Palmer for his first pick six.

I'm trying to warm up to the thought of Fuller, because I think he might be the pick if the other top two CB's are gone.

I say warming up, because while he may be good, I doubt he will be best player available at #24.

I know he had injuries and maybe this conversation would be different had that not happened, but it isn't.

Most have him as a 2nd round talent that will go in the first.

Derek Carr anyone?

He's now rumored to be in the 21-25 range.

Could be.....

Not interested.

He reminds me of Blaine Gabbert in that he will rise into the first round, but doesn't really belong there.

I'm hoping his career goes better than Gabbert's, but I won't be surprised when it doesn't.

Lot of Rumors saying bengals interested in Aaron Murry. I have to wonder if they will spend a 3rd on a QB. As a Georgia fan I like Murry, but makes me wonder how this will work out. He does have a bigger arm that's for sure.

I bet AJ would like that.

I've seen those reports as well. They had multiple interviews with him at the combine apparently.

I still can't say spending a 3rd round pick on a guy that might not be any more than a backup is the smart thing to do.

There are other holes that could be filled and see immediate results.

4th ?? Yeah, now i'm more interested if he's still there.

Then again, he's only 6 foot tall. Not everyone can be Russell Wilson.

Derek Carr anyone?

He's now rumored to be in the 21-25 range.

Could be.....

Not interested.

He reminds me of Blaine Gabbert in that he will rise into the first round, but doesn't really belong there.

I'm hoping his career goes better than Gabbert's, but I won't be surprised when it doesn't.

Yeah, I get the same impression from him, even though they're really not that similar. Carr is more experienced and much more productive at the college level than Gabbert was coming out. I've been meaning to watch some more of his games to get a better feel because I feel like I'm not being fair to the guy.

Lot of Rumors saying bengals interested in Aaron Murry. I have to wonder if they will spend a 3rd on a QB. As a Georgia fan I like Murry, but makes me wonder how this will work out. He does have a bigger arm that's for sure.

I bet AJ would like that.

It could also be smoke. There's been so much questioning of Dalton that it's a no-brainer to talk to a few QBs, whether they are really interested or not.