Bengals Draft

Scottishbengal

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to one of the Hobson articles the Bengals are already starting tentative generic negotiations with AJ and Dalton, whatever that means.

Could be either to put gentle pressure on negotiations with AC or MJ (sign while the money is there sort of scenario) or could be trying to tie up the players longer term perhaps front loading the contracts to use up some of the current cap space that may be available should AC or MJ (or both) leave town.

??????

Derek Carr anyone?

He's now rumored to be in the 21-25 range.

Could be.....

Not interested.

He reminds me of Blaine Gabbert in that he will rise into the first round, but doesn't really belong there.

I'm hoping his career goes better than Gabbert's, but I won't be surprised when it doesn't.

Yeah, I get the same impression from him, even though they're really not that similar. Carr is more experienced and much more productive at the college level than Gabbert was coming out. I've been meaning to watch some more of his games to get a better feel because I feel like I'm not being fair to the guy.

If Derek Carr reminds anyone of Blaine Gabbert, then you have either not watched Carr at all, or have a highly inflated view of Blaine Gabbert.

have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5wr82ZRUjc

Might as well be comparing Russell Wilson to Jeff Blake becuase of height.

Latest from NFL.com mock draft

Dee Ford the DE from Auburn (predicted by Bucky Brooks, Matt Smith, Daniel Jeremiah)

Kony Ealy the DE from Missouri (predicted by Charles Davis)

If MJ heads to Minnesota or Tampa as per news reports of teams expressing significant interest, then maybe a DE will be the Bengals first round choice in the draft.

Isn't Aaron Murray just another version of Andy Dalton?

I made the same comment not long ago Mem.

A short QB with a blown out ACL and problems with batted throws at the line.

If they were going to take a chance on a QB coming off an injury, I would prefer Mettenburg.

Then again, I wouldn't prefer most of the QB prospects in the draft.

Agreed. If people are truly wanting an alternative to Dalton down the road/someone to groom, find someone who would actually be a different type of qb than Dalton. And Murray ain't that.

Here's my thing with the "backup" to Dalton.

There aren't free agent guys that I have a lot of faith (see zero) in coming here.

Dalton is up after this year and what rookie QB to be had after the 2nd round looks to be the guy capable of stepping in for 2015 ??

All that being said, I still don't think Dalton is going anywhere regardless of the 2014 outcome.

I think this should be a telling year, but I think the organization wants him to be the man long term regardless.

If that is the thought, then who cares ?? Bring in a guy with higher upside like Logan Thomas that can be had later.

If you get him to develop, watch out. If not, Dalton is the starter anyway.

Don't piddle around with some broke dick player with concerns when a player can be drafted that actually helps them in 2014.

There aren't free agent guys that I have a lot of faith (see zero) in coming here.

Dalton is up after this year and what rookie QB to be had after the 2nd round looks to be the guy capable of stepping in for 2015 ??

All that being said, I still don't think Dalton is going anywhere regardless of the 2014 outcome.

I think this should be a telling year, but I think the organization wants him to be the man long term regardless.

If that is the thought, then who cares ?? Bring in a guy with higher upside like Logan Thomas that can be had later.

Don't piddle around with some broke dick player with concerns when a player can be drafted that actually helps them in 2014.

Ok, as a VT fan, the thought of Logan Thomas on this team isn't apealing. Why not just keep the other inconsistent running backup QB they have on the team? I'll pass!

Ok, as a VT fan, the thought of Logan Thomas on this team isn't apealing. Why not just keep the other inconsistent running backup QB they have on the team? I'll pass!

Forgot about the man with the insight on Thomas.

I'll go ahead and digress to a degree and simply offer any other developmental QB late.

Strictly based upon my thought process in the previous post.

Forgot about the man with the insight on Thomas.

I'll go ahead and digress to a degree and simply offer any other developmental QB late.

Strictly based upon my thought process in the previous post.

Thomas would have some great games but then completely disappear in others. He's a 50/50 guy. Most of his better games were against lesser competition. His measurables are great. His arm is great. He might make a great backup, I just don't think he's anything special.

Just a re-cap following day 1 of free-agency and seeing how that impacts the thought process of the draft.

We've lost MJ as expected, and Anthony Collins is still in the balance. Andrew Hawkins seems likely to go to Cleveland (I'm not sure the Bengals should match the offer to retain him). Kyle Cook has been shown the door. Pollack, Tate and Mays have re-signed with the team. The Vinny Rey situation seems to have gone ominously quiet.

So here's what some of the draft guru's are predicting as the first round pick for the Bengals :-

LaMarcus Joyner, CB out of Floirda State (Don Banks)

Kyle Fuller, CB out of Virginia Tech (Chris Burke, Pete Prisco, Pat Kirwan)

Jason Verrett, CB out of TCU (Doug Farar, Dane Brugler)

Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG out of UCLA (Rob Rang)

Dee Ford, DE out of Auburn (Will Brinson)

Seems they consider CB is our first priority with 6 out of the 8 pundits predicting a CB

I certainly feel we need to draft a CB somehwere along the line, just not sure if the Bengals No.1 pick is the right place to do it. Perhaps after Free Agency settles down a wee bit things (options) may become a little bit clearer

7 round mock up for the Bengals from Bleacher Report:-

Round 1 : Kony Ealy, DE out of Missouri

Round 2 : Demarcus Lawrence, OLB out of Boise State

Round 3 : Ja'Wuan Jones, OT out of Tennessee

Round 4 : Jordan Tripp, OLB out of Montana

Round 5 : James Gayle, DE out of Virginia Tech

Round 6 : Brent Urban, DT out of Virginia

Round 7 : Tom Savage, QB out of Pittsburgh

Not sure these would all fit the "best player available" at the spots required, and interesting that no Cornerback or Safety is mentioned.

7 round mock up for the Bengals from Bleacher Report:-

Round 1 : Kony Ealy, DE out of Missouri

Round 2 : Demarcus Lawrence, OLB out of Boise State

Round 3 : Ja'Wuan Jones, OT out of Tennessee

Round 4 : Jordan Tripp, OLB out of Montana

Round 5 : James Gayle, DE out of Virginia Tech

Round 6 : Brent Urban, DT out of Virginia

Round 7 : Tom Savage, QB out of Pittsburgh

Not sure these would all fit the "best player available" at the spots required, and interesting that no Cornerback or Safety is mentioned.

Now that's some lazy shit right there.

Since the Bengals lost a DE and OT, they HAVE to go that way early on.

Two OLB's in the first 4 picks ?? Seriously ??

Not a single CB ??

HATE THAT DRAFT !!

Now that I got that rant out of the way, let me say that even with the loss of MJ and AC, i'm still no closer to guessing what they might do in the draft.

There's nothing pinning them to any particular position in the first.

There is depth at CB to be had in the first 3 rounds at least.

With AC gone, I think Whit sliding out is the most appropriate move and I can see another OG early on.

What about OLB ?? After that, what about first name Rey ?? Are any of the guys like Porter from last year healthy ??

Maybe the first round gives us another LB to add if they shake things up in regards to how they line up ??

Porter, Burfict, and Shazier would provide an absolute shitload of speed and aggression with firstname Rey as a nice backup.

Hell, cut first name Rey and keep last name Rey as the backup. There are many options that I would be happy with.

Center becomes an interesting option in the 2nd or 3rd round depending on how they view the guys in the fold right now as well.

I am comfortable with the LB group.

Porter, Joiner and Lamur coming back. Harrison, Rey M., and Burfict in house, and Vinny Rey coming back (crossed fingers). They also have guys like Dimanche and JK, so there is quality dpeth.

Also, Taylor Mays is signed, so they have their hybrid LB/S monster to factor.

I'm feeling good at LB.

-----

CB and D-line is another story.

Porter, Joiner and Lamur coming back. Harrison, Rey M., and Burfict in house, and Vinny Rey coming back (crossed fingers). They also have guys like Dimanche and JK, so there is quality dpeth.

I get what you are saying, but two of the starters (Harrison and firstnameRey) are both free agents after this season.

Many would argue that both of them don't really amount to much and could be upgraded.

I like Harrison's impact on the young guys and think Rey M. would be a good backup.

Everyone else mentioned (minus Vinny, who's not signed) is coming back from an injury.

I like the thought of the guys like Dimanche, Joiner, and especially Porter, but I won't call my level "comfortable".

If everyone comes back healthy, yeah, i'm much closer to that.

It will be interesting to see how the team views things, because I never saw Cook getting the axe either.

I get what you are saying, but two of the starters (Harrison and firstnameRey) are both free agents after this season.

Many would argue that both of them don't really amount to much and could be upgraded.

I like Harrison's impact on the young guys and think Rey M. would be a good backup.

Everyone else mentioned (minus Vinny, who's not signed) is coming back from an injury.

I like the thought of the guys like Dimanche, Joiner, and especially Porter, but I won't call my level "comfortable".

It will be interesting to see how the team views things, because I never saw Cook getting the axe either.

I have no concern with them coming back healthy. Only Lamur had a true season ending injury. Porter and Joiner were strategic IR moves, stashed them to protect them.

Malaluga could still be cut, he counts almost $4M in cap, so the draft or a vet FA could still be in play. There are many attractive LBs on day two and three.

Harrison is showing decent versatility, playing the 5 technique here and there, so there's that in case we are light at DE due to injury or whatnot.

Moves I feel are necessary are Rey M. and Leon H. cut. Sad move for Hall but this is a business and the product is winning games. Well, for most teams.

quote name='TJ Jackson' timestamp='1394725212' post='412263']

Round 1 is officially now LT and they need to pick up a veteran CB like Tarrel Brown in FA too

I did see someone mock us an OG in the first though.

Assuming the top 4 prospects are gone before the 24th pick .. are any of the next 5 worthy of being taken as the Bengals 1st round pick or would that be a bit of a reach? Better to go CB with the first pick and then take whoever is there at pick No.55 ....... ????

I have no concern with them coming back healthy. Only Lamur had a true season ending injury. Porter and Joiner were strategic IR moves, stashed them to protect them.

Malaluga could still be cut, he counts almost $4M in cap, so the draft or a vet FA could still be in play. There are many attractive LBs on day two and three.

Harrison is showing decent versatility, playing the 5 technique here and there, so there's that in case we are light at DE due to injury or whatnot.

Moves I feel are necessary are Rey M. and Leon H. cut. Sad move for Hall but this is a business and the product is winning games. Well, for most teams.

Now Harrison bids us all goodbye...

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/james-harrison-says-goodbye-to-bengals-fans/

Might lend credence to the possiblity of going LB early